Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing in Canada - my experience.

Landing in Canada - my experience.

Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing in Canada - my experience.

Hello all,

I have just returned from a two week stay in Canada, when I officially landed - I am now a permanent resident of Canada - even though Im here in the UK! (for now)

I just thought I would post a thread on here to let people know of my landing experience as I know how nervous how I was about it all!

I arrived at the airport and waited as normal to go through passport control, when my turn came I told the immigration officer that I wanted to land as a permanent resident. I was directed to the immigration department, where when asked; produced all of my documentation. (passport, confirmation of permanent residence etc) the officer who dealt with it was proffesional but quite friendly aswell (a friend visiting with me had more of a hard time at passport control for some reason!)

Before I landed I was concerned about two issues - these were proof of funds and goods to follow lists

Firstly proof of funds - there is some debate that these funds must be unincumbered (which I believe is the official line) however all my funds are tied up in my property and car etc. I had heard that if your PR was processed through the London office - then when the time came for landing they would accept house valuation and mortgage statement. I deliberated for a while, but this is what I decided to do. My landing process went very smoothly, I answered all the required questions, but I was not asked for any proof of funds at any time, The only question I was asked was how much money are your bringing into Canada - . I first thought it was my entire funds ie house equity - I answered with a figure confidently - I think this is important as if you um and ar it possibly raises the request of proof from you. It turns out all they wanted to know was just what CAD cash I had on me, and the question was never raised for proof of my total funds. A lot of people it seems have been in this situation, this was just my experience.

The immigration process only took 20-30minutes, then another 20-30minutes through customs with goods to follow declarations.

After completing all the immigration process, I asked the way to customs. I had prepared all my lists on an excel sheet (both Goods to follow and goods accompanying) These lists gave me a few sleepless nights I can tell you!! - as although Wiki gives you a good idea, I just wasnt sure how much detail to go in to, and as I hadn't yet packed any of my possessions, just wasn't sure for example - what items I could put into what box, and how many boxes there would be. In the end I gave everything a category with a blanket description with typical contents and over estimated the amount of boxes I would need for each category - (as I could well end up shipping them at separate intervals) Such blanket descriptions examples would be: Kitchen utensils - glasses, mugs etc - 5 boxes, Household ornaments - models, clocks, barometer etc - 6 boxes, personal keepsakes - photos, cards, magazines etc - 4 boxes and so on..... the only items I listed separately were large stand alone items (appliances or maybe furniture) and any single item of a significantly higher value ie jewelry or antique items etc The customs officer acknowledged my list, and didnt ask any questions just completed their part of the forms, she then copied them after asking me to confirm the value in CAD, she then issued me with a goods acconting document with my name, planned Canadian address, (i dont think this adress is too important if you will be collecting your goods) inbound flight No, and the total value of goods on it. She told me to keep this for when I collected my goods after shipping.

I'm pleased to say that all went very smoothly - I also got quite a bit more done whilst I was there, SIN number, OHIP (health card) driving licence, and opened a bank account, so when I do go early next year, I will mainy be set up. I did go for two job interviews, unfortunately they weren't suitable, but feel as all the donkey work is done now, I can devote all my time and efforts to getting a job. - I hope!!

The best of luck to everyone who is about to go through it - hope it all goes well.

Paul
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing in Canada - my experience.

Paul,

Where did you land?

S.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your detailed account, Paul. I'm sure it will be very useful to others.

I'm also glad that things went smoothly at your port of entry. Ironical that your travel companion, who was only visiting Canada, had a harder time.

I'm curious how you were able to get a provincial health care insurance card and driver's licence. I thought you had to provide proof that you actually had taken up residence in the relevant province. For example, when I exchanged my Victoria, Australia driver's licence for an Alberta one in 2000, they asked me to show correspondence that was addressed to me in Alberta, an offer to purchase a residence or a residential lease agreement, or a couple of documents of that nature.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Sep 28th 2008 at 10:26 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:26 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Canada (even if you aren't in Canada at the moment).
x
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats OP

I don't know if the OP is in Ontario but no proof of address is needed for exchanging a license for an Ontario one. Whilst I found OHIP to be completely unreasonable about legitimate evidence of residency in Ontario for Mr B, when it arrives, the Ontario license can be used as proof of residency in Ontario for that purpose. Bit of a flaw in the system, isn't it?!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spooooook
Paul,

Where did you land?

S.
Hello Spooook,

My port of entry was Lester B Pearson - Toronto airport.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Thanks for your detailed account, Paul. I'm sure it will be very useful to others.

I'm also glad that things went smoothly at your port of entry. Ironical that your travel companion, who was only visiting Canada, had a harder time.

I'm curious how you were able to get a provincial health care insurance card and driver's licence. I thought you had to provide proof that you actually had taken up residence in the relevant province. For example, when I exchanged my Victoria, Australia driver's licence for an Alberta one in 2000, they asked me to show correspondence that was addressed to me in Alberta, an offer to purchase a residence or a residential lease agreement, or a couple of documents of that nature.
x

Thanks Judy for your kind wishes.

Yes my friend seemed to get a lot of questions! - perhaps they do that at random every now and then.... and my friend happened to be the unlucky one!

I have got a planned residential address in Canada, (I will be living with a friend for a while) this is the address I was asked by the immigration officer to write on my confirmation of permanant residence form, to enable them to mail my PR card - along with driving licence, OHIP etc. If I gave this address for my PR card (a very important bit of documentation) then perhaps this was sufficient for them issue the driving licence aswel? as they needed my confirmation of PR to apply for the licence. As for the OHIP card, once I had the driving licence, they were happy to apply for that along with my passport and again the confirmation of PR form.

But you are quite right - i didn't show actual proof. I'm not complaining though - it means I have got a lot of administration already sorted now.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Sep 29th 2008 at 12:58 pm. Reason: content added
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Congrats OP

I don't know if the OP is in Ontario but no proof of address is needed for exchanging a license for an Ontario one. Whilst I found OHIP to be completely unreasonable about legitimate evidence of residency in Ontario for Mr B, when it arrives, the Ontario license can be used as proof of residency in Ontario for that purpose. Bit of a flaw in the system, isn't it?!
Biiiiink,

Yes it is a flaw as thats what I actually did - OHIP accepted my temporary Ontario driving licence as proof of residence - but when I exchanged my UK driving licence for an Ontario one - all I needed was the confimation of permanant residence form (with my PR card mailing and confessed residential address written on it) and my passport.

Like I said to Judy - i'm not complaining! Ive got all my important bits of admin done now, that was really important for me whilst I was there.

Paul
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Thanks Judy for your kind wishes.

Yes my friend seemed to get a lot of questions! - perhaps they do that at random every now and then.... and my friend happened to be the unlucky one!

I have got a planned residential address in Canada, (I will be living with a friend for a while) this is the address I was asked by the immigration officer to write on my confirmation of permanant residence form, to enable them to mail my PR card - along with driving licence, OHIP etc. If I gave this address for my PR card (a very important bit of documentation) then perhaps this was sufficient for them issue the driving licence aswel? as they needed my confirmation of PR to apply for the licence. As for the OHIP card, once I had the driving licence, they were happy to apply for that along with my passport and again the confirmation of PR form.

But you are quite right - i didn't show actual proof. I'm not complaining though - it means I have got a lot of administration already sorted now.

Paul
I think they must question people at randam, the 1st time i visited we were at baggage recalim at Vancouver and i was standing to the side whilst boyfriend picked up the cases, and an officer came up to me and started asking all these questions, that had already been asked by immgration desk, and then took both me and my canadian boyfriend into customs and checked ALL of our baggage, even took my sealed toothpaste to check if i had tampered with it!!

ANd congrats on landing!! I cant wait now!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:09 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Hello all,

I have just returned from a two week stay in Canada, when I officially landed - I am now a permanent resident of Canada - even though Im here in the UK! (for now)

I just thought I would post a thread on here to let people know of my landing experience as I know how nervous how I was about it all!

I arrived at the airport and waited as normal to go through passport control, when my turn came I told the immigration officer that I wanted to land as a permanent resident. I was directed to the immigration department, where when asked; produced all of my documentation. (passport, confirmation of permanent residence etc) the officer who dealt with it was proffesional but quite friendly aswell (a friend visiting with me had more of a hard time at passport control for some reason!)

Before I landed I was concerned about two issues - these were proof of funds and goods to follow lists

Firstly proof of funds - there is some debate that these funds must be unincumbered (which I believe is the official line) however all my funds are tied up in my property and car etc. I had heard that if your PR was processed through the London office - then when the time came for landing they would accept house valuation and mortgage statement. I deliberated for a while, but this is what I decided to do. My landing process went very smoothly, I answered all the required questions, but I was not asked for any proof of funds at any time, The only question I was asked was how much money are your bringing into Canada - . I first thought it was my entire funds ie house equity - I answered with a figure confidently - I think this is important as if you um and ar it possibly raises the request of proof from you. It turns out all they wanted to know was just what CAD cash I had on me, and the question was never raised for proof of my total funds. A lot of people it seems have been in this situation, this was just my experience.

The immigration process only took 20-30minutes, then another 20-30minutes through customs with goods to follow declarations.

After completing all the immigration process, I asked the way to customs. I had prepared all my lists on an excel sheet (both Goods to follow and goods accompanying) These lists gave me a few sleepless nights I can tell you!! - as although Wiki gives you a good idea, I just wasnt sure how much detail to go in to, and as I hadn't yet packed any of my possessions, just wasn't sure for example - what items I could put into what box, and how many boxes there would be. In the end I gave everything a category with a blanket description with typical contents and over estimated the amount of boxes I would need for each category - (as I could well end up shipping them at separate intervals) Such blanket descriptions examples would be: Kitchen utensils - glasses, mugs etc - 5 boxes, Household ornaments - models, clocks, barometer etc - 6 boxes, personal keepsakes - photos, cards, magazines etc - 4 boxes and so on..... the only items I listed separately were large stand alone items (appliances or maybe furniture) and any single item of a significantly higher value ie jewelry or antique items etc The customs officer acknowledged my list, and didnt ask any questions just completed their part of the forms, she then copied them after asking me to confirm the value in CAD, she then issued me with a goods acconting document with my name, planned Canadian address, (i dont think this adress is too important if you will be collecting your goods) inbound flight No, and the total value of goods on it. She told me to keep this for when I collected my goods after shipping.

I'm pleased to say that all went very smoothly - I also got quite a bit more done whilst I was there, SIN number, OHIP (health card) driving licence, and opened a bank account, so when I do go early next year, I will mainy be set up. I did go for two job interviews, unfortunately they weren't suitable, but feel as all the donkey work is done now, I can devote all my time and efforts to getting a job. - I hope!!

The best of luck to everyone who is about to go through it - hope it all goes well.

Paul
Hi Paul

Congrats. The hard bit is done now and I know you were nervous about it that.

You can concentrate now looking for a job but its a shame that the 2 posts that you went for were unsuitable. How are you finding the job market? I remember having a conversation with you before about people are only interested when you have landed is this the case?

KJM
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJM
Hi Paul

Congrats. The hard bit is done now and I know you were nervous about it that.

You can concentrate now looking for a job but its a shame that the 2 posts that you went for were unsuitable. How are you finding the job market? I remember having a conversation with you before about people are only interested when you have landed is this the case?

KJM
Hello KJM...

Thanks for your congrats, yes most of the hard bit is done - but I have one major thing to do - and that is find a job. I'm finding it exactly how you have said -companies are not really interested unless you are IN Canada, trying to secure something from the UK is almost impossible. My friend over in Canada said I did well to set up the two interviews, its a real shame they wern't suitable. I'm sure this is not the case with everyone, I think it depends on circumstances and people's individual proffesions, for example many people work in global companies who have sister/parent companies in Canada, or some may have a profession that is in very high demand, in either case if a Canadian employer is interested, they will actually go to the trouble of arranging an interview by phone or video phone. My job doesn't fall into either of those examples, so if you do apply for a job the reply, once they know you are still in the UK is "contact us when you living here" many employers don't want the trouble.

So it looks like handing in my notice (at probably one of the worst economic times for some years) going over there and getting my head down applying for anything remotely suitable. I haven't got much back up money - all my assets are in my property whcih I am renting out (as its just pointless selling at the moment - people just aren't buying, and I'd have to give it away to sell it) so I need a job right away - its scary - paticulary during these times, not helped by some of my family keep saying oh I think you need a job before you go.... you may get into trouble... yes thanks for stating the blinding obvious. Im just really grateful I have a friend to stop with for the time being and only have myself to look after.

Still... as its been said before, nothing worth doing is ever simple, and of course carries a certain risk, it would have been nice to do it under better economic conditions but I'm determined to do it, and what else can you do - put it the decision on hold? Ive done enough waiting around its now or never! A leap of faith!

How are you finding the job market? do you still plan to job search once you arrive in Canada? When are you planning to land/arrive in Canada? What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

Paul
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

fi816 is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul hi,

We are landing in Toronto on Thurs 23rd Oct, and like yourself are coming back to the uk for a period of time.

Can I ask you if you had to have with you, or show proof of a certain amount of cash? we are a bit confused as we are returning to the uk after landing. We have done a goods to follow list and also one for the stuff we have with us but, what do we do for proof of funds eg house value, saving etc.

Thanks fi
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fi816
Paul hi,

We are landing in Toronto on Thurs 23rd Oct, and like yourself are coming back to the uk for a period of time.

Can I ask you if you had to have with you, or show proof of a certain amount of cash? we are a bit confused as we are returning to the uk after landing. We have done a goods to follow list and also one for the stuff we have with us but, what do we do for proof of funds eg house value, saving etc.

Thanks fi
Hello Fi,

This is a very grey area - many people say that you must have proof of UNINCUMBERED funds, I was't sure what to do for my landing, at the time of my application I had proof of over 10000CAD in my bank account required, however when my time came to land, the only funds I could prove was the equity in my house. Some say this is unsuitable as its not unincumbered, however when I landed this is what I chose to do - by way of a mortgage statement from my building society and a house valuation from an estate agent.

When I did land - I wasn't asked for any proof of funds at all - so obviously let sleeping dogs lie, but decided before hand, that if they did ask how much I was bringing into Canada - just to state a figure confidently - I feel if you hesitate - they may be inclined to ask for proof then.

I never found out weather the proof by way of my house equity was sufficient, but I have also heard that if your application for PR went through the London office, then proof of house equity was accpetable. If you are still concerned then the only option left open to you is a short term loan to boost your bank statement - by way of a good friend or family member! or an official loan, but that may work out a bit pricey for something that may well not be required.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Oct 14th 2008 at 12:49 pm. Reason: Spelling!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

vancouvervilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Fi,

This is a very grey area - many people say that you must have proof of UNINCUMBERED funds, I was't sure what to do for my landing, at the time of my application I had proof of over 10000CAD in my bank account required, however when my time came to land, the only funds I could prove was the equity in my house. Some say this is unsuitable as its not unincumbered, however when I landed this is what I chose to do - by way of a mortgage statement from my building society and a house valuation from an estate agent.

When I did land - I wasn't asked for any proof of funds at all - so obviously let sleeping dogs lie, but decided before hand, that if they did ask how much I was bringing into Canada - just to state a figure confidently - I feel if you hesitate - they may be inclined to ask for proof then.

I never found out weather the proof by way of my house equity was sufficient, but I have also heard that if your application for PR went through the London office, then proof of house equity was accpetable. If you are still concerned then the only option left open to you is a short term loan to boost your bank statement - by way of a good friend or family member! or an official loan, but that may work out a bit pricey for something that may well not be required.

Paul
Hello all,

I landed at Vancouver on Sunday. I told my girlfriend who was picking me up that it could take between 2-3 hours. Usually when I arrive at Van there is a massive queue waiting for immigration but I landed on a sunday and there was no one there. When travelling to Van for a visit I usually get the third degree from the border guards as I have been back and forth to see my girlfriend every 3 months. They can be a right pain and I have been scared that I'm not going to get through.

I got to the immigratio and he went through a few questions. They were friendly and they were all joking with each other but don't ever try and joke with them as well!! He gave me a bit of a grilling over a few questions. Like have i been refused entry before. I said no as I hadn't but I had been asked to leave when my one year young persons work ran out. This came up on screen and he asked me all about it. He asked how much money i had on me. I didn't have much but remember seeing on the customs card that you have to declare if you are bringing in more than $10,000. In all, the plane landed at 15.10 and I was out of the door with my bags at 15.50. Not bloody bad!! Waltzed through customs as well.

Now I'm here I'm finding it hard to get a job. But I will have to chase that up.

Good luck all!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

Originally Posted by vancouvervilla
Hello all,

I landed at Vancouver on Sunday. I told my girlfriend who was picking me up that it could take between 2-3 hours. Usually when I arrive at Van there is a massive queue waiting for immigration but I landed on a sunday and there was no one there. When travelling to Van for a visit I usually get the third degree from the border guards as I have been back and forth to see my girlfriend every 3 months. They can be a right pain and I have been scared that I'm not going to get through.

I got to the immigratio and he went through a few questions. They were friendly and they were all joking with each other but don't ever try and joke with them as well!! He gave me a bit of a grilling over a few questions. Like have i been refused entry before. I said no as I hadn't but I had been asked to leave when my one year young persons work ran out. This came up on screen and he asked me all about it. He asked how much money i had on me. I didn't have much but remember seeing on the customs card that you have to declare if you are bringing in more than $10,000. In all, the plane landed at 15.10 and I was out of the door with my bags at 15.50. Not bloody bad!! Waltzed through customs as well.

Now I'm here I'm finding it hard to get a job. But I will have to chase that up.

Good luck all!
I ahve flown into Van a few times also, When landing do you go to the same immi desks like a normal visitor or is there anywhere different to go? Do they ask all the questions at the desk or do they take yuo to a separate area? Sorry for all the q's but i hope to be in BC in about a year and am trying to gain an idea of all the obstacles along the path! What sort of questions do tey ask?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.