LMO approved

Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

domingo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO approved, TWP question?

I have been using this forum to seek information over the last year; although I have only joined up today, as I need to ask some advice;

I have been with my Canadian girlfriend for over 2 years, I am a UK citizen;

She came over to be with me for 5 months, in the UK, while I was finishing my degree, and then over the last 18 months we have been visiting each other in Canada every couple of months, this culminated in me making the decision that I was going to move to Canada.

In September 09 I came over to Canada (Manitoba) on a visitors visa, and was successful in getting a job offer pretty quickly as a social worker in Children and Family services.

We had initially planned for me to stay in Canada, and then flagpole, but unfortunately the first LMO was declined, as they said that the wage being offered was not in comparison to the national average. This was largely in part that Manitoba's average wage is lower then the national wage.

We resolved this as my future employer agreed to increase my pay, and I extended my visitors permit for a further month, unfortunately due to money issues, I had to return back to the UK before my date of return.

Before I returned back to the UK we had decided to get married, after having to postpone our wedding plans last year, because a marriage visa was declined for her to come to the UK, which I won't go into, but will say this will was due to ineptness of the officials in UK immigration.

We also thought that if the 2nd LMO was declined, then we would apply through the spousal route, as the conjugal route seemed to say that we had needed to be living together for a minimum of 12 months, which we have done in total, only having breaks of 1-2 months at a time.

The LMO has been approved now, and I am going to apply for my temporary work permit, which is valid for 12 months, unfortunately it was approved 3 days after I have arrived back in the UK.

Ok so the question is, can I apply for my temporary work permit at the Canadian embassy in London, I have checked the website but its not quite clear?

Also as a social worker do I need to have a medical, the reason being is that my employer is anxious for me to start work asap. If not then I thought the most viable option would be to apply for my TWP on landing at the airport.

I hope someone can help with this.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by domingo; Feb 11th 2010 at 6:05 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice
Default Re: LMO approved

You can apply for a TWP at CHC London, pretty much everything you need to know is on their website

You will need to have a medical since you will be working with children (im guessing?). The London website says that it could take 6 weeks for you to get the med request through after applying but we just got ours through after just 2 weeks So hopefully it shouldn't take to long for you either.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

domingo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMO approved

Originally Posted by readytomove
You can apply for a TWP at CHC London, pretty much everything you need to know is on their website

You will need to have a medical since you will be working with children (im guessing?). The London website says that it could take 6 weeks for you to get the med request through after applying but we just got ours through after just 2 weeks So hopefully it shouldn't take to long for you either.
I was wondering if you could apply for TWP in person and get a decision the same day but I am guessing not, as its only saying drop box or mail.

In regards to the medical, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to have one as the only things I have seen about is child care workers, and nurses etc, or elderly vulnerable people. When was this you applied for yours?

If so, then the whole application needs to be done from post which I suppose gives a sense of assurance because my understanding is that TWP are rarely declined if you have a letter from the CIC approving it.