Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing in Canada, not knowing anyone there

Landing in Canada, not knowing anyone there

Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Diddley1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing in Canada, not knowing anyone there

Hello all, we just handed our Passports in to get our PR visa via the FSW scheme however can somebody give me an idiots guide to the initial landing process.

I do not want to stay too long on my first trip however I do not know anyone there and therefore will not have a permanent address.(basically my job will dictate that)

What is the advice here

read the posts and have half an idea but would like a nice simple overview.
Cheers
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:14 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in Canada, not knowing anyone there

Originally Posted by Diddley1969
Hello all, we just handed our Passports in to get our PR visa via the FSW scheme however can somebody give me an idiots guide to the initial landing process.
Get off the plane, head to immigration, tell them you're landing, follow their guidance of where to go, hand your documents to another Immigration officer, sign the paperwork, smile, head to pick up your luggage, go to customs, hand over your goods to follow and goods accompanying list, smile, leave a PR.

It's a very very easy, stress free, process.

Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:59 am
Just Joined

I do not want to stay too long on my first trip however I do not know anyone there and therefore will not have a permanent address.(basically my job will dictate that)

What is the advice here

read the posts and have half an idea but would like a nice simple overview.
Cheers
Ok then I feel happy with that, but my next issue will be providing a Canadian address. I actually do not know anyone. Has anyone used a virtual office for this sort of thing?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:03 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Ok then I feel happy with that, but my next issue will be providing a Canadian address. I actually do not know anyone. Has anyone used a virtual office for this sort of thing?
You have to provide an address in Canada only to be used as a delivery address for your PR card. But you can choose to apply for it later on through London CHC. There will be a minor charge for it though.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
You have to provide an address in Canada only to be used as a delivery address for your PR card. But you can choose to apply for it later on through London CHC. There will be a minor charge for it though.
^^^^^
This.

Plus you only pay the charge if you choose to apply over 6 months after your initial visa activation, i believe. I think it's about $50.

Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
^^^^^
This.

Plus you only pay the charge if you choose to apply over 6 months after your initial visa activation, i believe. I think it's about $50.

Many thanks for that, that is very helpful
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:22 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also contact an immigration consultant or a solictor's office in the area/ city you are going to and enter an arrangement (contract) to use their office address for your PR card so you can get all that done at the airport.

Any decent immigration consultant should not charge you too much to receive and then forward the PR card to whereever you want it sent.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:21 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by amrskipro
You could also contact an immigration consultant or a solictor's office in the area/ city you are going to and enter an arrangement (contract) to use their office address for your PR card so you can get all that done at the airport.

Any decent immigration consultant should not charge you too much to receive and then forward the PR card to whereever you want it sent.
Unless they charge you more than $50

Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:30 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Unless they charge you more than $50

Agreed, that would come under my definition of 'decent'.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I used a virtual office when I landed in Vancouver for the PR card. But I had done business with them before and trusted them. I told them why I am setting up a virtual office and what I am expected. When the card came, they forwarded it to me.

Ray