British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   LMOs and TWPs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/lmos-twps-785182/)

NiceCaribou Jan 25th 2013 9:14 pm

LMOs and TWPs

Hi all,

My wife and I have been looking into moving to Canada (Calgary) for a while. We live in the UK and I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago just on the off chance. The company seems quite interested and I've got an interview on Friday. Can anyone help answer my questions or share their experiences?

I have read up on LMOs and TWPs and PR, and searched this forum but everyone's circumstances are slightly different. Forgive me if this has been discussed but if I am offered the post what is the best way to proceed. I believe I need to ask the employer to get an LMO, which can take up to 8 weeks (is that right), then should I apply for a TWP from the UK, or just fly out there and get one at POE. The latter is quicker as my potential employer won't want to wait months for me to get out there, but at the same time it's kind of scary giving up my job, getting on a plane with a one way ticket and hoping that I get the TWP at the other end - Are they issued immediately at POE? I believe my wife can do the same thing and apply for an open permit, my job would fall under category B of the NOC, so as far as I'm aware that means she can go too and apply for jobs once in Calgary - she is currently a college lecturer in Biology.

Can any one confirm that TWPs can be renewed for up to 4 years (during which time we can both apply for PR), also what happens when my permit initially runs out, does my job have to be re-advertised or do I need another LMO from my employer to renew the TWP (and can they do that without re-advertising). The company has said that they will not sponsor me, which is fair enough, I've read through a lot of the CIC info but it's pretty confusing.

Things are happening pretty quickly and if I am lucky enough to be offered the job I'll need to get things moving. I'd be really grateful for any pointers (sorry for the barrage of questions).

Thanks for reading, Mark

Ailsa n Dave Jan 25th 2013 9:44 pm

Re: LMOs and TWPs

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum :)

Yes you will need an LMO.
You can apply at POE for your TWP, provided you are a UK national with a valid UK passport and your job does not require that you need a medical exam under CIC rules.
If you have all the right paperwork your TWP will be issued immediately at port of entry, the process is quick and painless and takes 10 to 20 mins.
If your role is definitely class as skilled your wife will get an open work permit at the border too.

I'm not sure on renewals process, but once you land you can apply for PR either under the provincial nomination route or the skilled worker route.

Hope this helps :), good luck with your interview!

Ails

Stu_g2004 Jan 25th 2013 11:26 pm

you never mentioned your job, it can change things

NiceCaribou Jan 26th 2013 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004 (Post 10506788)
you never mentioned your job, it can change things

Thanks for the speedy replies both. I work in IT, currently as an application developer/programmer but my interview is for a support based position. It's a step back career-wise but I'm happy to do this to have opportunity to work out there.

christmasoompa Jan 26th 2013 3:37 am

Just one correction to the info in your first post, LMO's are taking around 12-16 weeks at the mo, rather than the 8 weeks you mentioned.

Other than that, it's spot on. Best of luck, hope you get the job.

NiceCaribou Jan 26th 2013 3:43 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10506981)
Just one correction to the info in your first post, LMO's are taking around 12-16 weeks at the mo, rather than the 8 weeks you mentioned.

Other than that, it's spot on. Best of luck, hope you get the job.

Thanks. Any idea with regard to TWP renewals, do I need another LMO, and can I get one without my job being re-advertised?

Stu_g2004 Jan 26th 2013 4:10 am

Originally Posted by NiceCaribou (Post 10506980)
Thanks for the speedy replies both. I work in IT, currently as an application developer/programmer but my interview is for a support based position. It's a step back career-wise but I'm happy to do this to have opportunity to work out there.

shouldnt be a problem in that profession

ninaDGBCA Jan 26th 2013 4:47 am

Originally Posted by NiceCaribou (Post 10506989)
Thanks. Any idea with regard to TWP renewals, do I need another LMO, and can I get one without my job being re-advertised?

Once your initial LMO expires the job has to be readvertised to obtain a 2nd LMO. Usually seems to be no problem but it is a risk.

Once you have the first LMO and TWP at POE (no probs if you have your paperwork with you and it's all correct) you could apply for the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program. I am not sure if you've had to work for a few months or what the conditions are. You might want to have a read : http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...ting/ainp.aspx

The PNPs support the PR process and no more LMOs are needed. And you would get a work permit until a decision is made on your PR.

We did the Ontario equivalent and would always go that route again.

HTH

Former Lancastrian Jan 26th 2013 4:56 am

Originally Posted by NiceCaribou (Post 10506989)

Will you be applying for PR while you are here?
How long is the employer asking for on the initial LMO 1yr 2yr 3yr
New LMOs required for extensions and need to be advertised hence are you looking at a short term or long term stay in Canada.
Most choose to apply for for PNP within that Province while on TWP and then onto PR.

NiceCaribou Jan 26th 2013 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10507077)
Will you be applying for PR while you are here?
How long is the employer asking for on the initial LMO 1yr 2yr 3yr
New LMOs required for extensions and need to be advertised hence are you looking at a short term or long term stay in Canada.
Most choose to apply for for PNP within that Province while on TWP and then onto PR.

Yes, if I get the job I'll need to clarify the term of the LMO, I didn't realise this was an option, I'd presumed they were issued yearly - the company is offering a permanent position so hopefully I can get one for a longer period. I think the PNP route sounds like the way to go for PR. Thanks to NinaDGBCA for suggesting this option too.

BTW - I'm so glad I found this forum, it's been a huge help :D

RKS_in_Calgary Jan 26th 2013 4:20 pm

Yes, if I get the job I'll need to clarify the term of the LMO, I didn't realise this was an option, I'd presumed they were issued yearly - the company is offering a permanent position so hopefully I can get one for a longer period.

In my experience, the LMO period is decided by CIC, so unfortunately neither you or your company have any say in this. It could be granted for 1, 2 or 3 years and you (and your company) will only find out when it granted - it appears to be a bit of a lottery. Good luck with your application. :fingerscrossed:

iamfriendly Jan 28th 2013 9:48 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm in a very similar situation to NiceCaribou (great name, btw). I'm looking for a bit more clarification as I have a Working Holiday Visa which I haven't activated yet (it runs out in May 2013).

I have an interview and the signs are positive that I have a good chance of getting the job. It's a web / app development role. My girlfriend and I are desperate to move to Vancouver (and have been for quite some time) and I was going to use the WHV as a way to stay in Canada to try and get a job.

If (and it's a big if and I'm by no means counting my chickens) I am lucky enough to get a job offer, am I able to do the following:

Work my notice on my current job (~1 month) then go to Vancouver and activate my Working Holiday Visa at the airport which will allow me to start work a little sooner which means the employer wouldn't have to wait for the LMO. (Naturally, I'd ask the employer to apply for the LMO at the same time). Then, when the LMO came through, if successful, I could go to the border and get a TWP.

Is that an option? Or would that horribly complicate things? And if so, would I need to just ask the employer to apply for the LMO and ask them to wait for the 2 months (which could possibly jeopardise things, I would imagine).

What's my best option in the scenario where I am offered the job?

I literally have everything crossed. Also, good luck with the interview NiceCaribou, let us know how you get on!

christmasoompa Jan 28th 2013 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by iamfriendly (Post 10512172)
I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm in a very similar situation to NiceCaribou (great name, btw). I'm looking for a bit more clarification as I have a Working Holiday Visa which I haven't activated yet (it runs out in May 2013).

I have an interview and the signs are positive that I have a good chance of getting the job. It's a web / app development role. My girlfriend and I are desperate to move to Vancouver (and have been for quite some time) and I was going to use the WHV as a way to stay in Canada to try and get a job.

If (and it's a big if and I'm by no means counting my chickens) I am lucky enough to get a job offer, am I able to do the following:

Work my notice on my current job (~1 month) then go to Vancouver and activate my Working Holiday Visa at the airport which will allow me to start work a little sooner which means the employer wouldn't have to wait for the LMO. (Naturally, I'd ask the employer to apply for the LMO at the same time). Then, when the LMO came through, if successful, I could go to the border and get a TWP.

Is that an option? Or would that horribly complicate things? And if so, would I need to just ask the employer to apply for the LMO and ask them to wait for the 2 months (which could possibly jeopardise things, I would imagine).

What's my best option in the scenario where I am offered the job?

I literally have everything crossed. Also, good luck with the interview NiceCaribou, let us know how you get on!

Go over on your IEC if you have one. 2 months is very quick for a LMO, most take 3-4 months, so if you don't think the employer will want to wait (and go through the paperwork/hassle of the LMO appication) then it's far better to go out there and start work on your IEC.

Then once you've proved what an invaluable asset you are, you can ask them to apply for a LMO for you so you can get a 'normal' TWP to give you longer.

The only caveat to the above is that you haven't mentioned what visa your gf has? If she doesn't have an IEC then you may want to go down the LMO/TWP route after all so that she can get a SOWP.

Good luck.

iamfriendly Jan 28th 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10512263)
Go over on your IEC if you have one. 2 months is very quick for a LMO, most take 3-4 months, so if you don't think the employer will want to wait (and go through the paperwork/hassle of the LMO appication) then it's far better to go out there and start work on your IEC.

Then once you've proved what an invaluable asset you are, you can ask them to apply for a LMO for you so you can get a 'normal' TWP to give you longer.

The only caveat to the above is that you haven't mentioned what visa your gf has? If she doesn't have an IEC then you may want to go down the LMO/TWP route after all so that she can get a SOWP.

Good luck.

Hey christmasoompa, ltns :)

Happy New Year!

Thanks - again as always - for such a quick and great answer. It basically clarifies what I thought would be the better option.

My girlfriend doesn't actually have a visa (she just missed out because of her age to get an IEC visa). She's going to stay in the UK until I have things sorted w.r.t a TWP - she may come and visit me on a normal holiday visa. It'll be difficult, but worth it in the long run, we think.

Interview in a few hours...getting nervous!

NiceCaribou Jan 28th 2013 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by iamfriendly (Post 10512269)
Hey christmasoompa, ltns :)

Happy New Year!

Thanks - again as always - for such a quick and great answer. It basically clarifies what I thought would be the better option.

My girlfriend doesn't actually have a visa (she just missed out because of her age to get an IEC visa). She's going to stay in the UK until I have things sorted w.r.t a TWP - she may come and visit me on a normal holiday visa. It'll be difficult, but worth it in the long run, we think.

Interview in a few hours...getting nervous!

Good luck with your interview, let us know how you get on. Yes, I'm just slightly too old to get an IEC otherwise I would have probably looked at doing that.