Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Legal experts, please: Travelling out of Canada soon after landing...

Legal experts, please: Travelling out of Canada soon after landing...

Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:56 am
Just Joined

chris_vabc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legal experts, please: Travelling out of Canada soon after landing...

Hi all, especially those with legal experise....

This topic has been touched on before, but I have found most of the answers inconclusive. I landed in Vancouver from the UK as a PR on the 19th February 2005. For my job, I have to go to Rochester, NY for a week in mid-march, and I'm certain that my PR card will not arrive by then.

From what I understand, I have 2 options.

1. Fly from Vancouver to Rochester, USA. However, I might not get back into Canada without my PR card (is my UK passport and Confirmation of PR sheet not enough?)

2. I can fly to Toronto and drive 3 hours to Rochester, then drive back a week later to Toronto with no problems whatsoever at the border with my UK passport and Confirmation of PR sheet?

Any advice as to what the best course of action is would be greatly appreciated. I have looked up information about a "travel document" for commercial carriers, but I will not be able to visit Buffalo to get it in time. I am perfectly willing to drive from Toronto to Rochester, but I want to know if I can actually do this, or will I have problems there too?

Thanks,

Chris
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal experts, please: Travelling out of Canada soon after landing...

Originally Posted by chris_vabc
Hi all, especially those with legal experise....

This topic has been touched on before, but I have found most of the answers inconclusive. I landed in Vancouver from the UK as a PR on the 19th February 2005. For my job, I have to go to Rochester, NY for a week in mid-march, and I'm certain that my PR card will not arrive by then.

From what I understand, I have 2 options.

1. Fly from Vancouver to Rochester, USA. However, I might not get back into Canada without my PR card (is my UK passport and Confirmation of PR sheet not enough?)

2. I can fly to Toronto and drive 3 hours to Rochester, then drive back a week later to Toronto with no problems whatsoever at the border with my UK passport and Confirmation of PR sheet?

Any advice as to what the best course of action is would be greatly appreciated. I have looked up information about a "travel document" for commercial carriers, but I will not be able to visit Buffalo to get it in time. I am perfectly willing to drive from Toronto to Rochester, but I want to know if I can actually do this, or will I have problems there too?

Thanks,

Chris

There is no *conclusive* answer. The official line from CIC is that every PR needs a PR Card or Travel Document to board a Canada bound trip on a commercial carrier.

However, in reality, those PRs with visa waiver passports, such as British, US or Australian citizens, can usually travel with their passport (plus IMM1000). From the Air Canada website (FAQ section):

"Who needs a Permanent Resident Card?

Answer
As of December 31, 2003, Canadian permanent residents holding a passport from a non visa waiver country returning to Canada will be required to provide the wallet-sized plastic PR permanent resident card or a visa. The IMM1000 Record of Landing will no longer be acceptable.

Without a valid PR card or visa these passengers will not be permitted to board the aircraft and will need to contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate to obtain a limited use travel document to re-enter Canada.

If you are a passport holder from a country listed on the exception list (see link below), the IMM1000 and your valid passport will be acceptable:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html#exemptions"

If flying with another airline check with them to see if they have the same policy as Air Canada.

When you get to Immigration take evidence of your PR status with you and be prepared for a delay at secondary inspection.

It's clear on the CIC website that you do not need a PR Card to return over the US border on foot or in a private vehicle, however it is worth bringing a printout of the relevant page from the CIC website (plus evidence of your PR status) as there have been reports some agents at the border do not understand this policy.

Jeremy