Job Description question

Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

shreky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Description question

Hi to one and all.

New to all this and just registered with the site.
Finally decided to TRY and immigrate to Canada.
Weve yet to fill the forms out, which should take place within the next couple of days.
We think the best route ( for us ) is to try and get a job offer rather than just relying on points alone.
I am struggleing a little to actually locate MY particular type of job expertise out there . I have a feeling its called something different to here in the UK.
I am currantly a Sales Director for a Hydraulic company ( quite specialized ) but cannot seem to locate it on any list. Even under engineering it is not listed.
Could anybody put me on the right track as where i could start looking please.
It is more selling the equipment over the phone rather than " on site technician".
Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Shreky
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:00 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Description question

Originally Posted by shreky
Hi to one and all.

Weve yet to fill the forms out, which should take place within the next couple of days.
We think the best route ( for us ) is to try and get a job offer rather than just relying on points alone.
I am struggleing a little to actually locate MY particular type of job expertise out there . I have a feeling its called something different to here in the UK.
I am currantly a Sales Director for a Hydraulic company ( quite specialized ) but cannot seem to locate it on any list. Even under engineering it is not listed.
It is more selling the equipment over the phone rather than " on site technician".

Many thanks

Shreky
If your occupation is not on THE LIST of the 29 occupations in demand in Canada then you will need pre-approved employment. This entails finding an employer willing to apply to the Canadian Government for permission to hire you. It will not be easy.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to one and all.

Many thanks

Shreky
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

As Auld Yin has said, you cannot apply without a job offer anyway - there is no 'relying on points alone' option. You either need a job in the list of 29 eligible occupations (your current one is not among them), or a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify as a FSW.

So, from what you've said, unless your partner/spouse has experience in a job on 'the list', you'll need to (a) find an job offer; (b) convince the employer to go through the hassle/paperwork/wait of hiring you and applying for your LMO/AEO; (c) get a positive LMO/AEO; and (d) either have a very patient employer prepared to wait a couple of years for you to be able to start work if you are going down the AEO route, or go over on a Temp Work Permit first if you are going down the LMO route (note that a TWP ties you to that one employer so isn't terribly secure - you'll want to appy for PR as soon as you can after starting work in Canada).

One last thing, don't bother filling out the forms 'in the next couple of days'. By the time you've got a job offer, your LMO/AEO, taken your IELTS exam, ordered your police certs, got all your employment references, proof of funds, documents together etc, you're looking at a minimum of 6 months, and the forms may well have changed by then. So just wait until you're ready to apply, and then do them - they won't take long anyway, and things like your IELTS results will take at least a couple of months to obtain, so you can just do them whilst you're waiting for all your documents.

HTH clarifies it for you, and shout if you have any other questions. The Wiki (follow the link in my signature) is full of useful info that will hopefully explain it all for you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 17th 2011 at 10:15 am.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

shreky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, i have a Job offer from a company in Calgary and they are fast tracking my papers through the system as they want me within 4 months, can my partner come with me and work or does she need her OWN visa / work permit ??
Many thanks
Shreky
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, i have a Job offer from a company in Calgary and they are fast tracking my papers through the system as they want me within 4 months, can my partner come with me and work or does she need her OWN visa / work permit ??
Many thanks
Shreky
No idea what 'fast tracking' your papers mean (no way for them to do that), but your partner may be able to work, depending on the job you will be doing, and also what you mean by 'partner' - have you lived together for a year or more?

If you can clarify, somebody can try and help. Maybe this time you'll even come back to the thread and say thanks to those that took the time to reply to your questions.