kids pernament residency

Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about
Default kids pernament residency

My husband and I have split up and he is working in Canada on a work permit.

He's applying for a PR and has asked for a photocopy of the kids passports to get them a PR. He tells me that this is so they could go to university over there if they wanted to when they are older. I asked why he couldn't do this if/when they needed it. He's told me it has to be done at the same time as his application. Is this correct?

Hope you can help. I'd like to know the facts from another source.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:54 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids pernament residency

Originally Posted by HellyWelly
My husband and I have split up and he is working in Canada on a work permit.

He's applying for a PR and has asked for a photocopy of the kids passports to get them a PR. He tells me that this is so they could go to university over there if they wanted to when they are older. I asked why he couldn't do this if/when they needed it. He's told me it has to be done at the same time as his application. Is this correct?

Hope you can help. I'd like to know the facts from another source.

Thanks in advance
Hi - if he is including the kids on his application, then yes, he does need to provide copies of their passports and at some point in the future they will need to go for Immigration medicals. He will also need some kind of signed document from you, confirming you are happy for him to include the kids in his pr application.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about

If he doesn't include the kids in his application can he do it at a later date?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Are the kids going to be living in Canada? If not, they will lose PR status anyway unless they live there for at least 2 of the 5 years after activating PR status.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Are the kids going to be living in Canada? If not, they will lose PR status anyway unless they live there for at least 2 of the 5 years after activating PR status.
Oh thank you for that, that has helped so much. I like to get the facts straight and now you've said that it makes sense too.

Cheers
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:59 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We had to include my stepson on the application. This was because if HE decided to move here as an adult we would be able to sponsor him, if he wasn't on the application he would have to go through the whole immigration rigmarole on his own. It was beneficial for HIM to be included on the initial application in case he decided to move out here in the future.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:22 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

If the children are not medically examined etc. they will not be eligible to be sponsored later. They do not have to accompany your former spouse when he goes to Canada but can retain their right to sponsorship so long as they meet the definition of dependent child..
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm still confused. Does the PR run out if the kids don't live there, which they aren't, in which case what's the point to doing it. How does the sponsorship work? Will they need medicals?

I feel a little lost with all this, I need to get back up to speed with immigration again.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm still confused. Does the PR run out if the kids don't live there, which they aren't, in which case what's the point to doing it. How does the sponsorship work? Will they need medicals?

I feel a little lost with all this, I need to get back up to speed with immigration again.
The kids PR status will run out if they don't spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada, but if they aren't included on the application form and don't have a medical, then they cannot be sponsored by their father in the future either.

I know you may think that they'll never want to live in Canada with your ex, but in worst case scenario i.e. something happening to you, it would be better for them to have the option of going there.

HTH.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;9161630]The kids PR status will run out if they don't spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada, but if they aren't included on the application form and don't have a medical, then they cannot be sponsored by their father in the future either.

I know you may think that they'll never want to live in Canada with your ex, but in worst case scenario i.e. something happening to you, it would be better for them to have the option of going there.

Thanks for that, it's helped a lot.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:52 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

HTH.
Have to agree with that 100%
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Just because your ex wants then on his PR paperwork doesn't mean they will get PR, it just means he can sponsor them later, when they are adults IF they want to move here. They will need to have medicals, which do cost money, which your ex should be willing to pay.

My OH put his son on our PR application 7 years ago, we don't know if my stepson will ever want to live here, but things are in place in case he wants to make the move at a later date. He is 20 now and he may want to spend time in Canada, he may not.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your answers, I didn't realise they needed a medical my ex never mentioned it.

Thank you everyone, I've always found everyone on here so helpful in the past when I was filling in all the work permit forms a couple of years ago and you've helped me again now. It's a shame we never made it over there, oh well.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:13 pm

Thanks for all your answers, I didn't realise they needed a medical my ex never mentioned it.

Thank you everyone, I've always found everyone on here so helpful in the past when I was filling in all the work permit forms a couple of years ago and you've helped me again now. It's a shame we never made it over there, oh well.
Oh there might be age limits on the medicals, can't remember now, my stepson would have been 13 and he needed something checking? Can't remember if my daughter needed anything.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

May also be worth adding, to Piff Poff's excellent advice, is that they can only be sponsored whilst they are 'dependent children', which is age 22 unless they are still in full-time education or disabled.

Once they hit 22, your ex could not sponsor them for PR anyway(even if they've had medicals and been included on his application), unless he lives in a couple of specific provinces that allow it via their PNP. But it just gives them that option until they are 22.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.