Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing in Canada to activate VISA

Wikiposts

Landing in Canada to activate VISA

Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

jwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the rough
Default Landing in Canada to activate VISA

Hi,

I expect that this has been answered elsewhere, but with the date of our flight to Canada drawing nearer I felt I should ask in person...

If you are landing in Canada to activate PR status, and then intend to return home. How should we fill out the goods accompanying and good to follow lists and form b4-eng? It is quite likely that we may not settle in Canada for another 6-12 months after returning home (have to sell house first), and in that time the possessions we own/want to bring with us may have significantly changed. Also I assume that even given the above (that we are not settling straight away) they will still want to see proof of funds when we land?

All the best,

James.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Perola is a jewel in the roughPerola is a jewel in the roughPerola is a jewel in the roughPerola is a jewel in the roughPerola is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Landing in Canada to activate VISA

We too are landing shortly to activate our PR visas and then returning home to sell our house, with a view to hopefully make a permanent move within the following 12 months.

For the Goods Accompanying list we are declaring the value of the contents of our suitcases (mainly clothes), the value of the suitcases and our cameras. For Goods To Follow I am making a list of everything in the house , plus a few things we have yet to buy e.g. a new bed and a couple of sofas. I am going to over-estimate the number of items on our Goods To Follow as I understand that it doesn't matter if you don't import an item on the GTF list but you can't add to it once it has been given to Customs.

I don't know anything about Proof of Funds as we are being sponsored by our son who has undertaken to provide us with financial assistance should it be necessary!
Old May 1st 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

What would you put on such a list if all your stuff is already in Canada (from stay on TWP)?
Old May 1st 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jwsadler
Hi,

I expect that this has been answered elsewhere, but with the date of our flight to Canada drawing nearer I felt I should ask in person...

If you are landing in Canada to activate PR status, and then intend to return home. How should we fill out the goods accompanying and good to follow lists and form b4-eng? It is quite likely that we may not settle in Canada for another 6-12 months after returning home (have to sell house first), and in that time the possessions we own/want to bring with us may have significantly changed. Also I assume that even given the above (that we are not settling straight away) they will still want to see proof of funds when we land?

All the best,

James.

Hi James

My husband landed a couple of weeks ago and he took a list of what we were taking with us, we have put down everything that we might take with us. This was a simple list done in excel with estimated values against each item. The customs officer said this was fine and just stamped it! I believe you can take off the list but you can't add to it.

If you are returning in most instances you can ask for your list to be stamped when you re-enter but we were advised that you should have a list prepared just incase they insist on it.

Kevin also had to provide proof of funds on landing again this was all very straight forward, they just looked at the bank statement and then asked him to sign his COPR form and welcomed him to Canada. All over in less than 30 minutes.

Best of luck, just give me a shout if you need any more information or want to see the list we provided.

Michelle
Old May 1st 2009, 4:16 am
Duke of Africa

bryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hollis Family
Hi James

My husband landed a couple of weeks ago and he took a list of what we were taking with us, we have put down everything that we might take with us. This was a simple list done in excel with estimated values against each item. The customs officer said this was fine and just stamped it! I believe you can take off the list but you can't add to it.

If you are returning in most instances you can ask for your list to be stamped when you re-enter but we were advised that you should have a list prepared just incase they insist on it.

Kevin also had to provide proof of funds on landing again this was all very straight forward, they just looked at the bank statement and then asked him to sign his COPR form and welcomed him to Canada. All over in less than 30 minutes.

Best of luck, just give me a shout if you need any more information or want to see the list we provided.

Michelle
Did Kevin had to show proof of fund in pounds? Is a bank statement showing balance in british pound acceptable?
Old May 1st 2009, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bryandavid
Did Kevin had to show proof of fund in pounds? Is a bank statement showing balance in british pound acceptable?
A bit of both actually, we transferred $22k (just over the minimum funds for a family of 4) to our TD Trust savings account and he also provided a bank statement of the funds we have here in the UK. He wasn't asked any detail on this - they just quickly glanced at it!

Michelle
Old May 5th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwsadler
Hi,

All the best,

James.

Hello James,

Below is a section of a post I made after landing and activating my PR status in Canada back in September, those were the two issues that were concerning me, goods to follow and proof of funds, I had a few sleepless nights about those lists! however Im very pleased to say it all went very smoothly.

With regards to the goods to follow lists - just put EVERYTHING on! even if you think you wont take it, that way you cant go wrong.

I am about to move over permanently soon, infact it will be 4 weeks today I leave the shores of ole Blighty! Looking forward to it....but really nervous too.

Best of luck to you too!

Paul

Before I landed I was concerned about two issues - these were proof of funds and goods to follow lists

Firstly proof of funds - there is some debate that these funds must be unincumbered (which I believe is the official line) however all my funds are tied up in my property and car etc. I had heard that if your PR was processed through the London office - then when the time came for landing they would accept house valuation and mortgage statement. I deliberated for a while, but this is what I decided to do. My landing process went very smoothly, I answered all the required questions, but I was not asked for any proof of funds at any time, The only question I was asked was how much money are your bringing into Canada - . I first thought it was my entire funds ie house equity - I answered with a figure confidently - I think this is important as if you um and ar it possibly raises the request of proof from you. It turns out all they wanted to know was just what CAD cash I had on me, and the question was never raised for proof of my total funds. A lot of people it seems have been in this situation, this was just my experience.

The immigration process only took 20-30minutes, then another 20-30minutes through customs with goods to follow declarations.

After completing all the immigration process, I asked the way to customs. I had prepared all my lists on an excel sheet (both Goods to follow and goods accompanying) These lists gave me a few sleepless nights I can tell you!! - as although Wiki gives you a good idea, I just wasnt sure how much detail to go in to, and as I hadn't yet packed any of my possessions, just wasn't sure for example - what items I could put into what box, and how many boxes there would be. In the end I gave everything a category with a blanket description with typical contents and over estimated the amount of boxes I would need for each category - (as I could well end up shipping them at separate intervals) Such blanket descriptions examples would be: Kitchen utensils - glasses, mugs etc - 5 boxes, Household ornaments - models, clocks, barometer etc - 6 boxes, personal keepsakes - photos, cards, magazines etc - 4 boxes and so on..... the only items I listed separately were large stand alone items (appliances or maybe furniture) and any single item of a significantly higher value ie jewelry or antique items etc The customs officer acknowledged my list, and didnt ask any questions just completed their part of the forms, she then copied them after asking me to confirm the value in CAD, she then issued me with a goods acconting document with my name, planned Canadian address, (i dont think this adress is too important if you will be collecting your goods) inbound flight No, and the total value of goods on it. She told me to keep this for when I collected my goods after shipping.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

jwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Hello James,

Below is a section of a post I made after landing and activating my PR status in Canada back in September, those were the two issues that were concerning me, goods to follow and proof of funds, I had a few sleepless nights about those lists! however Im very pleased to say it all went very smoothly.

With regards to the goods to follow lists - just put EVERYTHING on! even if you think you wont take it, that way you cant go wrong.

I am about to move over permanently soon, infact it will be 4 weeks today I leave the shores of ole Blighty! Looking forward to it....but really nervous too.

Best of luck to you too!

Paul

Before I landed I was concerned about two issues - these were proof of funds and goods to follow lists

Firstly proof of funds - there is some debate that these funds must be unincumbered (which I believe is the official line) however all my funds are tied up in my property and car etc. I had heard that if your PR was processed through the London office - then when the time came for landing they would accept house valuation and mortgage statement. I deliberated for a while, but this is what I decided to do. My landing process went very smoothly, I answered all the required questions, but I was not asked for any proof of funds at any time, The only question I was asked was how much money are your bringing into Canada - . I first thought it was my entire funds ie house equity - I answered with a figure confidently - I think this is important as if you um and ar it possibly raises the request of proof from you. It turns out all they wanted to know was just what CAD cash I had on me, and the question was never raised for proof of my total funds. A lot of people it seems have been in this situation, this was just my experience.

The immigration process only took 20-30minutes, then another 20-30minutes through customs with goods to follow declarations.

After completing all the immigration process, I asked the way to customs. I had prepared all my lists on an excel sheet (both Goods to follow and goods accompanying) These lists gave me a few sleepless nights I can tell you!! - as although Wiki gives you a good idea, I just wasnt sure how much detail to go in to, and as I hadn't yet packed any of my possessions, just wasn't sure for example - what items I could put into what box, and how many boxes there would be. In the end I gave everything a category with a blanket description with typical contents and over estimated the amount of boxes I would need for each category - (as I could well end up shipping them at separate intervals) Such blanket descriptions examples would be: Kitchen utensils - glasses, mugs etc - 5 boxes, Household ornaments - models, clocks, barometer etc - 6 boxes, personal keepsakes - photos, cards, magazines etc - 4 boxes and so on..... the only items I listed separately were large stand alone items (appliances or maybe furniture) and any single item of a significantly higher value ie jewelry or antique items etc The customs officer acknowledged my list, and didnt ask any questions just completed their part of the forms, she then copied them after asking me to confirm the value in CAD, she then issued me with a goods acconting document with my name, planned Canadian address, (i dont think this adress is too important if you will be collecting your goods) inbound flight No, and the total value of goods on it. She told me to keep this for when I collected my goods after shipping.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post - its very useful!

Did you have a value against each of your boxes - or did you just do a best guess and convert to CAD? Am I right in thinking that the spreadsheets are an addition to the b4-eng form?

Good luck with your move - I hope it all goes well.

We're going out at the end of May to activate the VISA and then hopefully out again (for good) in December.

Best regards,

James.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

It's a bit off topic, but can I ask why people fly to Canada in order to activate PR and then come straight back again?

We have a provincial nomination, but for various reasons don't want to go until summer 2010. We are trying to delay getting applying for PR and then will delay getting medicals done in order that we don't have to land until then.

Is there a problem with this approach? I'm just intrigued that you would go to the trouble/expense of going to Canada just to activate PR. Once you have PR in Canada, does it not affect your right to services and the way you pay tax in the UK?

Also, don't you have to take your driving test in Canada within 90 of landing and give up your British driving licence?
Old May 9th 2009, 3:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by screene
It's a bit off topic, but can I ask why people fly to Canada in order to activate PR and then come straight back again?

We have a provincial nomination, but for various reasons don't want to go until summer 2010. We are trying to delay getting applying for PR and then will delay getting medicals done in order that we don't have to land until then.

Is there a problem with this approach? I'm just intrigued that you would go to the trouble/expense of going to Canada just to activate PR. Once you have PR in Canada, does it not affect your right to services and the way you pay tax in the UK?

Also, don't you have to take your driving test in Canada within 90 of landing and give up your British driving licence?

1. Because the COPR has a validity date 1 year after the medical, use or lose it.
2. You better check how long your PNP certificate is valid for, some provinces they are only valid for 6 months.
3. "landing" and residence are 2 different things when it comes to taxes and DLs. You may have "landed" but are not necessarily a resident for income tax purposes or for exchanging DLs. By the way some provinces you can exchange your UK license, others you are required to do the tests.
Old May 9th 2009, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Thanks PMM. Just a few thoughts:

Originally Posted by PMM
2. You better check how long your PNP certificate is valid for, some provinces they are only valid for 6 months.
In fact ours is for NS and it's only valid for 3 months. We're trying to time things to go when our kids have finished their exams, so want to delay our medicals until July or even better August this year so we don't have to land until July/Aug 2010.

Originally Posted by PMM
3. "landing" and residence are 2 different things when it comes to taxes and DLs. You may have "landed" but are not necessarily a resident for income tax purposes or for exchanging DLs. By the way some provinces you can exchange your UK license, others you are required to do the tests.
[/QUOTE]

In NS you can only drive for 90 days on a British licence, and you have to take the test. Bad news for me, because I will have to do car and motorbike . Surely the 90 days must start from when you land - what other date could it be judged against?
Old May 9th 2009, 4:44 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks PMM. Just a few thoughts:

In fact ours is for NS and it's only valid for 3 months. We're trying to time things to go when our kids have finished their exams, so want to delay our medicals until July or even better August this year so we don't have to land until July/Aug 2010.
Best check this carefully. I know of one PNP applicant in BC who had their nomination withdrawn because they took too long. Their PNP letter was issued in October 2008 but they had a job in Europe for summer 2009 and said they would not move to BC till September 2009. The PNP people said that the whole point of the PNP was to fill labour shortages. It is not intended to be an alternative to the skilled worker visa. If the nominated person was not going to meet the immediate labour shortage then PNP was inappropriate.

In NS you can only drive for 90 days on a British licence, and you have to take the test. Bad news for me, because I will have to do car and motorbike . Surely the 90 days must start from when you land - what other date could it be judged against?
The relevant date for your driving license is the date you physically take up residence in the province.
Old May 9th 2009, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Interesting... our PNP is via the community identified route, and as such is not related to a job, but I take your point. Best not to push my luck I guess.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The relevant date for your driving license is the date you physically take up residence in the province.
How does anyone actually know when this date is? Do you have to notify anyone?
Old May 9th 2009, 12:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

How does anyone actually know when this date is? Do you have to notify anyone?
You don't have to notify anyone specifically for the driving license but you are expected to abide by the rules. You can be sure that if you were involved in an accident the police and insurers would be able to find out. Insurance is the big issue. If you don't have an appropriate driving license your insurance company might refuse to pay up.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

ZWogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hollis Family
Hi James

Michelle
Hi Hollis Family

I have sent you a PM regarding this.

Thanks Zoe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.