Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Job offer for peterbilt via JPM solutions agency, help & advice please and visa info

Job offer for peterbilt via JPM solutions agency, help & advice please and visa info

Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

engineeringman1513 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer for peterbilt via JPM solutions agency, help & advice please and visa info

Hi, I've recently been successful in being shortlisted for a peterbilt mechanic job in Saskatchewan (not sure on which part) and have a face to face interview in September. I am hoping I will get the job as I have a few advantages. The recruitment company is JPM Solutions, has anyone ever had any experience with this company?
Also, my girlfriend of 5 years will be coming with me and at first this was a problem due to us either not being married or not living together. We was in the process of applying for a mortgage for a house in the UK then this job came up so we put it on hold. Then the guy at the JPM who we've been in contact with said he didn't want us to give up as I was a perfect candidate and that I would have a 2 year working visa and that my girlfriend would get a 2 years visitors visa and can apply for a permanent one in the meantime.
Does all this sound right? I've done my research on the internet but I always think asking on a forum like this helps out a lot and speaking to people who may have been in the same situation.

Thanks, any advice would be greatful.
Tom
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer for peterbilt via JPM solutions agency, help & advice please and visa i

Originally Posted by engineeringman1513
that my girlfriend would get a 2 years visitors visa and can apply for a permanent one in the meantime.
Does all this sound right?
Nope, that's not remotely right! Your gf would only get up to six months as a visitor (note the 'up to', it might be less), and there's no guarantee she could stay longer although she could apply to extend her stay. She'd also have no automatic route to apply for Permanent Residency so it sounds to me like he's trying to make it sound a lot easier than it will actually be for her to stay longer term! Plus of course, even if she can find a way to apply for PR quite quickly, it would still be a while before she's able to work, is she ok with that? What does she do?

If you want her to go as a dependent on your visa application then it sounds like you'd need to get married, alternatively she'll need to look in to obtaining a visa on her own merits.

HTH.

P.S. For future ref, your posts would be much easier to read in a smaller font - there's not really any need to alter the one the forum gives you automatically.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

engineeringman1513 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer for peterbilt via JPM solutions agency, help & advice please and visa i

Ok thanks. She's an Level 3 advanced hairdresser. Once I find out if I get the job she will just apply for whatever's best. Or we're off to Vegas in 4 week, might just get marriage over and done with out there, make it a lot more straight forward LOL.
Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by engineeringman1513
Ok thanks. She's an Level 3 advanced hairdresser. Once I find out if I get the job she will just apply for whatever's best. Or we're off to Vegas in 4 week, might just get marriage over and done with out there, make it a lot more straight forward LOL.
Thanks a lot.
Unfortunately, the only option she will have (unless you are married) is a visitors visa for up to 6 months and hope that they will allow her to extend it.

Hairdressers require certification in quite a few Provinces, so she may not be able to work as one unless she can get her qualifications recognised.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...atedOccupation
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Also I am not certain you would be certain to get two years yourself. When we came over the company asked for two years on the LMO but the immigration official would only give us one year as I had not passed the red seal exam. Since that time I have passed the red seal for heavy duty equipment off road and we have extended our visas. You may want to check out what visa you may get depending on your qualifications.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Also even though we are married my wife and kids only got Visitor Permits for a year and she only got a Spousal Work Permit once I had passed the exam