Wikiposts

Language Testing

Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:46 am
Just Joined

F1001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Language Testing

Hi,

I am completing my skilled workers application pack and they say you have to provide test results to prove your proficiency in your canadian official language otherwise the app will be returned - I was born in the UK and completed up to post-grad studies in english therefore, it is my native language - so I still have to take the IELTS test??

Additionally, I am moderately proficient in french - should I risk waiting to complete the TEF exam in October or should I just send the app off asap before the cap for my NOC category gets filled?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:20 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language Testing

Originally Posted by F1001
Hi,

I am completing my skilled workers application pack and they say you have to provide test results to prove your proficiency in your canadian official language otherwise the app will be returned - I was born in the UK and completed up to post-grad studies in english therefore, it is my native language - so I still have to take the IELTS test??
Yes. Every principal applicant must take the test.

Additionally, I am moderately proficient in french - should I risk waiting to complete the TEF exam in October or should I just send the app off asap before the cap for my NOC category gets filled?

Thanks!
If you don't need the points then it makes sense to get your application in as soon as possible. You don't get any benefit from having more than 67 points.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My husband has his test in a couple of weeks.

I would try and book this as quickly as you can - they fill up quickly (there were only 5 places left when I booked his place and that was over a month before the date of the test) and they are only every few weeks across different areas in the country.

Seems crazy to me... we are both in our late 30s and brought up in England - why he needs an English test is beyond me??

Also - you need passport photos for the application so you'll need to sort that out aswell.

Hope this helps!

x
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Seems crazy to me... we are both in our late 30s and brought up in England - why he needs an English test is beyond me??
There are people in the UK, like elsewhere who don't speak the language as a mother tongue, if at all. Hard as it is to figure, some people lie on their application. There has a to be a uniform system for it to be manageable.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
There are people in the UK, like elsewhere who don't speak the language as a mother tongue, if at all. Hard as it is to figure, some people lie on their application. There has a to be a uniform system for it to be manageable.
Yeah we figured as much and we also figured they want photos so that you can't get someone else to take the test for you... no flies on us!...
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:21 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Having read many posts on this website it is quite apparent that many born and bread Brits have difficulty wiv ritin an such. If they fink ver english is good why do they fear the test.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not so much about fear, I think it's more that you have to drop $300 to take the damn thing.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:22 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to the language test I believe that the only proof required, as a sign of language proficiency, was a letter in either French or English.

I wrote my own, by way offering a brief history of my Construction background. Rather than create a letter on a random subject, the subject matter I chose made sense as I applied under the FSW scheme as a construction manager.

Not hard to imagine how many of those types of language proficiency letters were cooked up in the past by 'professional' letter writers to accompany applications for those applicants who could barely speak/read/write English, if at all.

I feel that the new(ish) idea (in effect since late June 2010) is a fairer way of doin it rite Jon.

No matter which country you hail from, nor what your first language may be, it's pretty hard to cook the results of a language test administered by a certified authority.

Take the test... it's not an option. Querying the idea is, but it'll be a waste of time methinks. The cost is way OTT I agree.

Last edited by james.mc; Jul 26th 2011 at 6:25 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Having read many posts on this website it is quite apparent that many born and bread Brits have difficulty wiv ritin an such. If they fink ver english is good why do they fear the test.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by F1001
Hi,

Thanks!
Under which NOC are you considering applying?

If you look at the "Projections" tab on this spreadsheet you can see how the NOCs filled up last year, which might give you a good indication as to how quickly the NOC will fill this year.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiJy8Qu8lcQbdGxiSnNhME5sVi1uRlZtUWNhOEFwe mc&hl=ar&authkey=CLDXsFA#gid=6

Please bare in mind that the NOC cap is 500 this year, not 1000.

Best of luck,
Wayne.