IMM1295E TWP Question

Old May 28th 2013, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

JosefK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IMM1295E TWP Question

Further to my previous post, my future employer recommended I do the application in the UK rather than at a POE.

I am filling in the paperwork now according to the checklist from the application kit here:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...s_travail.aspx

The main application form (IMM1295E) has as the first question in the "Details of Intended Work in Canada" the following:

1. What type of work permit are you applying for?
This gives a dropdown box on the interactive .pdf with the possible answers:

Open Work Permit
Seasonal Agricultural Work Program
Live-in Caregiver Program
Other
International Experience Canada (International Co-op)
International Experience Canada (Other)
International Experience Canada (Working Holiday)
International Experience Canada (Young Professionals Program)
Now, it was my thinking that because I have a letter from my employer etc. already that I am going for a bog-standard "Temporary Work Permit" that is distinct from an "Open Work Permit". In which case, does that mean my correct response there is "Other"? I would think Temporary Work Permits are the most frequent thing applied for on that list, it is baffling that they wouldn't be an option on the form?

This is the face this whole process makes me pull.

Frequently.
Old May 28th 2013, 1:30 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMM1295E TWP Question

Originally Posted by JosefK
Further to my previous post, my future employer recommended I do the application in the UK rather than at a POE.

I am filling in the paperwork now according to the checklist from the application kit here:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...s_travail.aspx

The main application form (IMM1295E) has as the first question in the "Details of Intended Work in Canada" the following:

This gives a dropdown box on the interactive .pdf with the possible answers:

Now, it was my thinking that because I have a letter from my employer etc. already that I am going for a bog-standard "Temporary Work Permit" that is distinct from an "Open Work Permit". In which case, does that mean my correct response there is "Other"? I would think Temporary Work Permits are the most frequent thing applied for on that list, it is baffling that they wouldn't be an option on the form?

This is the face this whole process makes me pull.

Frequently.
Why are they recommending you do NOT apply at POE? Do you need a medical or are a non UK citizen?
Old May 28th 2013, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Why are they recommending you do NOT apply at POE? Do you need a medical or are a non UK citizen?
No, I suggested to them that I should be eligible to apply at POE but they are asking me to get it sorted in the UK first. They are paying my travel expenses so I imagine that is the reason why they would prefer that I am cautious (and a good reason for me to go along with what they tell me to do).
Old May 28th 2013, 4:04 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

No, I suggested to them that I should be eligible to apply at POE but they are asking me to get it sorted in the UK first. They are paying my travel expenses so I imagine that is the reason why they would prefer that I am cautious (and a good reason for me to go along with what they tell me to do).
Seems a waste of everyones time TBH but there you go.

In answer to your initial question - Other is the answer and yes it is daft.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Seems a waste of everyones time TBH but there you go.

In answer to your initial question - Other is the answer and yes it is daft.
Unbelievable.

BTW, applying at POE would only save me maybe two weeks (because if I was going to gamble on that I would wait until after I had graduated in order to turn up with shiny diploma rather than a letter promising that a diploma will exist).
Old May 28th 2013, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, applying at POE would only save me maybe two weeks
TWP via London is taking around 10 weeks at the moment, so it would save you 10 weeks surely?
Old May 28th 2013, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
TWP via London is taking around 10 weeks at the moment, so it would save you 10 weeks surely?
Only if I were to leave immediately rather than waiting until after I get my diploma in July. As I said above, for postdoctoral research fellow positions they sometimes require a diploma, other times they are happy with a letter from the university stating that the applicant has a PhD. It seems to be about 50:50 which are not the odds I want to take to the border with me.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

I have a further question here. The application form asks for 10 years of employment history. Mine is pretty easy except that I may have to go onto another page (4 jobs in the last 10 years) and the one job on the next page was so long ago (a part time job I had in college) that I cannot remember when I started and finished it. If all I am trying to demonstrate there are my qualifications for the work I am coming to do then that job is also completely irrelevant, however I am not sure of what the function of that section really is (whether it is supposed to be a complete history of what I have done in the last 10 years - in that case I should really be putting school on there too!). I actually phoned the VAC folks last week who told me to just put what I wanted in that section (which made me do this face ). Can that be right?