landing in Canada

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:53 am
Just Joined

tope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default landing in Canada

I am a UK citizen and have recently received my immigration visa to join my husband in Canada.
However, at the time I was asked to send off my passport to the Consulate in London, UK, I was visiting in Canada. I therefore sent my passport to London and my mum sent it off to the Consulate and she then sent it back to me (in Canada).
Now, I want to land in Canada but do not want to have to travel (by air) to the UK and back to do that.
Is it possible that my husband drives me across the border at Niagara-Buffalo and then on my re-entry into Canada, I declare to the immigration officer that I want to "land" in Canada?
My question is "Is it possible to enter Canada on a permanent residence visa by land travel? And is it possible to do so from a different country from where the visa was issued?"

thanks
t
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

pero is an unknown quantity at this point

yes
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: landing in Canada

Originally posted by tope
I am a UK citizen and have recently received my immigration visa to join my husband in Canada.
However, at the time I was asked to send off my passport to the Consulate in London, UK, I was visiting in Canada. I therefore sent my passport to London and my mum sent it off to the Consulate and she then sent it back to me (in Canada).
Now, I want to land in Canada but do not want to have to travel (by air) to the UK and back to do that.
Is it possible that my husband drives me across the border at Niagara-Buffalo and then on my re-entry into Canada, I declare to the immigration officer that I want to "land" in Canada?
My question is "Is it possible to enter Canada on a permanent residence visa by land travel? And is it possible to do so from a different country from where the visa was issued?"

thanks
t
Yep! I did it with my whole family at Windsor. Let the immigration know on your way out of Canada, they will give you some paperwork for the US customs that will (hopefully) mean you won't have to pay to get into the US. If I recall, the US will reject your entry and send you back then you can land. This was 5 years ago and I might have it wrong - ask on your way out and you can't go wrong.