British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Language test results mandatory for all FSW (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/language-test-results-mandatory-all-fsw-674172/)

jobop Jun 28th 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Hi All

I received my 120 day email on 22nd June, I then proceeded to download the London visa specific information, at that time it still stated that I could write a written letter to verify my native tongue, now I see they have updated the PDF available to say you need to take a language test.

I am presuming because I received my 120 day email before the 26th June I am still under the old system and so not need to do a language test??
I am in the process of gathering all my docs to send off to London and can use the check list I downloaded as per the 22nd June instead of the new one?

Please let me know if you too read the new rules in this way??

PMM Jun 28th 2010 4:38 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by jobop (Post 8663062)
Hi All

I received my 120 day email on 22nd June, I then proceeded to download the London visa specific information, at that time it still stated that I could write a written letter to verify my native tongue, now I see they have updated the PDF available to say you need to take a language test.

I am presuming because I received my 120 day email before the 26th June I am still under the old system and so not need to do a language test??
I am in the process of gathering all my docs to send off to London and can use the check list I downloaded as per the 22nd June instead of the new one?

Please let me know if you too read the new rules in this way??

You can still submit a written version of your language abilities, (old rules)but note that if it doesn't give sufficient information to determine you language ability, you don't get a second chance to submit IELTs, the VO will assign a point score to what you submit.

jobop Jun 28th 2010 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 8663187)
Hi

You can still submit a written version of your language abilities, (old rules)but note that if it doesn't give sufficient information to determine you language ability, you don't get a second chance to submit IELTs, the VO will assign a point score to what you submit.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm so I guess there is no way of knowing how they will take my written explanation of being British born and bred then, and with all my English work experience and education as evidence within my application form?

Maybe I should take the test just to make sure as I would hate this to effect our application at this stage.

Thanks for the response.

PMM Jun 28th 2010 5:37 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by jobop (Post 8663205)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm so I guess there is no way of knowing how they will take my written explanation of being British born and bred then, and with all my English work experience and education as evidence within my application form?

Maybe I should take the test just to make sure as I would hate this to effect our application at this stage.

Thanks for the response.

In your case with an old application you should be fine with the written explanation.

JGK Jun 30th 2010 12:55 am

I'm waiting to send my Application to Buffalo, just need the UK Police Report.

However, having just checked the new and updated (June 2010) checklist I'm breathing a sigh of relief at saving $300. As a "Provincial Nominee" I don't Have to submit the "Proof of Language Ability" stuff with my application. :thumbsup:

zippadydoda Jun 30th 2010 1:06 am

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 8659919)
I personally think the whole thing is just plain insulting. If you were born to British parents and schooled in the UK there should be absolutely no reason to have a test to see if you can speak English, none whatsoever.

You know the IELTS has a speaking section with the examiner? So I have to go in there and actually talk to the person to prove I can carry a conversation and pay over $200 for the privilege? What a joke.

They also should have given at least a months notice before making this adjustment instead of just suddenly doing it out the blue, given the waiting list for the test.

An even bigger joke is that they specify that you have to be fluent in Either English or French when they don't even speak English ie diaper, garbage, line up, soccer !!!! Need I continue!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CanadaJimmy Jun 30th 2010 1:54 am

Well I went to the library and got out a "New Insights into IELTS" book and another book with past papers in it.

Upon opening the first page I can tell it's *really* not designed for native speakers, everything is presented in that second language logical style with lists of vocabulary. It really does make english feel like a foreign langauge.

It's not going to be fun but thankfully it should only be a 6 week delay for me, provided that the CIO send me back my last application in that time. Not sure what to do if they don't. Don't want to wait 3 months to find out they just spotted it's invalid for example.

Still can't believe the rules changed while my application was in the post.

cityhog Jun 30th 2010 1:57 am

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 8659919)
I personally think the whole thing is just plain insulting. If you were born to British parents and schooled in the UK there should be absolutely no reason to have a test to see if you can speak English, none whatsoever.

You know the IELTS has a speaking section with the examiner? So I have to go in there and actually talk to the person to prove I can carry a conversation and pay over $200 for the privilege? What a joke.

They also should have given at least a months notice before making this adjustment instead of just suddenly doing it out the blue, given the waiting list for the test.

I agree it's a joke. I know many Chinese students who aced these standardized tests but can't even write a short error-free paragraph and/or speak clearly. It's a mystery. Many have an MA or PhD! What a farce it is!

amrskipro Jun 30th 2010 2:01 am

Originally Posted by cityhog (Post 8666838)
I agree it's a joke. I know many Chinese students who aced these standardized tests but can't even write a short error-free paragraph and/or speak clearly. It's a mystery. Many have an MA or PhD! What a farce it is!

Which just reinforces the oft repeated point in this thread that one should put some effort into preparing for this test.

Jim Humphries Jun 30th 2010 2:03 am

People who have not taken the IELTS should not be commenting on it. I who attended all my schooling in English and worked my entire career in it found it a challenge that no average Chinese student could possibly have "aced".

cityhog Jun 30th 2010 2:10 am

Originally Posted by amrskipro (Post 8666843)
Which just reinforces the oft repeated point in this thread that one should put some effort into preparing for this test.

I heard these Asian students are trained for this kind of useless English tests all their life. All their education is based on standardized tests, and I heard they go through piles of all the past IELTS exams and study 12 hours a day for several years!

cityhog Jun 30th 2010 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries (Post 8666846)
People who have not taken the IELTS should not be commenting on it. I who attended all my schooling in English and worked my entire career in it found it a challenge that no average Chinese student could possibly have "aced".

Hey Jim, I'm not exaggerating. My ex-girlfriend is an English professor, and that's what she said. I myself saw several students like that.

cityhog Jun 30th 2010 2:33 am

Originally Posted by mojovibe (Post 8660423)
I can't beleive they've done this, the majority of Canucks that I've met speak English just as well as any Brit or anyone else from an English speaking country, And I'm sure that they wouldn't use these phrases or words in the case scenarios that they test you for. Its as bad as the joke about Elvis entering an Elvis impersonation competition and coming third, second place being Pavorroti, and fist place being Steven Hawkins on his voice box.

Ha ha ha. This is hilarious!

crazy72 Jun 30th 2010 4:52 am

Originally Posted by cityhog (Post 8666858)
I heard these Asian students are trained for this kind of useless English tests all their life. All their education is based on standardized tests, and I heard they go through piles of all the past IELTS exams and study 12 hours a day for several years!

Entire Chinese education system, starting from grade 1, is totally based and entirely focused on preparations to tests, not on learning anything beyond that. They don't teach students there how to think, how to ask and how to search answers - all they do, day after day, 10 or more hours per day is preparing for the next test. And students in China have a lot of tests. I believe that it is quite possible for a Chinese who's all schooling was done in China, doing nothing but preparing for and passing thousands of tests, to prepare for and ace the IELTS.

Jim Humphries Jun 30th 2010 1:30 pm

How silly and uninformed you are.