Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Living 6 months per year as visitor?

Living 6 months per year as visitor?

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

CapnJack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living 6 months per year as visitor?

Hello all,

Im a brit working as a seafarer, I work 2 months on/ 2 months off at work. I've been dreaming of having a cabin in the wilderness for a long time and can't find anything that suits my ideas in the UK.

I started looking at Canada and found many places exactly like I want and for relatively cheap!

Are there any issues ive not see with the idea of spending 2 months at a time, 3 times a year, in Canada?

From what I've read I shouldn't have a problem buying land and building on it?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living 6 months per year as visitor?

It could become a problem but will be dependent on a number of factors. Do you have a permanent residence in the UK? Is the employer based in the UK. Any other ties to the UK?

Read this link re Seasonal Residents

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-3-eng.html
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

CapnJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It could become a problem but will be dependent on a number of factors. Do you have a permanent residence in the UK? Is the employer based in the UK. Any other ties to the UK?

Read this link re Seasonal Residents

Thanks for the reply and the link. I suppose I would be a seasonal resident, though not until I own a place for 3 years?

My employers and income do not come from the UK, I work for a foreign company. I don't own a place in the UK. Though I intend to buy for investment reasons.

I used to live in singapore in my leave previously as you can also stay 6 months per year there. Though I never bought property there. I was hoping to have a similar set up in Canada except I would like to own a place.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Every time you enter Canada you have to satisfy an officer that you won't work/study in Canada and will leave at the end of your stay. Yours is a unique situation but still subject to these requirements. You can be allowed to stay up to 6 months at a time but an officer can also restrict time allowed in again dependent upon a number of factors. Without having a permanent place in the UK you might face extra scrutiny. I suggest if doing this you have a return ticket each time and a letter from your employer stating when you are expected back at work etc. You can certainly buy a property in Canada and just visit without being a seasonal resident. Im assuming you are a merchant seaman.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 9:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As well as the possibility of being refused entry without a visa allowing you to live in Canada, do think of the practicalities i.e. you could be deemed to be tax resident in Canada if that's your only home, but you won't be eligible for healthcare so will need good private cover, etc.

Good luck.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 2:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Tax residency
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...cy-status.html
Old Feb 4th 2019, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Every time you enter Canada you have to satisfy an officer that you won't work/study in Canada and will leave at the end of your stay. Yours is a unique situation but still subject to these requirements. You can be allowed to stay up to 6 months at a time but an officer can also restrict time allowed in again dependent upon a number of factors. Without having a permanent place in the UK you might face extra scrutiny. I suggest if doing this you have a return ticket each time and a letter from your employer stating when you are expected back at work etc. You can certainly buy a property in Canada and just visit without being a seasonal resident. Im assuming you are a merchant seaman.
I always wonder just how lucky I was the first time I landed at YVR. I landed as a 20 year old with my Canadian girlfriend of 4 months (now wife!), with all my possessions in 2 cases and no return flight. I was completely open and honest about my intention for us to live there and look for a job so we could stay together. They sent me to secondary room where they asked me more about that, then gave me a 6 month visitor permit! We moved to the UK 5 months later (after getting married) and after 12 years we are about to move back to BC (with PR this time!).

Were things different back in 2007, or were we extremely lucky? I've since seen so many similar people get turned around crying on Border Force Canada

Completely off topic, sorry
Old Feb 4th 2019, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brooks52
I always wonder just how lucky I was the first time I landed at YVR. I landed as a 20 year old with my Canadian girlfriend of 4 months (now wife!), with all my possessions in 2 cases and no return flight. I was completely open and honest about my intention for us to live there and look for a job so we could stay together. They sent me to secondary room where they asked me more about that, then gave me a 6 month visitor permit! We moved to the UK 5 months later (after getting married) and after 12 years we are about to move back to BC (with PR this time!).

Were things different back in 2007, or were we extremely lucky? I've since seen so many similar people get turned around crying on Border Force Canada

Completely off topic, sorry
No things weren't different. They gave you a 6 month visitor record and you departed before it expired. Now they could have taken the position that because of your situation (Canadian g/f) most likely will work/study without authorization and not leave so refuse entry or give you a 1 month visitor record. Rules were the same all dependent on the examining officer and each one makes their own decisions. Some are hard assed some are more liberal. As long as the decision the officer makes is legal then there can be different outcomes due to a variety of other factors.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 9:44 pm
Banned

mc1995 is an unknown quantity at this point

No things weren't different. They gave you a 6 month visitor record and you departed before it expired. Now they could have taken the position that because of your situation (Canadian g/f) most likely will work/study without authorization and not leave so refuse entry or give you a 1 month visitor record. Rules were the same all dependent on the examining officer and each one makes their own decisions. Some are hard assed some are more liberal. As long as the decision the officer makes is legal then there can be different outcomes due to a variety of other factors.
Hi Former Lancastrian - I know every decision is based on the officer, but hoping for your advice as we are in a similar situation. I'm a Canadian citizen who has been living abroad, but temporarily back in Canada for a short period of study, before moving back to abroad. I'm hoping my American girlfriend can come up to visit me for the several months that I am still here in Canada, before we both leave again. What evidence should we provide at the border to help our chances?

She is employed by a non-Canadian company (non-Canadian clients) and part of the reason she would be able to visit for a couple months, is she is still able to do some work remotely on her laptop when she is out of the country. What employment letter would be required in this case? Although CIC states this is legal, some have advised not to bring this up unless asked?

She currently rents her home, but is planning to move in with her parents to save money - is that not as good as having her own rented place? What proof is needed to establish her residence elsewhere if she lives with her parents?

I know the fact that I'm a Canadian citizen here in country can be a unfavorable factor for this assessment - would it help for me to show proof I am interviewing for jobs abroad only (to show I too am not planning to stay and live here, and thus she has no reason either)?

With regards to proof of funds, she will be staying with me when she is visiting, so the most expensive thing which is accommodations is taken care of. If she does not have thousands upon thousands of dollars in her bank account, can the fact that she will still be paid by her overseas employer for her remote work substitute for that? Does me stating I will fund her during her visit help? (I heard from some sources that only her personal funds are accounted for, and me saying I will support her only provides evidence that she may overstay).

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your situation is slightly different as you are a Canadian. Interviewing for jobs is not a guarantee that you will get one so what happens if you don't get an overseas job? Yes she can work remotely but how long will she be staying for?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

mchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Your situation is slightly different as you are a Canadian. Interviewing for jobs is not a guarantee that you will get one so what happens if you don't get an overseas job? Yes she can work remotely but how long will she be staying for?
We meant similar to Brooks52 who came in with his Canadian girlfriend.

Does it change anything that I am a Canadian citizen but a US permanent resident (so I’m not even allowed out of the US for an extended period of time) so that is reason for me to be returning. Staying any longer than this temporary absence would jeopardize my status.

We haven’t decided exactly, but couple weeks up to couple months (knowing well the maximum if allowed is 6). Our full intention to just to minimize the long distance while I’m up here, and both leave once my training here is done in the beginning of the summer, I’m just trying to get some insight as how we can show legimately and convincingly that to a CBSA officer.

In terms of family ties, does only dependent children/parents qualify as a reason to return, as opposed to a non-dependent parent? Doesn’t it make it hard for a non-married, childless young adult to prove family ties in that case?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is it your intention to find work in the USA when you say abroad? The big red flag for me is that you are a Canadian citizen so allowed to remain in Canada permanently and your g/f is a US citizen so there is some risk that she might not return to the USA. If only staying for up to 2 months and she can bring some evidence that she is required back at work in the USA by X date then that would help. No matter how many times this question is rephrased or additional info given nobody can give you a definitive answer as the final decision rests with the examining officer on entry and what is said or produced during the examination.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:04 am
Just Joined

mchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond reputemchy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it your intention to find work in the USA when you say abroad? The big red flag for me is that you are a Canadian citizen so allowed to remain in Canada permanently and your g/f is a US citizen so there is some risk that she might not return to the USA. If only staying for up to 2 months and she can bring some evidence that she is required back at work in the USA by X date then that would help. No matter how many times this question is rephrased or additional info given nobody can give you a definitive answer as the final decision rests with the examining officer on entry and what is said or produced during the examination.
Thanks, I understand your disclaimers, but rest assured we’re not going to be at the border telling the CBSA “but Former Lancastrian on BE said this”.

I’m giving details and asking questions not to convince you (I get your answer on this forum doesn’t affect her admittance in anyway). I know that our intentions are not to overstay, but merely to close the distance between us for the remainder of the short period I am temporarily in Canada. You guys have perspective into the CBSA thought process, and I’m hoping the insight can help us provide the best evidence we can to help the officer of see our truthfully harmless intentions.

Yes, I am planning to return to the US for work, as I have to return by the “end of a temporary absence” aka the completion of my short term training period in Canada, in order to preserve my green card/US residency. In my mind this shows further proof that even I am not going to stay long term, and thus neither will she. Would this be compelling evidence in anyway?

Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All you can do is have any evidence that you both would be returning to the USA at some stage be it a job offer from a US employer, rental agreement for a place in the USA or where you will be living etc etc. Give definitive dates as opposed to well maybe up to 2 months etc and definitive plans of returning to the USA. Just tell the truth.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:10 am
Just Joined

All you can do is have any evidence that you both would be returning to the USA at some stage be it a job offer from a US employer, rental agreement for a place in the USA or where you will be living etc etc. Give definitive dates as opposed to well maybe up to 2 months etc and definitive plans of returning to the USA. Just tell the truth.
Thanks FL. You mentioned 2 months a couple times m - is it a stretch for anything more? How are people who are actually looking to establish common law with the initial 6 mo + 6mo extension able to get through (isn’t their scenario even more at risk for overstay?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.