Inland Spousal Application

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Quincy1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inland Spousal Application

Hi,

I'm due to get married this Summer, my fiancee lives in Canada and has PR, but I currently live and work in Ireland. We were told by an immigration lawyer (casually, not formally - they are an acquaintance) that after our marriage I could go to Canada on a visitor visa, then apply for an inland spousal application, which will enable me to get a work permit in about four months.

I've seen contradictory information online which seems to say that I cannot. Can someone please help?

I can afford to live for about 6 months without work but after that I don't want to put the burden on my wife to be the sole earner. Applying for an outland visa could possibly mean I wait and work in Europe while it's processed but we obviously don't want to spend the first 12 months or so of our marriage apart. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland Spousal Application

You can't really move on a visitor visa and *then* apply for PR, as you're likely to be refused entry if you try. Spousal Sponsorship is dual intent (see the Wiki for more info), meaning that once you've applied you'll allowed to stay in Canada as a visitor until your PR is granted or refused (hopefully the former!).

So plenty of people do move to Canada before they get PR as a spouse, but they wait until they've applied and until they've got to sponsor approval before they do so. Then they turn up at the airport, show proof of their sponsor approval and PR app in the works, and enter that way (often being given up to 12 months as a visitor instead of the standard 6).

In case you haven't already discovered it, there is an amazing FAQ and Wiki articles about spousal sponsorship which would be well worth a read, and there's also a spreadsheet showing processing times (it shouldn't take 12 months if you apply outland).

HTH, good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Quincy1999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Oompa.
Old May 2nd 2015, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

williamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the application to sponsor (spousal ) and the sponsored spouse's application are both submitted at the same time in the same envelope ?
Old May 2nd 2015, 11:37 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

They are, why do you think they're not?