PNP and changing province

Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:53 am
Just Joined

canadaforever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PNP and changing province

Hi all,

I immigrated to BC through BC PNP program; I have been living in BC for about a year since I became a permanent resident. here is my question: Can I move and live in a different province, say, Ontario? or will Canadian/BC gov. punish me (by revoking my PR status, etc) if I move to a different province at this point?

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2011, 12:37 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP and changing province

My two cents worth ( may or may not be accurate !)

When you apply for PNP , you are meant to have the intention of settling in that Province.

However once you get PR , you get the same rights and freedoms as any other PR ( the right to free movement within the country etc)

So legally , you are good to go. From an intention to settle point of view , well you did spend a year in BC , so I assume your original intent was to live their , but stuff happens , plans change etc.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaforever
Hi all,

I immigrated to BC through BC PNP program; I have been living in BC for about a year since I became a permanent resident. here is my question: Can I move and live in a different province, say, Ontario? or will Canadian/BC gov. punish me (by revoking my PR status, etc) if I move to a different province at this point?

Thanks
You don't have to sign in every week, so who is going to know you have moved anyway?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Will I be 100% safe if I move to a different province after I become a Canadian Citizen? I have 5 year contract with my current BC employer so technically speaking I can wait until I become a Citizen.....

Will Ontario Government ask me to explain why I am moving to a different province if I move out of Ontario after I become a Citizen?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:52 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

As has been pointed out , who's going to know?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

The Canadian government will know in one way or the other; say I moved to Ontario and applied for Ontario Health Care. They will notice the change in address wouldn't they?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

you are really over thinking this . Its not a problem , honestly.
you have the right of free movement within the country.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
My two cents worth ( may or may not be accurate !)

When you apply for PNP , you are meant to have the intention of settling in that Province.
We discussed this a while ago. The conclusion was that an immigration officer could decline to issue PR to someone if (s)he believed the applicant had no intention of settling in the nominating province. However, once a person had PR they had all the rights of a PR including mobility.

There is a little concern that if a person lands in a nominating province and immediately moves to another there is a potential of their PR to be questioned in the future. However, there is no evidence this has happened or is contemplated.

Morally, there is an obligation to work for the sponsoring employer (if their is one) and to make a good go of settling in the nominated province. But yes, things can change.