Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice/tips/hints as a international student in Canada from the UK

Wikiposts

Looking for advice/tips/hints as a international student in Canada from the UK

Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Danny Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice/tips/hints as a international student in Canada from the UK

Hi guys, been a long time reader but been lurking until now

I'm from the UK and I've been recently confirmed a admissions place at Ryerson University starting in the fall which I'm ridiculously excited about. It will be a bit of a strain on the finances but I know in the end it will all be worth it.
Just wanted to get a bit of advice from people who may have already been in the situation and for developments after graduating, so I do have a few varied questions.

I'm currently in the process of applying for my study permit which seems pretty straightforward and don't see any complications, however I have been wondering if I will need to send in my actual passport or just a copy of the photo page?

Also as my course will last 4 years (perhaps even 3 if I were able to obtain transfer credits from a previous degree) what would my options be if I decided that I wanted to become a PR?
Would I have to apply in my final year or would I have to return back to the UK and file an application from here?

Any tips or hints would be great, I'm still pretty euphoric from getting the news but I'll have to come back down to earth soon and start thinking about a lot of things and any input would be great!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for advice/tips/hints as a international student in Canada from the UK

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
Hi guys, been a long time reader but been lurking until now

I'm from the UK and I've been recently confirmed a admissions place at Ryerson University starting in the fall which I'm ridiculously excited about. It will be a bit of a strain on the finances but I know in the end it will all be worth it.
Just wanted to get a bit of advice from people who may have already been in the situation and for developments after graduating, so I do have a few varied questions.

I'm currently in the process of applying for my study permit which seems pretty straightforward and don't see any complications, however I have been wondering if I will need to send in my actual passport or just a copy of the photo page?

Also as my course will last 4 years (perhaps even 3 if I were able to obtain transfer credits from a previous degree) what would my options be if I decided that I wanted to become a PR?
Would I have to apply in my final year or would I have to return back to the UK and file an application from here?

Any tips or hints would be great, I'm still pretty euphoric from getting the news but I'll have to come back down to earth soon and start thinking about a lot of things and any input would be great!
I have absolutely no idea of anything to do with study permits, but I wanted to send you a huge congratulations and well done on getting into the Uni you wanted.

And well done to you for having the b***s to do it in another country rather than just down the road. It may be a bit more hassle now, but you'll gain massively in the long run and I wish I'd done the same thing all those years ago.......

When I was a lad.....
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Looking for advice/tips/hints as a international student in Canada from the UK

Thanks!

It's been a nailbiting past couple of months while waiting for a decision, just glad it was the decision I was hoping for!

I fully expect it to be tougher than just sticking in the UK, but how boring life would be without challenges!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

You dont have to send in your passport, you just mail a (certified) copy of it.
as for the PR question.... i'm not too sure what your options would be here because you wouldn't be working so skilled worker class might be out of the question... maybe somebody else can answer this one.

Congrats for being admitted to that university though, thats pretty awesome Good luck!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:24 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kleinluka
You dont have to send in your passport, you just mail a (certified) copy of it.
as for the PR question.... i'm not too sure what your options would be here because you wouldn't be working so skilled worker class might be out of the question... maybe somebody else can answer this one.

Congrats for being admitted to that university though, thats pretty awesome Good luck!
1. Canadian experience Class

"You must meet these minimum requirements to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

* plan to live outside the province of Quebec
* be either:
o a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, or
o a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada
* have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization
* apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada
If you study for 3 years in Canada and graduate, you will be eligible for a Post Grad Work permit valid for up to 3 years.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks PMM!

So just to make sure I have it fully clear:
Once I graduate I'll be eligible for a post grad visa for 3 years, within which as long as I work for one full year I'll be eligible for applying for PR?

Is there any concise definition of what 'skilled work experience' is?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:57 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks PMM!

So just to make sure I have it fully clear:
Once I graduate I'll be eligible for a post grad visa for 3 years, within which as long as I work for one full year I'll be eligible for applying for PR?

Is there any concise definition of what 'skilled work experience' is?
1. Yes unless the CEC program changes.
2. Look at the NOC, http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...6/Welcome.aspx the job must be in level A,B or O to be considered skilled.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

igower is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this is relevant, but may just help a little if only with finances!
As a registered international student you can have an on campus work permit for the first 6 months of your study. This can then be converted to an open work permit, providing your university subscribes to the cic rules. I suggest you check, as you would then have the year experience needed for PR.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:42 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by igower
Not sure if this is relevant, but may just help a little if only with finances!
As a registered international student you can have an on campus work permit for the first 6 months of your study. This can then be converted to an open work permit, providing your university subscribes to the cic rules. I suggest you check, as you would then have the year experience needed for PR.
Note the open work permit is for a maximum of 20 hours per week during school sessions.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

ottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the rough

Congrats My daughter is just about to start her exams and will have completed her first year as an international student on 23rd April. If you would like to ask her any questions please pm me, she will be happy to help.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:12 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

check this info out.....my two kids can't work, at all, unless on campus (one's at high school, ones going to uni, this fall) until we get the PR visas. their are 'some' exceptions.....and it's 'really' impossible to get a syn number, with out PR.

well done getting in though....and good luckx

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work.asp
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help and links, they've been invaluble.

Just recieved my offer of admission by mail today so I'm getting it all ready to pack into an envelope and send to the high commission for the study permit.
Just am wondering though, in regards to proof of funds, do they need to be converted to canadian dollars or will a bank statement showing pounds be sufficient.
Also is there a 'cap' that immigration like to see in regards to funds, ie At least 10,000 dollars?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:50 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Thanks for the help and links, they've been invaluble.

Just recieved my offer of admission by mail today so I'm getting it all ready to pack into an envelope and send to the high commission for the study permit.
Just am wondering though, in regards to proof of funds, do they need to be converted to canadian dollars or will a bank statement showing pounds be sufficient.
Also is there a 'cap' that immigration like to see in regards to funds, ie At least 10,000 dollars?
You need to show funds to pay for the first year, and $10K Can for living expenses for the first year.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Just wanted to quickly pop in and say a big thanks once more to everyone who gave advice.
The study permit letter popped on the mat this morning after 8 weeks of waiting, and now have the all clear to jump on over the pond.
Thanks again guys and good luck to all those still waiting!