LMOs and TWPs

Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:14 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Posts: 5
NiceCaribou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMOs and TWPs

Hi all,

My wife and I have been looking into moving to Canada (Calgary) for a while. We live in the UK and I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago just on the off chance. The company seems quite interested and I've got an interview on Friday. Can anyone help answer my questions or share their experiences?

I have read up on LMOs and TWPs and PR, and searched this forum but everyone's circumstances are slightly different. Forgive me if this has been discussed but if I am offered the post what is the best way to proceed. I believe I need to ask the employer to get an LMO, which can take up to 8 weeks (is that right), then should I apply for a TWP from the UK, or just fly out there and get one at POE. The latter is quicker as my potential employer won't want to wait months for me to get out there, but at the same time it's kind of scary giving up my job, getting on a plane with a one way ticket and hoping that I get the TWP at the other end - Are they issued immediately at POE? I believe my wife can do the same thing and apply for an open permit, my job would fall under category B of the NOC, so as far as I'm aware that means she can go too and apply for jobs once in Calgary - she is currently a college lecturer in Biology.

Can any one confirm that TWPs can be renewed for up to 4 years (during which time we can both apply for PR), also what happens when my permit initially runs out, does my job have to be re-advertised or do I need another LMO from my employer to renew the TWP (and can they do that without re-advertising). The company has said that they will not sponsor me, which is fair enough, I've read through a lot of the CIC info but it's pretty confusing.

Things are happening pretty quickly and if I am lucky enough to be offered the job I'll need to get things moving. I'd be really grateful for any pointers (sorry for the barrage of questions).

Thanks for reading, Mark

Last edited by NiceCaribou; Jan 25th 2013 at 9:35 pm.
NiceCaribou is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:44 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Ailsa n Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Was Glasgow Scotland, now Ancaster, Ontario
Posts: 229
Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum

Yes you will need an LMO.
You can apply at POE for your TWP, provided you are a UK national with a valid UK passport and your job does not require that you need a medical exam under CIC rules.
If you have all the right paperwork your TWP will be issued immediately at port of entry, the process is quick and painless and takes 10 to 20 mins.
If your role is definitely class as skilled your wife will get an open work permit at the border too.

I'm not sure on renewals process, but once you land you can apply for PR either under the provincial nomination route or the skilled worker route.

Hope this helps , good luck with your interview!

Ails
Ailsa n Dave is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:26 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta.
Posts: 262
Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

you never mentioned your job, it can change things
Stu_g2004 is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:35 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Posts: 5
NiceCaribou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004
you never mentioned your job, it can change things
Thanks for the speedy replies both. I work in IT, currently as an application developer/programmer but my interview is for a support based position. It's a step back career-wise but I'm happy to do this to have opportunity to work out there.
NiceCaribou is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:37 am
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Just one correction to the info in your first post, LMO's are taking around 12-16 weeks at the mo, rather than the 8 weeks you mentioned.

Other than that, it's spot on. Best of luck, hope you get the job.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:43 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Posts: 5
NiceCaribou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just one correction to the info in your first post, LMO's are taking around 12-16 weeks at the mo, rather than the 8 weeks you mentioned.

Other than that, it's spot on. Best of luck, hope you get the job.
Thanks. Any idea with regard to TWP renewals, do I need another LMO, and can I get one without my job being re-advertised?
NiceCaribou is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:10 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta.
Posts: 262
Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by NiceCaribou
Thanks for the speedy replies both. I work in IT, currently as an application developer/programmer but my interview is for a support based position. It's a step back career-wise but I'm happy to do this to have opportunity to work out there.
shouldnt be a problem in that profession
Stu_g2004 is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:47 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Almonte, ON
Posts: 1,061
ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by NiceCaribou
Thanks. Any idea with regard to TWP renewals, do I need another LMO, and can I get one without my job being re-advertised?
Once your initial LMO expires the job has to be readvertised to obtain a 2nd LMO. Usually seems to be no problem but it is a risk.

Once you have the first LMO and TWP at POE (no probs if you have your paperwork with you and it's all correct) you could apply for the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program. I am not sure if you've had to work for a few months or what the conditions are. You might want to have a read : http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...ting/ainp.aspx

The PNPs support the PR process and no more LMOs are needed. And you would get a work permit until a decision is made on your PR.

We did the Ontario equivalent and would always go that route again.

HTH
ninaDGBCA is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:56 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,868
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by NiceCaribou
Thanks. Any idea with regard to TWP renewals, do I need another LMO, and can I get one without my job being re-advertised?
Will you be applying for PR while you are here?
How long is the employer asking for on the initial LMO 1yr 2yr 3yr
New LMOs required for extensions and need to be advertised hence are you looking at a short term or long term stay in Canada.
Most choose to apply for for PNP within that Province while on TWP and then onto PR.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:46 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Posts: 5
NiceCaribou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Will you be applying for PR while you are here?
How long is the employer asking for on the initial LMO 1yr 2yr 3yr
New LMOs required for extensions and need to be advertised hence are you looking at a short term or long term stay in Canada.
Most choose to apply for for PNP within that Province while on TWP and then onto PR.
Yes, if I get the job I'll need to clarify the term of the LMO, I didn't realise this was an option, I'd presumed they were issued yearly - the company is offering a permanent position so hopefully I can get one for a longer period. I think the PNP route sounds like the way to go for PR. Thanks to NinaDGBCA for suggesting this option too.

BTW - I'm so glad I found this forum, it's been a huge help
NiceCaribou is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:20 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Uk
Posts: 259
RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Yes, if I get the job I'll need to clarify the term of the LMO, I didn't realise this was an option, I'd presumed they were issued yearly - the company is offering a permanent position so hopefully I can get one for a longer period.

In my experience, the LMO period is decided by CIC, so unfortunately neither you or your company have any say in this. It could be granted for 1, 2 or 3 years and you (and your company) will only find out when it granted - it appears to be a bit of a lottery. Good luck with your application.
RKS_in_Calgary is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:48 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 56
iamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really nice
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm in a very similar situation to NiceCaribou (great name, btw). I'm looking for a bit more clarification as I have a Working Holiday Visa which I haven't activated yet (it runs out in May 2013).

I have an interview and the signs are positive that I have a good chance of getting the job. It's a web / app development role. My girlfriend and I are desperate to move to Vancouver (and have been for quite some time) and I was going to use the WHV as a way to stay in Canada to try and get a job.

If (and it's a big if and I'm by no means counting my chickens) I am lucky enough to get a job offer, am I able to do the following:

Work my notice on my current job (~1 month) then go to Vancouver and activate my Working Holiday Visa at the airport which will allow me to start work a little sooner which means the employer wouldn't have to wait for the LMO. (Naturally, I'd ask the employer to apply for the LMO at the same time). Then, when the LMO came through, if successful, I could go to the border and get a TWP.

Is that an option? Or would that horribly complicate things? And if so, would I need to just ask the employer to apply for the LMO and ask them to wait for the 2 months (which could possibly jeopardise things, I would imagine).

What's my best option in the scenario where I am offered the job?

I literally have everything crossed. Also, good luck with the interview NiceCaribou, let us know how you get on!
iamfriendly is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:55 pm
  #13  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by iamfriendly
I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm in a very similar situation to NiceCaribou (great name, btw). I'm looking for a bit more clarification as I have a Working Holiday Visa which I haven't activated yet (it runs out in May 2013).

I have an interview and the signs are positive that I have a good chance of getting the job. It's a web / app development role. My girlfriend and I are desperate to move to Vancouver (and have been for quite some time) and I was going to use the WHV as a way to stay in Canada to try and get a job.

If (and it's a big if and I'm by no means counting my chickens) I am lucky enough to get a job offer, am I able to do the following:

Work my notice on my current job (~1 month) then go to Vancouver and activate my Working Holiday Visa at the airport which will allow me to start work a little sooner which means the employer wouldn't have to wait for the LMO. (Naturally, I'd ask the employer to apply for the LMO at the same time). Then, when the LMO came through, if successful, I could go to the border and get a TWP.

Is that an option? Or would that horribly complicate things? And if so, would I need to just ask the employer to apply for the LMO and ask them to wait for the 2 months (which could possibly jeopardise things, I would imagine).

What's my best option in the scenario where I am offered the job?

I literally have everything crossed. Also, good luck with the interview NiceCaribou, let us know how you get on!
Go over on your IEC if you have one. 2 months is very quick for a LMO, most take 3-4 months, so if you don't think the employer will want to wait (and go through the paperwork/hassle of the LMO appication) then it's far better to go out there and start work on your IEC.

Then once you've proved what an invaluable asset you are, you can ask them to apply for a LMO for you so you can get a 'normal' TWP to give you longer.

The only caveat to the above is that you haven't mentioned what visa your gf has? If she doesn't have an IEC then you may want to go down the LMO/TWP route after all so that she can get a SOWP.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:59 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 56
iamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really nice
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Go over on your IEC if you have one. 2 months is very quick for a LMO, most take 3-4 months, so if you don't think the employer will want to wait (and go through the paperwork/hassle of the LMO appication) then it's far better to go out there and start work on your IEC.

Then once you've proved what an invaluable asset you are, you can ask them to apply for a LMO for you so you can get a 'normal' TWP to give you longer.

The only caveat to the above is that you haven't mentioned what visa your gf has? If she doesn't have an IEC then you may want to go down the LMO/TWP route after all so that she can get a SOWP.

Good luck.
Hey christmasoompa, ltns

Happy New Year!

Thanks - again as always - for such a quick and great answer. It basically clarifies what I thought would be the better option.

My girlfriend doesn't actually have a visa (she just missed out because of her age to get an IEC visa). She's going to stay in the UK until I have things sorted w.r.t a TWP - she may come and visit me on a normal holiday visa. It'll be difficult, but worth it in the long run, we think.

Interview in a few hours...getting nervous!
iamfriendly is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:19 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Posts: 5
NiceCaribou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMOs and TWPs

Originally Posted by iamfriendly
Hey christmasoompa, ltns

Happy New Year!

Thanks - again as always - for such a quick and great answer. It basically clarifies what I thought would be the better option.

My girlfriend doesn't actually have a visa (she just missed out because of her age to get an IEC visa). She's going to stay in the UK until I have things sorted w.r.t a TWP - she may come and visit me on a normal holiday visa. It'll be difficult, but worth it in the long run, we think.

Interview in a few hours...getting nervous!
Good luck with your interview, let us know how you get on. Yes, I'm just slightly too old to get an IEC otherwise I would have probably looked at doing that.
NiceCaribou is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.