Wikiposts

LMO

Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

jon67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question LMO

hi can any1 give me an info please, once you have your LMO do you have to apply for a work permit before you arrive in canada or can you apply when you land at immigration
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:43 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMO

It depends from the job - if job requires medicals to be done prior to issuance of work permit (and for few other reasons) you cannot apply for WP at the port of entry, you must apply through proper visa post.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

jon67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It depends from the job - if job requires medicals to be done prior to issuance of work permit (and for few other reasons) you cannot apply for WP at the port of entry, you must apply through proper visa post.
thanks andrew, the reason i ask is when i was at calgary last year immigration told me i can pay for work permit on arriving and i just have to show my LMO. i did not think it was that easy.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon67
thanks andrew, the reason i ask is when i was at calgary last year immigration told me i can pay for work permit on arriving and i just have to show my LMO. i did not think it was that easy.
Hi Jon

yes it is that easy as long as you have your LMO and a copy of your job offer to show the IO then yuo should be ok.

Good Luck

Gaynor
x
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:49 am
Just Joined

laydee76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya- I also have a question on this.

My husband has a job offer and we have been told that if we pay a fee we will be given our LMO (without the need for medicals) and then we just pick up our work visa's upon entry to Canada.

Is this correct? Do we need to pay again when we arrive in Canada?

Thanks!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laydee76

My husband has a job offer and we have been told that if we pay a fee we will be given our LMO (without the need for medicals) and then we just pick up our work visa's upon entry to Canada.

Thanks!!
without more details that question is impossible to answer.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:34 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!!

There is no fee for a LMO.

For work permit you either:
(a) Apply to London, with payment of WP fees. You'll then recieve a letter authorising WP to be issued at port of entry (no fees at port of entry)
OR
(b) Go straight to Canada and get WP issued at port of entry, in this case you pay WP fee at port of entry

In neither case should you be paying anyone other than CIC canada. Be wary of "employers" asking for payments to get WP issued.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. The fee is for a broker who is arranging our visa's following a Job Offer.

He has advised that we will receive a LMO and that we can then come to Vancouver and pick up our WP when we arrive.

Does this sound normal! I just don't want any surprises or additional fees upon arrival!

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:55 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

If you pick up your work permits at the airport you will have to pay CIC's fees there. $150 each. Plus study permits if you have kids.

If you've got an LMO and are picking up your WP at the airport there's very little that a broker could do that would help things along.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:29 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. The fee is for a broker who is arranging our visa's following a Job Offer.

He has advised that we will receive a LMO and that we can then come to Vancouver and pick up our WP when we arrive.

Does this sound normal! I just don't want any surprises or additional fees upon arrival!

Thanks
How much is the fee? Seems a little strange to me - did the broker get you the job offer?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
If you pick up your work permits at the airport you will have to pay CIC's fees there. $150 each. Plus study permits if you have kids.

If you've got an LMO and are picking up your WP at the airport there's very little that a broker could do that would help things along.
What if you don't need an LMO can you get a WP at the airport with a job offer,
My husbands IT according to CIC doesn't need an LMO ? is the study permits for all children and how much is it ? does anyone know.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rob_999
How much is the fee? Seems a little strange to me - did the broker get you the job offer?
Hiya - yep the broker got my husband the job offer from a legit company in Vancouver (already checked that out). So I guess his fee is to do all the paperwork etc and assist us in bypassing the interview processes - he is offering a 2 year WV for both of us and the company have agreed to sponser us if we wish to apply for perm residency
Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

bootlecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya - yep the broker got my husband the job offer from a legit company in Vancouver (already checked that out). So I guess his fee is to do all the paperwork etc and assist us in bypassing the interview processes - he is offering a 2 year WV for both of us and the company have agreed to sponser us if we wish to apply for perm residency
Thanks
Even though the IT route doesn't technically need an LMO, I would still get one in your position for the following reasons...

1) You need to find out what class of occupation your husband is going to get, if it doesn't fit into 0,A or B classes you won't be able to work without applying seperately.

2) If he has an employer, they can easily apply for an LMO, mine took 3 weeks from application to coming through (I know others have waited months but either way its not forever). Once you have an LMO you know that CIC views the work you are doing as important.

3) The Immigration Officer may decide that your specific branch of IT isn't covered by this exemption, I know mine isn't and I'm a Manager of a large IT Consultancy, although many of my staff would be.

4) The broker can't offer you a two year visa, only CIC can, having an LMO declares how long CIC see the need for your skills and therefore is a meaningful pointer to the immigration officer as to how long to issue a WP for.

Finally if you have kids make sure you apply for a study permit at the Point Of Entry (or before). You can't get them from inside the country without jumping through hoops and without them you will have to pay for your kids education (but you will also be required by law to send them to school), its about 10000 CAD when I last checked.

I landed at Pearson (Toronto, Ontario) and we didn't need a study permit only a note on my wifes WP that my daughter accompanied us. Apparently this is all you need in Ontario (must be true she's at school). Saves you 150CAD. Incidentally I'm the main applicant as its my job that entitles us to the WP but for some reason child details always seem to go on the mothers permit.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bootlecat
Even though the IT route doesn't technically need an LMO, I would still get one in your position for the following reasons...

1) You need to find out what class of occupation your husband is going to get, if it doesn't fit into 0,A or B classes you won't be able to work without applying seperately.

2) If he has an employer, they can easily apply for an LMO, mine took 3 weeks from application to coming through (I know others have waited months but either way its not forever). Once you have an LMO you know that CIC views the work you are doing as important.

3) The Immigration Officer may decide that your specific branch of IT isn't covered by this exemption, I know mine isn't and I'm a Manager of a large IT Consultancy, although many of my staff would be.

4) The broker can't offer you a two year visa, only CIC can, having an LMO declares how long CIC see the need for your skills and therefore is a meaningful pointer to the immigration officer as to how long to issue a WP for.

Finally if you have kids make sure you apply for a study permit at the Point Of Entry (or before). You can't get them from inside the country without jumping through hoops and without them you will have to pay for your kids education (but you will also be required by law to send them to school), its about 10000 CAD when I last checked.

I landed at Pearson (Toronto, Ontario) and we didn't need a study permit only a note on my wifes WP that my daughter accompanied us. Apparently this is all you need in Ontario (must be true she's at school). Saves you 150CAD. Incidentally I'm the main applicant as its my job that entitles us to the WP but for some reason child details always seem to go on the mothers permit.
My OH is IT i am confused as to why an employer would go to the trouble of getting LMO if its not needed ? you were very lucky 3 weeks some have been 9 months on here ? whats the advantage of cic viewing your job as important, we have skilled worker PR in would this in anyway help that ?
Does it depend on area ?
cost for child study permit is $125 per child, someone n another thread has just done one today.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

coolmum1 is a jewel in the roughcoolmum1 is a jewel in the roughcoolmum1 is a jewel in the roughcoolmum1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
hi andrew my hubby got job offer but yust intrested how long will LMO TAKE we moveing to ontairo any help required.its been sent in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.