Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Leaving & re-entry on IEC + path to PR in my circumstances?

Leaving & re-entry on IEC + path to PR in my circumstances?

Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

just_a_guy_in_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving & re-entry on IEC + path to PR in my circumstances?

Hey everyone.

So I'm currently in Toronto on IEC. I've been here since May, so around 5 months in.

First question: I want to return to the UK for 2 weeks. I know that it says I can leave and revisit on the government of Canada website, however is there anything I need to do to ensure this goes smoothly? I mean I filled out 365 days for my period of stay on my declaration card and since I'm leaving and reentering, then I'd be filling out another one? Is this important?

I'd love to hear from someone who has left Canada and reentered while on an open work permit about what happens exactly. I overthink these things.

If anyone can answer that, that would be great.

-----------
SEPARATE ISSUE

Now, bigger question regards my route to PR.

I'm in Toronto as part of a relationship I've been in with a Canadian citizen since 2008. I've known her online since 2002, I flew over to meet her as a friend in March 2008 and have flown over 13 times in total, my IEC trip being the 13th. We're engaged and plan to marry and the idea is I'll fully emigrate to Canada and live here as a PR (eventual citizen).

Now, from what I've read on here, spousal sponsorship is the simplest path to PR right? It requires marriage, then an application for PR where the spouse agrees to sponsor you, with rules regarding evidence of relationship, etc?

My question is, how do I sort this out in my circumstances? Basically, we don't have marriage plans yet and it's unlikely to be sorted out within the remainder of my IEC period. So I'm wondering the following:

1) Is it possible for me to remain in Canada after May for a few months, not working then (I'm working now but of course wont be able to after May) and then get married in summer? Or do I have to depart at the end of my 365 days? If I do get married then, what would be the logistics of sorting out PR application? Would I have to move back home while applying? Money issues from not working do not apply.

2) Would it make sense to renew IEC for another year to sort it out then? I'm 28, I can renew once more before age 30 right? Is it harder to sort out my application while still in Canada?

The wedding realistically cannot be in the UK. It has to be in Canada. I'm struggling to work out the best way to sort this, because the earliest any wedding can realistically be is next June/July or so. There's a lot of planning and organisation to be done for family members.

I do try to use the FAQ's and so on to answer these questions but it's difficult to account for individual context.

Last edited by just_a_guy_in_canada; Oct 26th 2014 at 9:03 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

palmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leaving & re-entry on IEC + path to PR in my circumstances?

I only ever left over the us border, for a couple of day trips and a weekend to seattle, I didnt fly out but I had 0 problem getting back in. Last time I visited the us whilst on the IEC the fellow just swiped the passport asked where i was and my status here and sent me on my way, didnt ask anything about insurance or how much money I had..Actually I think he asked if I had a job and that was it..

Even though they have never asked me for these things I think you should take the travel insurance documents you have and proofs of funds as your technically meant to have them to be allowed to re enter.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you currently live with your gf? As you can also apply for spousal sponsorship as common law. But that means living together for a year.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesmcgeachie10
Now, from what I've read on here, spousal sponsorship is the simplest path to PR right? It requires marriage, then an application for PR where the spouse agrees to sponsor you, with rules regarding evidence of relationship, etc?
Marriage or living together for a year or more - so if you've done the latter, no need to wait until you're married for her to sponsor you.

1) Is it possible for me to remain in Canada after May for a few months, not working then (I'm working now but of course wont be able to after May) and then get married in summer? Or do I have to depart at the end of my 365 days? If I do get married then, what would be the logistics of sorting out PR application? Would I have to move back home while applying? Money issues from not working do not apply.
You can simply switch to visitor status online, and that should give you another six months in the country. You could then extend that if you needed more time. You don't need to move back to the UK to apply for PR.

2) Would it make sense to renew IEC for another year to sort it out then? I'm 28, I can renew once more before age 30 right? Is it harder to sort out my application while still in Canada?
You can't renew an IEC, no. You can however, apply for a second one, and hope that you get it. And no, it's not particularly any harder to do from Canada other than having to get the police cert sent there.

The wedding realistically cannot be in the UK. It has to be in Canada. I'm struggling to work out the best way to sort this, because the earliest any wedding can realistically be is next June/July or so. There's a lot of planning and organisation to be done for family members.
Another option is that you go and get married now, and then have a later celebration in June or July. Your family members don't even have to know you're already married if you don't want! That would certainly sort the visa issue out and be the easiest solution.

Good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

On re entering Canada you will fill out the declaration card and use your Canadian address as you are already living and working in Canada. Make sure you have your work permit with you.
As others have said you need to have cohabited with each other for 12 months before you can submit the common law application.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

just_a_guy_in_canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Marriage or living together for a year or more - so if you've done the latter, no need to wait until you're married for her to sponsor you.

You can simply switch to visitor status online, and that should give you another six months in the country. You could then extend that if you needed more time. You don't need to move back to the UK to apply for PR.

You can't renew an IEC, no. You can however, apply for a second one, and hope that you get it. And no, it's not particularly any harder to do from Canada other than having to get the police cert sent there.

Another option is that you go and get married now, and then have a later celebration in June or July. Your family members don't even have to know you're already married if you don't want! That would certainly sort the visa issue out and be the easiest solution.

Good luck.

These answers are excellent, thank you.

I can really apply for Spousal sponsorship without being married? That's actually amazing, I had no idea.

One thing though, we both live together in her parents house (they pay the bills). Does that complicate anything, i.e. proof of living together?
It's likely to be like this for a long time. My only physical proof of residence here so far is a couple of bank statements I have addressed here.

Seriously though, these answers gave me a renewed perspective, thanks a ton.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

One thing though, we both live together in her parents house (they pay the bills). Does that complicate anything, i.e. proof of living together?[/B] It's likely to be like this for a long time. My only physical proof of residence here so far is a couple of bank statements I have
Ah. In which case, you may need to be married first!

To apply as common-law spouses, you'd need to show that you are in a 'marriage like relationship' and have lived together as husband and wife.

Having bank statements sent to that address doesn't prove anything other than living at the same address, but you could just be housemates! So they wouldn't do (and in fact, if it's only an account in your name rather than a joint one, it could hinder any application).

If you don't have utility bills then that's ok, but you'd need other stuff to show you have combined your affairs as any husband and wife would do. So do you also have a joint bank account? Joint insurances? Joint purchase of big items? Wills naming each other as beneficiaries? Life insurance showing each other as next of kin? Etc, etc.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:36 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good read of the wiki thread here - Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki - it explains in more detail about what level of evidence is required for a common-law application.