Immigration question from SA

Old Jun 14th 2001, 10:34 pm
bc

Hi i'm new 2 this NG and have scanned past messages without seeing anything
applicable 2 my situation, which is as follows: I recently became engaged and hope to
be married in the near future. However, my fiance had lodged her papers for
Independant immigration to Canada b4 we got together. We obviously have discussed
this and r both keen to make a new start there.

Question is: Do we get married now and try and get myself added to her application as
dependant? Will this cause her application to "go to the back of the queue"? or
Should we wait and, assuming her application is approved, apply after she has
obtained PR? Is there a legal requirement to change her status from "Single" to
"Engaged? We would appreciate any advice on this

regards sid36 South Africa

Old Jun 14th 2001, 10:49 pm
Andrew Miller

The best solution would be to get married now and add your application to your
fiancée's case. Depending what stage her application process is on adding you may
delay the process, but it will not restart it.

If you will not add your application now but get married without notifying Embassy
then your fiancée's visa will be invalid as issued to a single person. If you get
married after she gets her visa but before she lands in Canada then her visa will
also be invalid. So, marry her now and submit your papers or wait until she gets her
visa, lands in Canada and starts sponsoring you - about 2+ years delay for you
compared to the getting married now solution.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 17th 2001, 5:09 pm
bc

Thanks to Andre Miller for quick & informative advice on my previous question.

A further question:

I have been previously married & although i have no children of my own, i
did/do have stepchildren from the prev marriage who are now over 18. Would
these count as children for immigration purpose? ie would i have to list
them and submit documentation for them (they will not be accompanying us if
we are accepted)

thanx in advance

>
your
    >
you
    >
    >
    >
    >
person.
    >
then
    >
wait
    >
2+
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi i'm new 2 this NG and have scanned past messages without seeing[/usenetquote2]
anything
[usenetquote2]> > applicable 2 my situation, which is as follows: I recently became engaged and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > hope to be married in the near future. However, my fiance had lodged her papers[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for Independant immigration to Canada b4 we got together. We obviously have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > discussed this and r both keen to make a new start[/usenetquote2]
there.
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Question is: Do we get married now and try and get myself added to her[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > application as dependant? Will this cause her application to "go to the[/usenetquote2]
back
[usenetquote2]> > of the queue"? or Should we wait and, assuming her application is approved,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > apply after[/usenetquote2]
she
[usenetquote2]> > has obtained PR? Is there a legal requirement to change her status from "Single"[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to "Engaged? We would appreciate any advice on this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > regards sid36 South Africa[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 17th 2001, 5:16 pm
Andrew Miller

You should include your stepchildren from the previous marriage as non-accompanying
dependents only if you have legally adopted them.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > The best solution would be to get married now and add your application to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > fiancée's case. Depending what stage her application process is on adding[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > may delay the process, but it will not restart it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If you will not add your application now but get married without notifying[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Embassy then your fiancée's visa will be invalid as issued to a single[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > If you get married after she gets her visa but before she lands in Canada[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > her visa will also be invalid. So, marry her now and submit your papers or[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > until she gets her visa, lands in Canada and starts sponsoring you - about[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > years delay for you compared to the getting married now solution.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending an email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi i'm new 2 this NG and have scanned past messages without seeing[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > applicable 2 my situation, which is as follows: I recently became engaged and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > hope to be married in the near future. However, my fiance had lodged her papers[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for Independant immigration to Canada b4 we got together. We obviously have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > discussed this and r both keen to make a new start[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Question is: Do we get married now and try and get myself added to her[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > application as dependant? Will this cause her application to "go to the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > of the queue"? or Should we wait and, assuming her application is approved,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > apply after[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > has obtained PR? Is there a legal requirement to change her status from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > "Single" to "Engaged? We would appreciate any advice on this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > regards sid36 South Africa[/usenetquote2]