Landing and returning query

Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Pudseytwo is on a distinguished road
Default Landing and returning query

Hi there,

We landed in April and activated our PR by road from the USA and had all our paperwork stamped blah blah blah, however the immigration officer said that if we re-enter Canada by air we would have to get a visa. We were so pleased they had let us in we wanted to get out of the office as quick as possible and didn't like to start asking 'why' questions.

What visa would we need ? I've looked at Wiki/threads/Google but can't seem to find an answer.

Any help would be very gratefully received
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:02 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Landing and returning query

Have a look at the Port of Entry manual. As you have activated your PR, then section 11 will be applicable. If you return and dont have your PR card then read 11.2......that should clear it up for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pudseytwo
What visa would we need ? I've looked at Wiki/threads/Google but can't seem to find an answer.
Perhaps look in the main Canada wiki thread area, you'll find this:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both for that, Wiki is great if you know what question to ask, I can never think of the right terminology

So really it is the airlines and the one way ticket which is the problem, it seems that if we have a return ticket that would be ok to use the visa waiver form.
Alternatively we could just drive over the border again from the US.

I suppose we should look at the costings of it all and take it from there.
Apparently the Travel document (visa) is $75 per person.

Thanks again
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:33 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

FYI There is no " visa waiver form"
If you are thinking of the card that you fill in on the plane , then everyone Citizens , PRs & tourists have to fill that in
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:43 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Thank you both for that, Wiki is great if you know what question to ask, I can never think of the right terminology

So really it is the airlines and the one way ticket which is the problem, it seems that if we have a return ticket that would be ok to use the visa waiver form.
Alternatively we could just drive over the border again from the US.

I suppose we should look at the costings of it all and take it from there.
Apparently the Travel document (visa) is $75 per person.

Thanks again
I think the one-way ticket could be an issue not a show stopper. I have yet to see anyone post on here saying they have been stopped from boarding......some people say they have been made to wait whilst the airline checks. So I advise people to have the relevant pages from the POE manual.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Zoe,

I haven't flown into Canada for years, we always fly to New York and head up from there.
I thought that they would have a system of Visa Waiver forms like the US.
So there is just the landing card to fill in which I presume is to declare foods etc.

Regards
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

So it's probably better not to fork out the $225 for us all and
hope for the best !

Originally Posted by JB0591
I think the one-way ticket could be an issue not a show stopper. I have yet to see anyone post on here saying they have been stopped from boarding......some people say they have been made to wait whilst the airline checks. So I advise people to have the relevant pages from the POE manual.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:14 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

So it's probably better not to fork out the $225 for us all and
hope for the best !
Its nail biting stuff waiting to see if the airline will fly you or not. Happened to us in Lisbon last month. It took them nearly two hours to decied they would.

You can use your CORP form to cross the border - thats what they told us when we landed at Fort Erie in April - unless you have nerves of steel I would go via New York.

I think they told us, the travel visa was $50 - but I wouldnt swear to it.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, I have been trawling the Canadian Embassy in London's website trying to find information, I have found the Travel document to download and they say it is $50 ( I read $75 somewhere else) but on trying to find out how long it takes to get one and how long they are valid, seems a difficult task (well for me anyway) so I'm still checking it out, one link sends me to another link which takes me to another........................

I don't fancy turning up at the airport and them not letting us on, it's going to be stressful enough as it is I should imagine

I figure I would have to get return flights to NY as they probably won't let us into the USA with a one way ticket and the costings of driving up etc/flights etc are double what it costs to get a one way to Toronto, so I guess the $150 for the PRTD is the better option.

Here we go again, just when I thought I had no further dealings with the Canadian Embassy in London

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Its nail biting stuff waiting to see if the airline will fly you or not. Happened to us in Lisbon last month. It took them nearly two hours to decied they would.

You can use your CORP form to cross the border - thats what they told us when we landed at Fort Erie in April - unless you have nerves of steel I would go via New York.

I think they told us, the travel visa was $50 - but I wouldnt swear to it.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have been trawling the Canadian Embassy in London's website trying to find information, I have found the Travel document to download and they say it is $50 ( I read $75 somewhere else) but on trying to find out how long it takes to get one and how long they are valid, seems a difficult task (well for me anyway) so I'm still checking it out,
Not easy to find out how long it takes.
Cost C$50 per person, validity 6 months, single entry only.

Did you read post #3? If you follow the links, you'll get to Air Canada's website, which should say if you are flying with them you should not have any problems even if you have a one-way ticket.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info,
I have been looking at Flight prices and Air Transat seem to be the cheapest and their website tells you to ask at your local consulate. I e-mailed them and asked them if they accepted people on a one way ticket who had already landed but had no PR card they said the same. I looked at Air Canada's price and they were more that double Air Transat's price. So I guess it will be cheaper to get the Travel Document.

I will contact the Consulate in London and see if I can get any sense out of them.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by JAJ

Did you read post #3? If you follow the links, you'll get to Air Canada's website, which should say if you are flying with them you should not have any problems even if you have a one-way ticket.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:44 pm

Hi, I have been trawling the Canadian Embassy in London's website trying to find information, I have found the Travel document to download and they say it is $50 ( I read $75 somewhere else) but on trying to find out how long it takes to get one and how long they are valid, seems a difficult task (well for me anyway) so I'm still checking it out, one link sends me to another link which takes me to another........................

I don't fancy turning up at the airport and them not letting us on, it's going to be stressful enough as it is I should imagine

I figure I would have to get return flights to NY as they probably won't let us into the USA with a one way ticket and the costings of driving up etc/flights etc are double what it costs to get a one way to Toronto, so I guess the $150 for the PRTD is the better option.

Here we go again, just when I thought I had no further dealings with the Canadian Embassy in London
I think if you go to the embassy, you can get them on the same day - just be prepared for a wait. If you apply by post I read somewhere it takes approx 4 weeks.

Good luck.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ

We were flying with Air Canada! I even called them, they said no problem with a UK passport. Famous last words, when I told them at check in that their call centre told me it wouldnt be a problem,and so does their website, they werent interested, all they are interested in, is seeing the correct paperwork that stops them getting a massive fine. The guy actually told me that. OK we flew in the end, but it took nearly two hours before they made that decision. Fortunatley I have an obsession with time keeping, and arrived at the airport really early, otherwise by the time it got sorted, checkin would have been closed.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Pudseytwo,

Depending on when you want to travel, you could always have the PR cards sent to you from Canada.

That said I doubt you would have a problem, assuming you have a British passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.