Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC Working Visa for Canada w/criminal record

IEC Working Visa for Canada w/criminal record

Old Jan 26th 2014, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Greyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Default IEC Working Visa for Canada w/criminal record

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if some folk would be able to provide me with any experiences they've had or know of regarding the above.

I've gone an applied and paid the fee so I'm not really looking for advice as I'm already beyond the point of no return and if I get knocked back then so be it.

So before I applied I wanted to check to see where I stood. No point, I thought applying for something if it was a dead cert I'd not be eligible for. I checked the CIC website to see it it mentioned if having a criminal record bared you from the scheme. The website is a little "hazy" on this matter mainly covering all the bases by saying you may or may not be eligible.

The thing is, about two years ago I asked the forums advice about just visiting Canada with a criminal record. I was advised to seek out the forms with regards to overcoming criminal inadmissibility. Long story short I filled the forms in and they came back and told me I was no longer inadmissible and told me to keep a hold of the letter - which I've done.

Now with all this in mind does anyone know if this is good enough or is it a no-go even with a minor criminal record.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Working Visa for Canada w/criminal record

Originally Posted by Greyfox
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if some folk would be able to provide me with any experiences they've had or know of regarding the above.

I've gone an applied and paid the fee so I'm not really looking for advice as I'm already beyond the point of no return and if I get knocked back then so be it.

So before I applied I wanted to check to see where I stood. No point, I thought applying for something if it was a dead cert I'd not be eligible for. I checked the CIC website to see it it mentioned if having a criminal record bared you from the scheme. The website is a little "hazy" on this matter mainly covering all the bases by saying you may or may not be eligible.

The thing is, about two years ago I asked the forums advice about just visiting Canada with a criminal record. I was advised to seek out the forms with regards to overcoming criminal inadmissibility. Long story short I filled the forms in and they came back and told me I was no longer inadmissible and told me to keep a hold of the letter - which I've done.

Now with all this in mind does anyone know if this is good enough or is it a no-go even with a minor criminal record.
If CIC gave you a letter saying you are not inadmissible and you have not been convicted of any offences since the letter was sent then IMHO you are not inadmissible and therefore OK to enter Canada. Bring that letter with you if accepted.