Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Include my Canadian girlfriend on my Application?

Include my Canadian girlfriend on my Application?

Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Timmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Include my Canadian girlfriend on my Application?

Hi,

I've finally collected all my documents in order to apply for PR as a Skilled Worker. I'm just wondering how/if I need to mention my Canadian girlfriend of 10 months. We have been living together in NZ and Canada and are about to go to NZ for another 6 months.

Yes, I realise that CommonLaw is quicker, however there's no gaurantee that we will be together forever and I qualify on my own. If applying through Sydney as an Independent takes about 7-12months and if applying Common Law takes about 6 months, plus 2 more moths wait until we have been together for 12 months, then the wait times aren't that different.

So in the Application for PR, questions 9 and 10 (also in Schedule 3, question 9), do I include my g/f as Common Law? I guess not YET as we have been living together for 10 months. Then, after 2 more months, should I update CIC in Sydney that we are now officially Common Law and she is Canadian? Then I'd get additional points eh?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Include my Canadian girlfriend on my Application?

uummm anyone?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:55 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sort of lost on this one too. Why would you want to put her on your application? She is Canadian so doesn't need carrying by you and you will surely want to have the PR granted for you alone without her giving you extra points, especially as you are already thinking that you may not be together forever.........
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, we've been together for more than a year, however I'm still applying through Skilled Worker.

I'm still not sure if I include her on Schedule 3 Q9 (and ApPlication for PR) as my accompaning Common Law partner......yes, she is coming with me, but she is Canadian so she is not part of my application....help!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:41 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmo
Okay, we've been together for more than a year, however I'm still applying through Skilled Worker.

I'm still not sure if I include her on Schedule 3 Q9 (and ApPlication for PR) as my accompaning Common Law partner......yes, she is coming with me, but she is Canadian so she is not part of my application....help!
Your Canadian girl friend should not appear on your application forms. She does not need a visa to enter Canada. If she is your common-law partner of at least one year she could sponsor you and speed the process considerably.