Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just need to vent for a second! PR CARD renewal!

Just need to vent for a second! PR CARD renewal!

Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:08 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just need to vent for a second! PR CARD renewal!

How does something 'permanent' expire?
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

It depends on your definition of permanent. Although Permanent Residency doesn't expire it can be taken away from you if you don't meet the residency obligation.
Permanent residents can still be deported even if they have permanent residency.
is it possible for a PR (card holder) re-entering Canada to be refused entry?

Does the Canadian government have to explain the reason for revoking & chucking out a PR, to even not allowing a PR card holder re-entry to Canada & turning them away?

One or two reasons would be nice to know?

Made the Torstar headlines - the case of some old Scottish chap that came to Canada before the second world war, good citizen & all that, did his bit for King & country at war for Canada, then one day sometine in the 70's after a visit back to the old country was refused entry to Canada (having only a British passport) he never had taken out Canadian citizenship.

Other similar cases along the line somewhere.

From what I understand PR is 'not permanent', isn't just someone on a visa at the discretion of Canada that can be revoked at any time?

Which brings me to Bristols point of 'freedom of choice'

Why would a person who is a PR in Canada, who has been here for 5+ years (some 30+ years) not want to become a Canadian citizen after they made the choice to live here, settle, set up home, job, kids etc?

Outside the time & cost of doing it, I would like to know why folks do not become Canadian citizens if their centre of life is in Canada?

Then there are those that get PR & start ping ponging, different reason & purpose

Then there are those that do become Canadian citizens who straight after leave & never come back only 'if & when its convenient' for whatever reason

Last edited by not2old; Dec 17th 2016 at 8:12 am.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A person who is a PR has a right of entry into Canada.

If a person on entering is found not to meet the residency obligation they are reported and issued a non enforceable removal order on entry which can then be appealed within 30 days. If no appeal is filed then after that 30 days then they have 30 days to leave Canada. If they don't leave or have their departure confirmed by CBSA then the removal order automatically turns into a deportation order.

If a PR commits a crime in Canada and receives a jail sentence of over 6 months or the crime in the sentencing part mentions 10 years but they serve no jail time or less than 6 months then they can be reported and referred for an admissibility hearing where they will then be issued with a deportation order.

So the short answer is a PR cannot be refused entry until one of the above happens as that is the stage when PR status is revoked.

Any UK citizen who does not get dual citizenship is an IDIOT in my opinion as this has happened to many who end up getting sent back to the UK after living for years in Canada.

A dual citizen cannot be deported but a PR can so its a no brainer IMHO.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:44 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

FL @ post #17, thanks for that

needed to go check to what it all meant about the 'residency obligation'

Understand permanent resident status
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
##I've only renewed PR card once so far and I don't recall it being that long.

I wonder though...given the recent changes mentioned like inland applications speeding up, maybe PR Card renewal speeds up too.

Is there anything to suggest PR Card renewal takes significantly longer when there have been periods out of Canada?
I have had to renew my card once, and I did spend time outside of Canada, 11 months in total in the time frame. My card was renewed and new one sent all within the posted time on CIC website, so didn't appear it was delayed in any way.

The 11 months were consecutive not over the entire period.

I have 2 years left on my current card, I may apply for citizenship if we have the funds this year. I have no aversion to Canadian citizenship, the cost to apply has just been out of reach.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 17th 2016 at 10:10 am.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 2:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Why would a person who is a PR in Canada, who has been here for 5+ years (some 30+ years) not want to become a Canadian citizen after they made the choice to live here, settle, set up home, job, kids etc?
Answered several times before.
There's no need.
I live here because I happened to meet a Canadian and married her. No other reason.
For me there is no advantage - ease of travel to the USA? I'm not going and if I did what's an extra few minutes?; I'd like to be able to vote, but there's nobody I want to vote for; I'm not likely to seek employment in the kind of role that Citizenship would be needed.

In the event I travel abroad, my PR card gets me back in. In the event I travel to the UK, my UK passport gets me in more easily than a Canadian one. My EU passport currently has advantages for the EU.

As mentioned above, there's little difference between maintaining/renewing UK passport and PR card as opposed to UK Passport and Canadian Passport.

I'm never coming close to complicating meeting the residency requirements.
I've never had to swear an oath to the Queen in 30+ years as a UK Civil Servant, why the hell should I have to do so to become a Canadian citizen?

Any UK citizen who does not get dual citizenship is an IDIOT in my opinion.
Your opinion is appreciated.

Signed, an idiot.

Old Dec 17th 2016, 3:08 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

So, Bristol, you aren't going to appreciate my surprise Christmas present to you then -"Become a Canuck, why the bloody hell wouldn't you? Citizenship pack"
Old Dec 17th 2016, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

For citizens of some countries, who are Permanent Residents, taking Canadian citizenship would mean giving up their other citizenship as some countries do not allow dual citizenship. This does not apply to Brits but there are many countries with this rule. PRs in that situation often decide to remain PRs rather than give up their original citizenship.

This happened to my dad in the UK. He held the equivalent of PR in the UK for a long time. He held on to his Indian passport as in order to take British Citizenship he would have had to give his Indian citizenship up. He did eventually do this but it wasn't easy for him.

Some people just don't want to do it even if they can be dual citizens. You have to respect that. Canada does.

S
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
For citizens of some countries, who are Permanent Residents, taking Canadian citizenship would mean giving up their other citizenship as some countries do not allow dual citizenship. This does not apply to Brits but there are many countries with this rule. PRs in that situation often decide to remain PRs rather than give up their original citizenship.

This happened to my dad in the UK. He held the equivalent of PR in the UK for a long time. He held on to his Indian passport as in order to take British Citizenship he would have had to give his Indian citizenship up. He did eventually do this but it wasn't easy for him.

Some people just don't want to do it even if they can be dual citizens. You have to respect that. Canada does.

S
For those who would have to give up citizenship of their previous country I agree with them in not taking out Canadian citizenship and remaining PR's.
Those who allow dual citizenship then its my opinion that they should take out citizenship for the reasons of not being able to be deported if only a PR.

As we have seen life can change in an instant. Im not suggesting BristolUK is going to turn into a criminal but imagine this scenario.
A PR is at a house party along with a bunch of friends. The PR has driven to the party and has a couple of drinks thinking they will be ok as they are being responsible. They offer to drive another friend home who has had a few to many.
They are not familiar with the area and its very dark. Driving within the speed limit they have an accident with a cyclist who was wearing dark clothing and no lights. the police attend and the PR is breathalyzed and to their shock and horror they fail. Off to the police station and given the breath test and their BAC is found to be .95. Charged with section 253(1)(b) of the Criminal Code.
Punishment under section 255(2.1) which reads as following

Blood alcohol level over legal limit — bodily harm

(2.1) Everyone who, while committing an offence under paragraph 253(1)(b), causes an accident resulting in bodily harm to another person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years

PR pleads guilty and receives a fine in court and banned from driving for 12 months which is a pretty standard punishment for anyone unless you are only a PR as now you COULD if reported by CBSA face the possibility of being DEPORTED for that offence.
Criminal activity that most think NO it wouldn't apply to them.

Definitely a scenario that has happened and the PR has ended up getting deported.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Dec 17th 2016 at 9:04 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Im not suggesting BristolUK is going to turn into a criminal but...
Nor am I a driver. I couldn't even get a car going sober let alone drunk.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I know Bristol and I respect what you're saying. Logically there's no issue. You're a law abiding PR who never leaves Canada. I know people like you (Americans actually in addition to JSmith) and Canadian citizenship is just not on their radar. But you're always better off as a citizen even if you don't get the passport because you you won't travel. For me it's the psychological aspect of "better off" that's important. Since becoming a PR I realize now why my dad was reluctant to go on trips outside the UK. He was probably worried they might not let him back despite being married to my mother, owning a house, me etc.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 18th 2016 at 4:11 am.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 5:04 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Snowy560
...You're a law abiding PR who never leaves Canada...
Hoping that changes next year albeit once for a couple of weeks won't change much.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 5:23 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping that changes next year albeit once for a couple of weeks won't change much.
Phew- a holiday.... I was worried that your two week car jacking plan was coming to fruition
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:07 am
Dichotomus tinker

which brings me to folks that renounce their Canadian citizenship & yet are allowed to continue to reside in Canada, as 'temporary residents'on a rolling resident permit, or are they, depending who they are?

Conrad Black the convicted criminal, a British citizen that renounced his Canadian citizenship, who apparently resides in Toronto.

So, anyone it seems can basically renounce Canadian citizenship or PR status & continue to live in Canada indefinitely... so it seems

If FL could weigh in on this, how does this one work?
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

Why would a person who is a PR in Canada, who has been here for 5+ years (some 30+ years) not want to become a Canadian citizen after they made the choice to live here, settle, set up home, job, kids,

some of us never got a round tuit, or took a long time to do so.

Bristol, Snowy, JS covered other points I would have made.

I can think of a couple or three Brits/French who have 50+ years here and are quite happy as PRs.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a license, but I rarely drive. Driving is too stressful in Canada...lol

I have driven maybe once in the last 3 months and I don't drink.

But I suppose any type of car accident could result in charges, Canada seems more eager to charge drivers in accidents vs California which makes me extra worried about driving.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 18th 2016 at 10:32 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.