Landing Experience November 2019

Old Nov 30th 2019, 7:54 am
Just Joined

SoftwareDev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing Experience November 2019

Hi,

Thought I would share my recent landing experience, may be of help to others or at least put their mind at easy about it.

After worrying about every detail and printing of numerous documents including proof of funds (which you don't really need under family class sponsorship) I flew in from Manchester. Spent a fair bit of the flight across trying to think of all the scenarios and possible questions I may get asked.

I downloaded the CBSA app and answered the questions before I left (chose "immigrate" on the initial question), whilst on the plane I generated the QR code. Landed in Toronto just after 2pm and made my way quickly to beat the queues.. was directed to one of the machines before I got to the main area. I placed my phone on the machine and it picked up the QR code and filled the questions in for me. After following the remaining instructions had a slip generated which I took and headed into the main area.

One of the immigration officer directed me to the triage area and at the counter I mentioned to the officer I was activating my PR. The officer congratulated me and welcomed me to Canada! He marked my slip and directed me to the second immigration room.

Walking past you have to show the slip to another officer who directs everybody. He directed me to the large room on the left where they had more counters and booths. There was a small queue but after about 5 mins of waiting a young officer came by and asked how he could help. I mentioned I was activating my PR and he again congratulated me and welcomed me to Canada (was expecting lot more scrutiny but everybody was very welcoming, I've had worse experiences coming back to the U.K and that's with a British passport!). He then walked me to his booth and told me to take a seat.

Few minutes later he came back and asked for the copies of COPR, my passport and then almost as a formality asked me the couple of questions about convictions etc. I provided him with my Canadian address for the PR card and signed the documents. He asked how much money I was carrying and filled out the details on his computer. Welcomed me again and I was good to go. Must have been less than 10 minutes after all that worrying about it.

The Service Canada desk is right at the end of the room, so I headed there to apply for my SIN number... just had to fill in a small slip and show them the COPR letter and few minutes later I had a print out with it.

Was out in arrival just after 3pm!

One thing I missed at the airport was that I could have opened a bank account there too (CIBC has a branch there) however I made an appointment online and popped into a local branch. Again didn't take long.. just had to provide them with my COPR, Passport and SIN number.

Hope this helps. Now to the hard part!.... wrapping up everything in the U.K and hopefully finding a job (or at least doing parts of the process) before we all head over!