British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   At last!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/last-856238/)

scootb Apr 12th 2015 12:04 am

At last!!

We landed at Carway yesterday and are now PR :)

The American border agent told us that once you have the COPR you are good to wait for an appointment at a local service Canada office,I did not know this but probably would still have taken a long weekend anyway.
We waited about 1 1/2 hours before being called out to sign the COPR forms and that was us,no interviews,or questions.

Enjoyed a night in a hotel in Canmore on Friday night,woke up and it looked like the sun was gonna break through the clouds a promising sign,until just before Lake Louise lol then it was like a blizzard,glad that I drive an F150 the roads were seriously bad in some places,the woman at the parks Kiosk outside Lake Louise said if we werent in the F150 she would have advised us to turn back.
Once we got maybe 3/4 of the way to Jasper it was really nice all the way back to Edmonton.
Had a GREAT weekend,and glad that we now have PR 10 days before my TWP expired haha :)

Good luck to anyone that has applied for PR and are still waiting!!

sms1984 Apr 12th 2015 12:13 am

Re: At last!!

Originally Posted by scootb (Post 11616658)

The American border agent told us that once you have the COPR you are good to wait for an appointment at a local service Canada office,I did not know this but probably would still have taken a long weekend anyway.
We waited about 1 1/2 hours before being called out to sign the COPR forms and that was us,no interviews,or questions.

Enjoyed a night in a hotel in Canmore on Friday night,woke up and it looked like the sun was gonna break through the clouds a promising sign,until just before Lake Louise lol then it was like a blizzard,glad that I drive an F150 the roads were seriously bad in some places,the woman at the parks Kiosk outside Lake Louise said if we werent in the F150 she would have advised us to turn back.
Once we got maybe 3/4 of the way to Jasper it was really nice all the way back to Edmonton.
Had a GREAT weekend,and glad that we now have PR 10 days before my TWP expired haha :)

Woo congrats, awesome news 😃. What did you tell the USA border agents as you crossed?

scootb Apr 12th 2015 12:26 am

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 11616659)
Woo congrats, awesome news 😃. What did you tell the USA border agents as you crossed?

Thanks!
I just told the guard that I was flagpoling to get my residency confirmation letter stamped.
The US guards were way more friendly than the sour faced Canadian woman was lol.

Mikeypm Apr 12th 2015 12:40 am

Congrats buddy :)

scootb Apr 12th 2015 1:11 am

Thanks Mikey,it's a load off our shoulders for sure!

Mikeypm Apr 12th 2015 1:14 am

Originally Posted by scootb (Post 11616680)
Thanks Mikey,it's a load off our shoulders for sure!

Now the wait for your pr card lol

sms1984 Apr 12th 2015 2:27 am

Originally Posted by scootb (Post 11616672)
Thanks!
I just told the guard that I was flagpoling to get my residency confirmation letter stamped.
The US guards were way more friendly than the sour faced Canadian woman was lol.

Yeah we found when we went to activate our work permits at Carway that the USA guards were waaaaaaay nicer than the CBSA!

plasticcanuck Apr 12th 2015 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 11616698)
Yeah we found when we went to activate our work permits at Carway that the USA guards were waaaaaaay nicer than the CBSA!

That's probably because the Yanks knew you weren't staying. If you'd been going the other way it may as well have been a much different reception.

Mikeypm Apr 12th 2015 2:47 am

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 11616698)

Maybe its the Carway border, but at the Peace Arch we had no issues with the CBP or CBSA both were nice and helpful :)

sms1984 Apr 12th 2015 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 11616702)
Maybe its the Carway border, but at the Peace Arch we had no issues with the CBP or CBSA both were nice and helpful :)

Even though it states on the website that they offer immigration services they told us that they don't like doing and don't have the man power

Mikeypm Apr 12th 2015 2:55 am

Originally Posted by sms1984 (Post 11616703)
Even though it states on the website that they offer immigration services they told us that they don't like doing and don't have the man power

Oh thats not good :(

sms1984 Apr 12th 2015 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 11616704)
Oh thats not good :(

Well I wont be going there to flagpole again but i'm pleased you had a positive experience

dishwashing Apr 12th 2015 6:06 am

Hearty Congratulations, Scott!

Siouxie Apr 13th 2015 4:51 am

Brilliant news - congrats!!

:thumbsup: