Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living in BC with a work permit - next step?

Living in BC with a work permit - next step?

Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Living in BC with a work permit - next step?

Hi there,

We moved to BC from the UK in April 2005. I have a HRDC approved work permit, which has just been renewed for a further 3 years. I would like to ask some questions about obtaining Permanent Residency:

1. Is it a more complicated process to apply for Permanent Residency once you are living in Canada?

2. Is it more effective to use the Provincial Nominee Program? My employer is willing to help me with this.

3. I read that you can apply for citizenship once you had lived in Canada for three years. Does this require me to obtain PR first? Or can I live on a work permit for 3 years, and then apply for citizenship?

Many thanks for any advice,

Sarah
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in BC with a work permit - next step?

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi there,

We moved to BC from the UK in April 2005. I have a HRDC approved work permit, which has just been renewed for a further 3 years. I would like to ask some questions about obtaining Permanent Residency:

1. Is it a more complicated process to apply for Permanent Residency once you are living in Canada?

2. Is it more effective to use the Provincial Nominee Program? My employer is willing to help me with this.

3. I read that you can apply for citizenship once you had lived in Canada for three years. Does this require me to obtain PR first? Or can I live on a work permit for 3 years, and then apply for citizenship?

Many thanks for any advice,

Sarah

1. No real difference, except you have the choice of applying to CIC Buffalo instead of London.

2. With current processing times for regular skilled migration, you should look hard at the PNP option. Alternatively, some CIC offices will prioritise cases where the applicant has a work permit in Canada, but in some circumstances only. You will need professional advice to analyse the option in more detail.

3. You need PR before you can think of applying for citizenship. The 3 year residence period must normally be as PR, however time in Canada before PR gives credit as half-time. They only look back 4 years when you apply for citizenship, so the maximum credit you can get for temporary residence is 2 years temporary * 50% = 1 year credit, plus 2 years as PR to get citizenship. Details at http://www.cic.gc.ca
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in BC with a work permit - next step?

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. No real difference, except you have the choice of applying to CIC Buffalo instead of London.

2. With current processing times for regular skilled migration, you should look hard at the PNP option. Alternatively, some CIC offices will prioritise cases where the applicant has a work permit in Canada, but in some circumstances only. You will need professional advice to analyse the option in more detail.

3. You need PR before you can think of applying for citizenship. The 3 year residence period must normally be as PR, however time in Canada before PR gives credit as half-time. They only look back 4 years when you apply for citizenship, so the maximum credit you can get for temporary residence is 2 years temporary * 50% = 1 year credit, plus 2 years as PR to get citizenship. Details at http://www.cic.gc.ca
Hi Jaj,

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful. I think we will be submitting a PNP application, as we want to continue living in BC.

Many thanks,

Sarah