Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing - is just the Principal Applicant?

Landing - is just the Principal Applicant?

Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Loustr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing - is just the Principal Applicant?

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before but we are a family of four and have just received requests for our passports. We are intending to land in March/April and wondered if all of us have to go or is it just the Principal Applicant.

We were also thinking of flying to New York and then driving to NS to land. Is it ok this way or should we fly direct to Halifax?

All advice is appreciated.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing - is just the Principal Applicant?

Originally Posted by Loustr
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before but we are a family of four and have just received requests for our passports. We are intending to land in March/April and wondered if all of us have to go or is it just the Principal Applicant.

We were also thinking of flying to New York and then driving to NS to land. Is it ok this way or should we fly direct to Halifax?

You all have to go with the principal applicant the first time you land. Once you have your individual permanent residency card you can come and go as you wish (is my understanding anyway)
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:25 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loustr
Hi all,

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read on this site somewhere that another poster had been in Canada already working and had just done a 'round the flagpole' thing and his spouse had entered separately from the UK later. Maybe that was for TWP and spouse Open work Permit.....?
I would also be interested in the definitive answer on this one, as my OH is already working in Canada and if we get PR, it would be easier for him to do the 'twirl' to land and get his PR card but I would be arriving from the UK on my own later. (I suppose he could fly home and then go in with me, but it would be more expensive!)
Couldn't the later arrivals just take photocopies of the approval with them to present when they land? Canadian immigration seemed very efficient when my OH arrived there and I am sure they could find the application and approval on their computer files.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

You all must be present when activating your visas. You can do this separately but the principal applicant must activate theirs first before the others if you're doing it this way.

The principal applicant cannot activate anybody else's visa.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:29 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You all must be present when activating your visas. You can do this separately but the principal applicant must activate theirs first before the others if you're doing it this way.

That's what I thought I had read - thanks !
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Nae Problemo
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcat12
Does anyone have any experience of landing separately???? My hubby will go 1 month before us (he is main applicant). What I am wondering is if anyone has had any problems or will it be plain sailing!!!!
Old Sep 19th 2010, 6:00 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

So long as your husband is the principal applicant you should have no problems with landing. Your visas must still be valid of course.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo

Yes that's my understanding. You can all travel together OR principal applicant can activate theirs first and the rest can be done later. The principal applicant must technically land first although others can accompany and activate theirs on the same flight.

If we're successful we'll be landing together to get our visas activated (my wife is principal applicant). However, it may be that I physically move over to Canada before my wife since it'll probably be easier for me to get a job, and then the idea would be my wife follows as soon as I have secure a job and accomodation.

Wayne.