Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IMPORTANT about IMM 1000 and PR Card -- Fresh from Immigration Manual

Wikiposts

IMPORTANT about IMM 1000 and PR Card -- Fresh from Immigration Manual

Old Jul 12th 2002, 8:20 am
Ashley Watson

Default Re: Commonwealth residents and visa-free entry.....about to end?

So does this mean that, even if I'm a Commonwealth citizen with PR of Canada on the
visa waiver program for the US. I will have to fill out the I94W form pay the fee
etc? ie. that means spending at least a good 10 mins at the border where as before
you had a reasonable chance of staying in your car. Like last week when I crossed the
border I wasnt even asked for ID, and we were waved through after answering 2
questions.

It would be better would it not that Visa waiver citizens with PR of Canada receive
the same treatment as before. ie. no paperwork to fill
in. I dont cross the border frequently but when I have done its usually been for a
matter of hours spent in the US. It means that any trips such as the weekend
camping I spent last week will make me think twice about going to the US as it
will not be worth the hassel.

Ashley Watson

"Stephen C. Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] ogers.com>...
    > > Visa Exemption for Commonwealth Residents of Canada According to Antoinette
    > > Marwitz, the new U.S. Consul General in Toronto, the State Department is planning
    > > to change its regulations at 22 CFR 41.2(b) to require "aliens resident in
    > > Canada.having a common nationality with nationals of Canada" to obtain
    > > nonimmigrant visas to enter the United States. These individuals, who are
    > > citizens of British Commonwealth countries, are currently exempt from the
    > > nonimmigrant visa requirements, as well as from passport requirements if they are
    > > entering the U.S. from a Western Hemisphere country. Presumably, the passport
    > > exemption also would be eliminated, as would the exemption for such nationals
    > > resident in Bermuda.
    >
    > It should be noted if this is implemented, that visitor visas will still not be
    > required by SOME Commonwealth citizens, because citizens of certain countries can
    > visit the US without a visa under the US visa waiver program. You do not have to be
    > a PR of Canada to use the visa waiver.
    >
    > But note, the entry terms are different for a visa waiver entrant. Maximum entry is
    > 90 days (if granted that much) and, for the most part, entry can't be extended.
    > Also, a visa waiver entrant must complete an I-94W form at the port of entry.
    > Additionally, if entering at a land border crossing, you have to pay an immigration
    > processing fee, to be issued your I-94W, and you are supposed to surrender your
    > I-94W when leaving the US (to Canadian officials). This is something that
    > Commonwealth citizens residing in Canada have not had to do.
    >
    > Citizens of the countries listed below (some of which are Commonwealth countries)
    > can enter the US without a visa, ]under the visa waiver:
    >
    > Andorra, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany,
    > Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands,
    > New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden,
    > Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Uruguay.
    >
    > Stephen Gallagher

Old Jul 12th 2002, 10:20 am
Andrew Miller

Default Re: IMPORTANT about IMM 1000 and PR Card -- Fresh from Immigration Manual

Alex,

Yes, you may purchase is when it is available for sale to the public from CIC
Distribution Services, Communications Branch.

Or you may see bits and pieces of it on CIC website (not always up to date).

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"Alex Oren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:52:56 GMT, Andrew Miller wrote in
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > > As I was stating all the time - many issues cannot be for sure answered
just on
    > > the basis of the IRPA and it's Regulations text. Now we are slowly getting access
    > > to Immigration Manual and more things should be clearer. We still
don't
    > > have a final and full version of Manual, all we have for now are just bits
and
    > > pieces, but in some matters it is enough to make a more informed opinion.
It
    > > probably gonna take couple months at best until all is published and Operational
    > > Memoranda will start taking care of matters not clearly covered
by
    > > IRPA, regulations and Manual.
    >
    > Can mere mortals like myself get a hold of the manual? How? (Yes, I know, I lack
    > the knowledge and the training, but still...)
    >
    >
    > Best regards, Alex.
    >
    > --
    > To email me, replace "myrealbox" with "alexoren". Sorry for the inconvenience.
    > Blame the spammers.

Old Jul 12th 2002, 11:20 pm
Stephen C. Gall

> So does this mean that, even if I'm a Commonwealth citizen with PR of Canada on the
    > visa waiver program for the US. I will have to fill out the I94W form pay the fee
    > etc? ie. that means spending at least a good 10 mins at the border where as before
    > you had a reasonable chance of staying in your car.

It would appear so. If you enter under the visa waiver then, at the border, you would
have to park your car, go inside to complete an I-94W and pay the fee.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Jul 13th 2002, 10:20 am
Vladimir Menkov

Default Re: IMPORTANT about IMM 1000 and PR Card -- Fresh from Immigration Manual

In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Miller
<millercitelus.net> wrote:
    >Just ask many cab drivers, dishwashers (enter one of many other jobs here) in major
    >US cities if they have H1 visas...

And just how many of those also have a right of legal residence and work in Canada?
It is very hard for me to believe that there is a siginificant number of people who
would choose to do low-wage work in the USA illegally while they could legally do
anything they want in Canada: at worst, one can take a similar low-wage job, but s/he
can also look for a better job or education. Do they go to drive cabs in New York or
pick tomatoes in California just because they want to live dangerously?

While after-tax wages in Canada are lower than in the USA, I would think that the
social "safety net" here in Canada (whatever it is -- child benefits, inexpensive
education) compensates for that by and large for a low-income worker.

>Why do you think for as long as this newsgroup exists almost every day we see
    >questions related to visa free entry to US for Commonwealth citizens who are
    >Canadian PR? Why we see so many questions like "I will be landing in Canada as a PR
    >in few weeks and am a citizen of India (enter any other country here) and want to
    >visit my relatives in US for few weeks after landing, will I have problems on US
    >border?"...

People consider the ability to travel to the States fairly freely -- for recreation,
visiting friends and relatives, looking for a legal job -- as an important perk of
Canadian citizenship; and if the US law and/or practice also extends it, to a
greater or lesser extent [1], to Canadian permanent residents, who can fail them
just for that?

[Note 1]: While only the Commonwealth citizens residing in Canada benefit from the
visa-free entry, other Canadian permanent residents also often find obtaining a US
visitor visa less expensive and more hassle-free than it would be if they lived
elsewhere.

Vladimir Meñkov, in Penticton, BC. (http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~vmenkov)

"Anyone who is knowledgeable and skilled at butchering can be trained in six months
to perform many surgical operations, but only surgeons know that, and they aren't
telling". (Gene Logsdon, "Organic Orcharding", 1981).

Old Jul 13th 2002, 7:20 pm
Mahabhenki

No change in rules as of now

Everything is the same and you have to do nothing special as of today
. A couple of my friends crossed and came to my place in US for a party. Nothing was
asked at the border...

Take care

Old Jul 19th 2002, 3:20 am
Jaj

Out of interest, how much is the visa waiver fee on the CDN/US land border?

Jeremy

>On 12 Jul 2002 12:55:04 -0700, [email protected] (Ashley Watson) wrote: So
    >does this mean that, even if I'm a Commonwealth citizen with PR of Canada on the
    >visa waiver program for the US. I will have to fill out the I94W form pay the fee
    >etc? ie. that means spending at least a good 10 mins at the border where as before
    >you had a reasonable chance of staying in your car. Like last week when I crossed
    >the border I wasnt even asked for ID, and we were waved through after answering 2
    >questions.
    >
    >It would be better would it not that Visa waiver citizens with PR of Canada receive
    >the same treatment as before. ie. no paperwork to fill
    >in. I dont cross the border frequently but when I have done its usually been for a
    > matter of hours spent in the US. It means that any trips such as the weekend
    > camping I spent last week will make me think twice about going to the US as it
    > will not be worth the hassel.
    >
    >Ashley Watson

Old Jul 19th 2002, 6:20 am
The Wizzard

"JAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Out of interest, how much is the visa waiver fee on the CDN/US land border?
    >
    > Jeremy
    >
No idea, when i crossed over to the US side at Niagra Falls i went through US
immigration (although i dont know why i bothered) and i completely forgot about Visas
cos my (now)wife and her mother were Canadian citizens and just walked through
showing Id and i then had to fill in a visa waiver form and all that. but i wasnt
charged any fee. then i asked him to stamp my passport to add to my stamps in it as
it were as it wasnt stamped on my inbound journey via Newark. this annoyed the guy
and i had to pay $6 (US and i only had Canadian currency on me and he wouldnt accept
it and made me pay by credit card! for 6$.) anyway yes so it cost me in the end $6.
and i only stayed 5 minutes cos it was so much of a mess over the US side.

Old Jul 19th 2002, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Hi Leisure,
Actually you can't just 'board' a commercial carrier flight as I found out recently. It is aparantly the carriers responsibility to check that the customer has a valid right to go to the destination country and if they don't then the cost of getting them back to original port istheirs. No carrier can afford repatriation costs. Simple economics.
Old Jul 20th 2002, 1:20 am
Stephen C. Gall

> Out of interest, how much is the visa waiver fee on the CDN/US land border?
    >
    > Jeremy

Around US$6.00, and they don't accept Canadian currency. I believe that they do
accept credit cards.

It's not a visa waiver fee, but an immigration processing fee. It's payable with a
visa or visa waiver, and is charged for the issuance of an I-94 or I-94W.

Stephen

Old Jul 20th 2002, 1:20 am
Stephen C. Gall

> No idea, when i crossed over to the US side at Niagra Falls i went through US
    > immigration (although i dont know why i bothered) and i completely
forgot
    > about Visas cos my (now)wife and her mother were Canadian citizens and
just
    > walked through showing Id and i then had to fill in a visa waiver form and all
    > that. but i wasnt charged any fee. then i asked him to stamp my
passport
    > to add to my stamps in it as it were as it wasnt stamped on my inbound journey via
    > Newark. this annoyed the guy and i had to pay $6 (US and i
only
    > had Canadian currency on me and he wouldnt accept it and made me pay by credit
    > card! for 6$.) anyway yes so it cost me in the end $6. and i only stayed 5 minutes
    > cos it was so much of a mess over the US side.

Not a bad deal when you consider that it's $48.00 + tax for just one day at
Disneyworld.

Old Jul 20th 2002, 6:20 am
The Wizzard

"Stephen C. Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > No idea, when i crossed over to the US side at Niagra Falls i went
through
    > > US immigration (although i dont know why i bothered) and i completely
    > forgot
    > > about Visas cos my (now)wife and her mother were Canadian citizens and
    > just
    > > walked through showing Id and i then had to fill in a visa waiver form
and
    > > all that. but i wasnt charged any fee. then i asked him to stamp my
    > passport
    > > to add to my stamps in it as it were as it wasnt stamped on my inbound journey
    > > via Newark. this annoyed the guy and i had to pay $6 (US and i
    > only
    > > had Canadian currency on me and he wouldnt accept it and made me pay by credit
    > > card! for 6$.) anyway yes so it cost me in the end $6. and i only stayed 5
    > > minutes cos
it
    > > was so much of a mess over the US side.
    >
    > Not a bad deal when you consider that it's $48.00 + tax for just one day at
    > Disneyworld.
    >
well maybe so, except i paid $6 to go to the US side of niagra falls, so spent 5
minutes there before turning right back to go back to the Canadian side which was
much nicer.

Old Jul 20th 2002, 5:20 pm
Alex Oren

Andrew Miller wrote:

> Alex,
    >
    > Yes, you may purchase is when it is available for sale to the public from CIC
    > Distribution Services, Communications Branch.
    >
    > Or you may see bits and pieces of it on CIC website (not always up to date).

... or I can just wait for you to filter and post all the relevant sections as you
answer the questions on m.i.c

Thanks!

Best regards, Alex.

--
To email me, replace "myrealbox" with "alexoren". Sorry for the inconvenience. Blame
the spammers.

Old Jul 21st 2002, 3:20 am
The Wizzard

if you look at the latest update from CIC on their website, about how far along they
are with implementation (look in the whats new bit) they say that they hope to
publish on line as much of the relevant manual info as they can, but obvuously
updating forms and guide etc is the priority.

Drew

"Alex Oren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Andrew Miller wrote:
    >
    > > Alex,
    > >
    > > Yes, you may purchase is when it is available for sale to the public
from CIC
    > > Distribution Services, Communications Branch.
    > >
    > > Or you may see bits and pieces of it on CIC website (not always up to
date).
    >
    > ... or I can just wait for you to filter and post all the relevant sections as you
    > answer the questions on m.i.c
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    >
    > Best regards, Alex.
    >
    > --
    > To email me, replace "myrealbox" with "alexoren". Sorry for the inconvenience.
    > Blame the spammers.

Old Oct 25th 2002, 5:48 am
Just Joined

redscurpion is an unknown quantity at this point

hello how r u i hope u r fine i wana canadian immigration but i dono what is pr card plz tell me what is this and how is posebal i will got canadian immigration thanks ok tace care se u bye bye my id is [email protected]