Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Inadmissable because of minor reprimand and a PND?

Inadmissable because of minor reprimand and a PND?

Old Dec 27th 2016, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

DevNinja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inadmissable because of minor reprimand and a PND?

I got a reprimand 10 years ago when I was a minor for possession of cannabis, and more recently, 2.5 years ago I was arrested and released with only a penalty notice for disorder (no admission of guilt).

From what I have read I think I am admissible but it is hard to be sure.

The closest thing I can find in Canadian law to a penalty notice for disorder is "Causing disturbance, indecent exhibition, loitering, etc." which is a summary offence, just like possession of cannabis.

The equivalent of two summary offences apparently deems you inadmissible, though I am thinking that because I was a minor for one of them, I am not considered guilty of the other, and have no actual convictions then I will be ok.

Can anyone corroborate this?
Old Dec 27th 2016, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inadmissable because of minor reprimand and a PND?

If you were under 18 for your first offence then CIC/CBSA won't use it for assessing inadmissibility although it should be disclosed on any application.

Causing a Disturbance under section 175(1)(a)(i) is a summary offence only.
IMHO you are not inadmissible.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that's good news.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

I have received my subject access, and it doesn't give much info in the offence description for the PND - 4 words "being drunk and disorderly". Should I write in a letter of explanation detailing what happened?
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevNinja
I have received my subject access, and it doesn't give much info in the offence description for the PND - 4 words "being drunk and disorderly". Should I write in a letter of explanation detailing what happened?
You can as CIC might request more information at a later date.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Ok, but is it a good idea? Might it increase the chance of CIC not asking for more information and so make my application go quicker?

Last edited by DevNinja; Dec 30th 2016 at 11:07 pm.