I'm here now! My POE WP story!

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

lilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the rough
Default I'm here now! My POE WP story!

Finally we made it in one piece to Canmore!

We arrived in Calgary last Friday with my son who is 14. After reading all kinds of stories about Immigration I was a bit anxious about getting my Work Permit on arrival here. Really I was more worried about getting an IO who was grouchy rather than normal.

So, we were called over to a desk and I said that I have my LMO and need a WP. In my head I could hear him saying "I don't have a clue what you're talking about, go home" but he just asked for the LMO and my job offer. Then, as my son has a different surname to me, he asked if I had a court order stating that I could bring my son with me to Canada which I had ... phew. These were the only papers that he wanted to see. He didn't ask for photos.

He then asked me a few questions about my job and where I planned on living. I said that I'd be living with my boyfriend and he said that's fine.

He then he turned to my son who has very mild autism and almost died with shock, he was asked him where his father was born. This is where things got a but intense as my ex has a Canadian mother and my son was a bit muddled about of all of this. With me explaining a bit we got through it. By this time I was so red in the face and stressed I thought I must have looked so guilty that it made me redder!

Then the atmosphere changed and the grilling part was over! Such a relief! He started tapping in information for the permit and chatting a bit about how wonderful Canmore is, which I already knew, and suggesting his favourite hikes etc. He said that we're going to have a great life there. He even said that he occasionally pops into the coffee shop where I'll be working, I said I'll look forward to it! geez...lol. Then he issued my son a permit to attend any grade school but he isn't able to do any work. I'd read about this here so it wasn't a surprise.

So that was about it. We went to another counter to pay the $150, I paid in cash although they take Visa etc. We then grabbed our luggage and just about ran out of there, permit in hand, to meet up with my boyfriend who made us stop at the exit for photos. Everyone must have thought that we were mad but I was just so relieved and happy!

Yesterday I went to Service Canada and got my SI number, no probs. and we registered my son for High School.

I was a bit surprised that I had to pay $310 for classes etc. I hadn't read anything about that here before. But it all worked out great and he got all the classes that he wanted. The councellor put him in classes with the nicest teachers which was nice.

So, I've just dropped him at school and I feel a bit lost. It's nice to have a morning home alone now though. I think that I'll sit and drink coffee and watch tv!

Sorry for such a long post, I hope that it helps others though. I know that reading other peoples stories on here prepared me well for it.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I'm here now! My POE WP story!

Originally Posted by lilbiteb
Finally we made it in one piece to Canmore!

We arrived in Calgary last Friday with my son who is 14. After reading all kinds of stories about Immigration I was a bit anxious about getting my Work Permit on arrival here. Really I was more worried about getting an IO who was grouchy rather than normal.

So, we were called over to a desk and I said that I have my LMO and need a WP. In my head I could hear him saying "I don't have a clue what you're talking about, go home" but he just asked for the LMO and my job offer. Then, as my son has a different surname to me, he asked if I had a court order stating that I could bring my son with me to Canada which I had ... phew. These were the only papers that he wanted to see. He didn't ask for photos.

He then asked me a few questions about my job and where I planned on living. I said that I'd be living with my boyfriend and he said that's fine.

He then he turned to my son who has very mild autism and almost died with shock, he was asked him where his father was born. This is where things got a but intense as my ex has a Canadian mother and my son was a bit muddled about of all of this. With me explaining a bit we got through it. By this time I was so red in the face and stressed I thought I must have looked so guilty that it made me redder!

Then the atmosphere changed and the grilling part was over! Such a relief! He started tapping in information for the permit and chatting a bit about how wonderful Canmore is, which I already knew, and suggesting his favourite hikes etc. He said that we're going to have a great life there. He even said that he occasionally pops into the coffee shop where I'll be working, I said I'll look forward to it! geez...lol. Then he issued my son a permit to attend any grade school but he isn't able to do any work. I'd read about this here so it wasn't a surprise.

So that was about it. We went to another counter to pay the $150, I paid in cash although they take Visa etc. We then grabbed our luggage and just about ran out of there, permit in hand, to meet up with my boyfriend who made us stop at the exit for photos. Everyone must have thought that we were mad but I was just so relieved and happy!

Yesterday I went to Service Canada and got my SI number, no probs. and we registered my son for High School.

I was a bit surprised that I had to pay $310 for classes etc. I hadn't read anything about that here before. But it all worked out great and he got all the classes that he wanted. The councellor put him in classes with the nicest teachers which was nice.

So, I've just dropped him at school and I feel a bit lost. It's nice to have a morning home alone now though. I think that I'll sit and drink coffee and watch tv!

Sorry for such a long post, I hope that it helps others though. I know that reading other peoples stories on here prepared me well for it.
This is a nice story and i hope you are enjoying the last days of the summer and lookig forward to everything.

Congrats and good luck with the rest of the journey..

good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm here now! My POE WP story!

Congratulations and Welcome to Canada
Glad to hear that things turn out smoothly for you in the end.
Wishing you all happiness here
Yoong