Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing Question (for Andrew Miller)

Landing Question (for Andrew Miller)

Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:38 am
Just Joined

Jack_PH123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing Question (for Andrew Miller)

Hi,

I applied as Independent Skilled Worker immigrant (not provincial nominee and not to Quebec).

My question is, if I have a change of plan and intend to proceed to a different province other than the province I put in Imm0008,

1. do I have to notify the Embassy about this prior to departure?

2. Do I have to return the COPR to the embassy and have the new destination reflected on it?

3. Will this be a problem at the port of entry?

4. What does dest:3812 in the COPR mean? I am assuming it is a code for Toronto ON?

Thanks,
Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:14 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing Question (for Andrew Miller)

HI

Originally Posted by Jack_PH123
Hi,

I applied as Independent Skilled Worker immigrant (not provincial nominee and not to Quebec).

My question is, if I have a change of plan and intend to proceed to a different province other than the province I put in Imm0008,

1. do I have to notify the Embassy about this prior to departure?

2. Do I have to return the COPR to the embassy and have the new destination reflected on it?

3. Will this be a problem at the port of entry?

4. What does dest:3812 in the COPR mean? I am assuming it is a code for Toronto ON?

Thanks,
1. No
2. No
3. No, as long is it is not Quebec
4. Yes, it is just a destination code.

PMM
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:25 am
Account Closed

woofwoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Why can't you land in Quebec if you've applied through the CHC London as a skilled worker?

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

1. No
2. No

PMM
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by woofwoof
Why can't you land in Quebec if you've applied through the CHC London as a skilled worker?
Because Quebec has it own Immigration program and you are required to be accepted by Quebec, by obtaining a CAQ. There is nothing to stop you from landing anywhere else in Canada and migrating to Quebec, but you will not receive all the services that Quebec selected immigrants get, ie language training etc.

PMM
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Because Quebec has it own Immigration program and you are required to be accepted by Quebec, by obtaining a CAQ. There is nothing to stop you from landing anywhere else in Canada and migrating to Quebec, but you will not receive all the services that Quebec selected immigrants get, ie language training etc.

PMM

However if you do want to migrate to Quebec (and if you meet Quebec's requirements) it makes sense to obtain a CSQ and migrate to Quebec that way. Canadian federal processing times are normally much shorter for Quebec selected migrants.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
However if you do want to migrate to Quebec (and if you meet Quebec's requirements) it makes sense to obtain a CSQ and migrate to Quebec that way. Canadian federal processing times are normally much shorter for Quebec selected migrants.

Cheers PMM and JAJ

Heres our situation............There's a chance we might visit Quebec on a cruise from the UK. If we have our visas and whatever else you need we was wondering if they could go through the landing process so we could obtain our PR card. We don't actually want to live there and we would be gone in 24 hours. What do you reckon?
(sorry to show my ignorance but I dont know what thisCSQ/CAQ is)
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers PMM and JAJ

Heres our situation............There's a chance we might visit Quebec on a cruise from the UK. If we have our visas and whatever else you need we was wondering if they could go through the landing process so we could obtain our PR card. We don't actually want to live there and we would be gone in 24 hours. What do you reckon?
(sorry to show my ignorance but I dont know what thisCSQ/CAQ is)

CSQ = Certificat de Selection de Quebec (There's no such thing as a CAQ),
http://www.immq.gouv.qc.ca

You won't be able to land at a Quebec port of entry, without a CSQ, without confirmed onward arrangements to travel somewhere else in Canada (ie something that will convince the officers you don't plan to live in Quebec).

However if you have a visa waiver passport (eg British citizen) you can visit Canada as a tourist without going through the landing formalities.

Jeremy
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
CSQ = Certificat de Selection de Quebec (There's no such thing as a CAQ),
http://www.immq.gouv.qc.ca

You won't be able to land at a Quebec port of entry, without a CSQ, without confirmed onward arrangements to travel somewhere else in Canada (ie something that will convince the officers you don't plan to live in Quebec).

However if you have a visa waiver passport (eg British citizen) you can visit Canada as a tourist without going through the landing formalities.

Jeremy
mmmmmmmmmmmm..........thats interesting.........after the ship has docked in Quebec overnight it then sails on to Sydney N.S. (which isn't able to offer immigration facilities). So it will be easy to prove were not staying and moving on elsewhere in the country.
We've got visa waiver passports, but if we get our visa 's from CHC we would want to get the landing out of the way asap. We have no intentions of landing and staying, we would return to the UK and then start planning the final move.

Cheers
Old Feb 12th 2006, 2:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

mmmmmmmmmmmm..........thats interesting.........after the ship has docked in Quebec overnight it then sails on to Sydney N.S. (which isn't able to offer immigration facilities). So it will be easy to prove were not staying and moving on elsewhere in the country.
We've got visa waiver passports, but if we get our visa 's from CHC we would want to get the landing out of the way asap. We have no intentions of landing and staying, we would return to the UK and then start planning the final move.

In that case you can always try to land and see what they say. You'll need a Canadian address for the PR Card, have you got a friend in Canada (outside Quebec) who can let you have this?

Jeremy
Old Feb 12th 2006, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
In that case you can always try to land and see what they say. You'll need a Canadian address for the PR Card, have you got a friend in Canada (outside Quebec) who can let you have this?

Jeremy

Yep,

We know two couples, I'll give the CBSA people a ring at some point and see what they say. Again, this all depends on if we get our med requests soon and they don't take up to 6 months for PPR's.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 4:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

We know two couples, I'll give the CBSA people a ring at some point and see what they say. Again, this all depends on if we get our med requests soon and they don't take up to 6 months for PPR's.
You may not be able to get reliable advice over the phone. Anyway, the landing process is done by CIC officials, not CBSA people.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HI

Originally Posted by JAJ
You may not be able to get reliable advice over the phone. Anyway, the landing process is done by CIC officials, not CBSA people.
1. Actually the landing is done by CBSA now, the Immigration Port of Entry function was turned over to CBSA from CIC about a year or so ago, as well as the Investigation and Refugee side.
2. The difficulty in landing from a cruise is that probably only a person from the Customs side of CBSA will show up to clear the cruise (they don't really exam the passengers) and they will not be geared up to do a landing.

PMM
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

1. Actually the landing is done by CBSA now, the Immigration Port of Entry function was turned over to CBSA from CIC about a year or so ago, as well as the Investigation and Refugee side.
2. The difficulty in landing from a cruise is that probably only a person from the Customs side of CBSA will show up to clear the cruise (they don't really exam the passengers) and they will not be geared up to do a landing.

PMM
The plot thickens.

You never know, if this ever happens and I let them know of my plans, they might be able to help.
The thing is I think about things too logically. At the end of the day its a port and at some point someone would enter Canada, with the view of staying, via this port. So they must surely have some immigration people hanging about..................... or would they????????????????????

Cheers again
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Jack_PH123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for answering my question twice Phil... 8-)

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

1. No
2. No

PMM