LMIA Advice

Old Dec 11th 2015, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

dl144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMIA Advice

Hi there,

Been reading this forum a while but my research hit a wall so I thought I'd register and ask!

My wife and I are looking to emigrate from UK sometime in the next couple of years but having doing a bit of reading we'd fall just short of the CRS points needed (420ish!).

What I was trying to figure out is once in the EE pool can you apply for jobs from outside Canada and hopefully get an offer and LMIA or is it more intended for those currently working or living within Canada temporarily?

If not, I think we are snookered. We have Canadian relatives but I think they'd be deemed too distant to be valid sponsorship!

Cheers,
Old Dec 15th 2015, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMIA Advice

Yes you can apply for jobs in Canada whilst in the EE pools. In fact I believe you need to register with jobbank as part of the process of going into a EE pool. Unfortunately it is very hard to find a job in Canada at distance. In essence you are trying to convince an employer to spend $1000+ on a LMIA for you plus all the hassle and paperwork without having even met you. Take a look at the wiki on job hunting but be aware you will probably need to go to Canada and job hunt in person if you are going to convince someone to apply for an LMIA for you.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, that thought did cross my mind, trying to convince and employer to not only hire a non-landed immigrant but then potentially wait 6 months for that person to become landed.

Although I did read somewhere, struggling to find the source may have the CIC itself or even the above wiki, but employers who apply for a LMIA for a candidate in the EE pool are exempt from the $1000 fee, only those who apply for the dual purpose LMIA pay?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Found where I read about LMIA fee. Thought I would add it on if others wanted a look. The paragraph above the first note highlighted in blue.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/index.asp

Last edited by dl144; Dec 15th 2015 at 12:33 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

You may be rightLook under 'How will the Express Entry system benefit employers in Canada?' Notice – Express Entry questions and answers Former Lancastrian is the best person to clarify
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

If that's the case it's a massive bonus, but may still be tricky to convince an employer to hire someone who is still outside the country. Only time will tell.

I'm due across in a few months, hopefully make a few connections then!
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good luck, looking at anywhere in particular? I would imagine having the threat of a $1000 fee lifted would be an encouragement. Best thing to do would be to think about what you can do that no Canadian is likely to be able to so they can secure the LMIA. What experiences do you have that you cant get in Canada and why might these be essential/beneficial for a Canadian employer.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Cheers! Primarily looking at Toronto and the wider region, seen a few job vacancies Waterloo/Kitchener way as well. But that's mainly due to family we have there.

I'm happy to look anywhere we can get the jobs to get in really.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dl144
If that's the case it's a massive bonus, but may still be tricky to convince an employer to hire someone who is still outside the country. Only time will tell.
Don't forget though, that if the employer does the free LMIA app, you can't start working for them until you get PR. So although they'll save $1000, they'll need to be happy to wait 6 months or more for you to be able to start work - a lot of employers may prefer to pay the fee so that you can start sooner, depending on how in demand your skills are.

Best of luck.