LMIA

Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Fatim Ladak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMIA

Hi all new to this so bare with me, relocating to canada husband got a job offer we accepted the offer and signed contract back in December company have applied for the LMIA we still waiting have sent husbands NVQS to Ontario Apprenticeship back in February... It's been almost 3 months not heard anything from the Agency as the are dealing with all the paper work.. It's abit frustrating not knowing how long before we hear from them as husband had to start work in Toronto in February. We are family of five me my husband and 3 boys aged 21, 17, and 16. Now the agency has sent a link on visas for children I'm confused to what visa my elder son needs been reading up on this forum for awhile now as time is coming close to that we might hear from the agency soon now have to deal with the visas for the 21 year old son... Please help many thanks

FL
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMIA

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Fatim Ladak
It's been almost 3 months not heard anything from the Agency as the are dealing with all the paper work..
LMIA's can take quite a bit longer, so don't worry yet.

Now the agency has sent a link on visas for children I'm confused to what visa my elder son needs
Your son can't go on your visa application as he's not considered a 'dependent child' at age 21 (only those aged 19 and under are), so he'll need to qualify for a visa in his own right if he wants to move to Canada too.

HTH, and good luck, hope the LMIA is positive and you hear soon.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the reply was wondering what visa would we apply for him he does want to move with us.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the reply was wondering what visa would we apply for him he does want to move with us.
As he's so young, I can't imagine he'd have the skills or experience necessary to get any kind of work based visa, so I think your only options would be a study permit, or IEC which is an open work permit for those aged 30 and under.

The trouble is that for IEC he'll need to be incredibly quick, visas go within minutes and the 2nd round is about to open any day now. Once the visas for 2015 have gone, he'll have to wait until early 2016 to apply.

Do also be aware that if you plan to stay longer term, he couldn't go on your PR application either, so he'll need to plan and see if he can think of a way to get PR (again, trickier without skills and/or experience), or be prepared to return to the UK after his study permit/IEC ends. What does he do and does he have a degree?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

It would have ot be a visa he qualifies for - so you'll have to do some research and see what he might be eligible for. CIC views him as an adult, he has to completely qualify in his own right.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:47 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

as has been pointed out , you CANT apply for a visa for him.
he'd have to work out if he is eligible in his own right and apply himself (unfortunately it is highly unlikely that he is eligible for his own visa)
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all I was looking at the IEC programme but was so confused how to apply and as Christmasoompa said they go quick at the moment he is assisting account and he wanted to further it as we got it canada... Would he not be able it apply for a work permit once he is there or is that trickey initial your agent told us that we would be able to get the visa for me and him on port of entry... Will I get mine on the port? And what do i need to do for the IEC programme...
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:06 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

For IEC, read the wiki article. The IEC program will give your son a 2-year work visa for Canada. However, spaces are EXTREMELY limited and disappear EXTREMELY quickly. It opens in 3 rounds, each with a cap. The first round opened last week for 2500 spaces and was closed within 12 minutes. So when we say it goes quickly, IT GOES QUICKLY. Your son will have to be online RIGHT when it opens and will have to get his application in insanely quickly. There are two rounds left which will together give another ~3000 spaces, roughly ~1500 in each round. CIC will post on their website when the program is opening. There is a very active IEC thread.

However, do not go there and ask "How can I apply for an IEC visa" - people here won't do your research for you. There's a wiki article, there's CIC's webpage and there are dozens of threads on the board here on the subject.

As for you and your kids, I *think* (and someone will step in if I'm incorrect) that you can get visas on the back of your husband's work permit, and your permits I believe can be applied for at the port of entry.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

How do I know when the IEC opens
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you all I was looking at the IEC programme but was so confused how to apply and as Christmasoompa said they go quick
They go within minutes. Most of the people applying for the next round will be those that missed out in the first round too, so they're already ahead of him in terms of having an account set up set - he'll be starting from scratch. Realistically, his chances are 50/50 at best of getting an IEC this year.

Would he not be able it apply for a work permit once he is there
If he can find an employer prepared to apply for a LMIA for him, and it's granted, then yes he can - it would be exactly the same process as it was for your husband. The difficulty is that as a 21 year old without skills in demand, he's highly unlikely to find an employer prepared to spend $1000, do lots of paperwork and wait months for him to start work.

your agent told us that we would be able to get the visa for me and him on port of entry...
Your 'agent' is incorrect. You can get a visa as a dependent on your husband's application (it may or may not entitle you to work, depending on your husband's job), as can your other children (they definitely can't work), but your elder son can't as he's not a dependent. If your agent really told you that he was a dependent, then I'd query what else he's told you that's wrong! Is he definitely ICCRC registered?

And what do i need to do for the IEC programme...
You don't need to do anything, your son needs to do it himself. Get him to research it (urgently) and be ready to apply the minute the 2nd round opens.

The above is of course assuming he's a citizen of a country that's eligible for IEC, is he a UK citizen?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 19th 2015 at 6:10 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You (well, actually your son as he's an adult and I'm assuming won't be relying on his mother to do this for him) check the website. Repeatedly.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:11 pm
Concierge

From my post:

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
CIC will post on their website when the program is opening. There is a very active IEC thread.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

have sent husbands NVQS to Ontario Apprenticeship back in February... It's been almost 3 months not heard anything from the Agency
Presuming he is waiting to be able to sit the C of Q? NVQ is not a straight swap, he needs to qualify to sit the trades exam, then take the exam in Canada.

Ontario College of Trades ยป Exam Process and Preparation
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the information.
Avitator we have applied for a journey men trade 310T I think I've got it right..
We are all UK citizens
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:53 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

On the basis your husband doesn't even have a valid work permit yet, it may be that it doesn't matter if he misses this year's IEC rounds. It seems like you still have a way to go before any of you are eligible for a visa. If this drags on like it usually seems to, your eldest son could come over as a visitor for up to 6 months. The only thing is he couldn't work. Then he could apply for the IEC programme next year.

Is the intention to move here for good? If so, be prepared for the fact your son may not be coming with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.