IMM5406 - Dependants

Old May 5th 2015, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default IMM5406 - Dependants

I have read the wiki and other posts, but can't see anything that specifically addresses this question.

I am Canadian by birth and live in the UK. I am sponsoring my 2nd wife for permanent residence for us both (of course!) to move to Canada when I retire.

On IMM5406, it talks about additional dependants (in this case for my wife). She is an only child and has no children. She is of course technically a step-mother for both my 'children' from my first marriage. The 'kids' are 26 and 28 respectively and completely financially independent (and neither have any plans to move back to Canada).

Question is, does my wife have to do separate IMM5406 forms for each of her step-children?

Does it make any difference that when they were born, I registered them both for Canadian citizenship, and one of them already has a (lapsed) Canadian passport (so could easily move to Canada in their own right should they choose to do so)?
Old May 5th 2015, 2:12 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMM5406 - Dependants

First, read this: Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ : British Expat Wiki

For any "outstanding" children, I think stepchildren are only included if they have been formally adopted, though I'm not certain on that.

But if all kids in question are Canadian, then the above link applies.
Old May 5th 2015, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks very much.

I think my wife should name them as step-children, then add an appendix explaining that while technically they are step-children by virtue of our marriage, that is as far as it goes, that they are in no way dependant and that both were registered by me on their birth and have Canadian / UK dual citizenship.
Old May 5th 2015, 2:26 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read the link?

If they are Canadian, then they do not have to be included. They are Canadians.
Old May 5th 2015, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I did read the link.

Just confused me that they seemed to be want the details on IMM5406 but not on IMM0008 is all!
Old May 5th 2015, 6:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Did you read the link?

If they are Canadian, then they do not have to be included. They are Canadians.
1. Note the OP is asking about the IMM 5406, Citizen relatives are included there.

2. As per the instructions:

"SECTION B

Write the personal details for your children. It is very important that you list all of your children (even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada). This includes:

married children,
adopted children,
children of your spouse(step-children) or common-law partner,
any of your children who have been adopted by others,
any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, former common-law partner or other guardian.

You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, answer “N/A”.
Old May 5th 2015, 6:28 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Note the OP is asking about the IMM 5406, Citizen relatives are included there.

2. As per the instructions:

"SECTION B

Write the personal details for your children. It is very important that you list all of your children (even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada). This includes:

married children,
adopted children,
children of your spouse(step-children) or common-law partner,
any of your children who have been adopted by others,
any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, former common-law partner or other guardian.

You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, answer “N/A”.
Ah ok, thank you - I had the wrong form in my head. Of course it appears if OP had read those same instructions... it would be clear...
Old May 6th 2015, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it was confusing me that they specifically HAD to be mentioned in IMM5406 but then specifcally NOT mentioned in IMM0008....

Yep - definitely got the 'n/a' thing, thanks.

But hey - who said these forms had to make sense when viewed as a whole.....
Old May 6th 2015, 6:09 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yes, it was confusing me that they specifically HAD to be mentioned in IMM5406 but then specifcally NOT mentioned in IMM0008....

Yep - definitely got the 'n/a' thing, thanks.

But hey - who said these forms had to make sense when viewed as a whole.....
1. Remember it is a generic form and is used for every Immigration application, so it really can't be tailored for each situation.