Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Less than 6 months for Passport to expire?

Less than 6 months for Passport to expire?

Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

barcomi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Less than 6 months for Passport to expire?

Hi guys,

We have received confirmation of permanent residence through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, which says we must arrive in Canada on or before 26 July 2015.

Initially we were planning to fly to Canada around the 15 July 2015, but just realized my passport expires on the 30 December 2015.

My question is, would I be allowed to fly with a passport that has less than 6 months to expire?
Should we fly in June 2015 to be on the safe side?
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Less than 6 months for Passport to expire?

Hi

Originally Posted by barcomi
Hi guys,

We have received confirmation of permanent residence through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, which says we must arrive in Canada on or before 26 July 2015.

Initially we were planning to fly to Canada around the 15 July 2015, but just realized my passport expires on the 30 December 2015.

My question is, would I be allowed to fly with a passport that has less than 6 months to expire?
Should we fly in June 2015 to be on the safe side?

1. Not an issue. As long as your passport is valid on the day you "land" then you are fine.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Not an issue. As long as your passport is valid on the day you "land" then you are fine.
PMM, thank you for the information. Panicking a bit, as we e-mailed the Canadian Embassy in the UK, and got the following reply:

We are unable to guarantee that you will be able to travel with your chosen airline with less than 6 months validity on your passport.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Contact the airline and tell them you will be landing as PRs.
Canada doesn't have the at least 6 months validity left on a passport so its an airline rule as opposed to an Immigration requirement. You have plenty of time to renew.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Contact the airline and tell them you will be landing as PRs.
Canada doesn't have the at least 6 months validity left on a passport so its an airline rule as opposed to an Immigration requirement. You have plenty of time to renew.
Will do some investigation next week. Planning to purchase tickets through Canadian Affair, which use Airtransat.

Thank you guys for the help.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

why not just renew your passport?
Old Nov 30th 2014, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004
why not just renew your passport?
Because the passport number is on the CORP. If I renew the passport, then we will have to ask the Canadian Embassy to re-issue it, and it gets more complicated. We decided today to fly middle of June ... My passport will then have 6 and a half months left, which should be OK.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

barcomi Is there a specific reason why you're leaving landing to the last possible minute? Accidents happen people fall ill etc. Have you thought about flying to Canada earlier to activate your PR then returning to the UK temporarily before eventually moving to Canada permanently when ready?
Old Dec 1st 2014, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paw339
barcomi Is there a specific reason why you're leaving landing to the last possible minute? Accidents happen people fall ill etc. Have you thought about flying to Canada earlier to activate your PR then returning to the UK temporarily before eventually moving to Canada permanently when ready?
paw339, this is actually something I didn't consider at first. Will travel to Canada May or June to activate PR, and will then move to Canada in October.

Do you know If the goods to follow can arrive anytime? I mean once I declare at PR registration, can then arrive 6 months later?
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

paw339, this is actually something I didn't consider at first. Will travel to Canada May or June to activate PR, and will then move to Canada in October.

Do you know If the goods to follow can arrive anytime? I mean once I declare at PR registration, can then arrive 6 months later?
Yes they can arrive at a later date. Inform CBSA on initial arrival that you are not establishing a residence and will have goods to follow at a later date.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes they can arrive at a later date. Inform CBSA on initial arrival that you are not establishing a residence and will have goods to follow at a later date.
Will do, thank you for the advice. It's all coming together now ...

One more questions, even though it might sound silly! I will know the goods we are sending (Desktop PC, etc.), but we be sending mainly clothes.
How detailed and accurate does the goods to follow list need to be? I mean, how do I know if will be sending 25 or 35 t-shirts for example?
Old Dec 1st 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Will do, thank you for the advice. It's all coming together now ...

One more questions, even though it might sound silly! I will know the goods we are sending (Desktop PC, etc.), but we be sending mainly clothes.
How detailed and accurate does the goods to follow list need to be? I mean, how do I know if will be sending 25 or 35 t-shirts for example?
This is useful

Goods To Follow-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Dec 1st 2014, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bc2015
Fantastic! Thank you for the link ... Better include everything that I might end up shipping.

Cheers guys.