IEC IEC IEC...

Old May 22nd 2018, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Whitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond repute
Default IEC IEC IEC...

Greetings folks,

I was enticed by the IEC Working Holiday Visa method of working in Canada and climbing up the ladder!

Note: I am currently in Canada thanks to a study and (co-op) work permit which all will end in march/april 2018.
I also have a job in the study field appropriate for my academic field. I have had a chat with management and they are happy and have confirmed verbally that I will be promoting job roles into a better paying job with the chance of getting offered a year contract for the job too, which I am exstatic about and grateful.

Anyway, before I get emotional, I have a few questions about the IEC and related factors:

When’s the ‘best time’ or ‘open window’ to apply for an IEC?

Is there any work requirments such as a job offer from work?

Is there a certain wage I must have in order to apply for an IEC?

(This ones for those with an IEC or in-depth knowledge of it) -

How long could it take to apply and recieve an IEC from start to finish?

.. sorry for all the questions, I am young, naive and in need of advice, I appreciate any feedback.

Lastly, I hope anyone reading this had an awesome day.

Last edited by Whitehat; May 22nd 2018 at 9:38 am.
Old May 22nd 2018, 9:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC IEC IEC...

The best time is as soon as the program opens, it's a lottery system, so the earlier you get in to the pool the more chances of being drawn and given a visa. The 2019 program will probably open early next year, but there's no fixed date so keep an eye on the website from Autumn onwards.

No job offer required, no minimum wage, and takes about 8 weeks once you've been selected from the pool - but of course as it's a lottery, you could be in that pool for several months before being drawn (or even not be drawn at all).

The FAQ page is well worth reading - International Experience Canada

I assume the 2018 in your post is a typo, and you mean 2019? And just checking, but you don't want to stay in Canada permanently after all? I recall from your previous thread you were looking at a PR app?
Old May 22nd 2018, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Whitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond reputeWhitehat has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I didn’t know it was a lottery draw kind of thing.. and awesome.. I do want to live here permenantly, and yes 2018 was a typo, should be 2019.

I’ve been working in Canada since November 2017 as a Part Time worker (capped to 20hrs max) Because of my study permit.. I can work fulltime from Oct - March/April.. but I don’t think this will give me a full year of Work Experience? So I was thinking of either shutting up and applying for a work permit or this IEC working holiday visa.. i’m confused and unsure of what to do.. and yes, I do want to stay in Canada permenantly..
Old May 22nd 2018, 9:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whitehat
Ah I didn’t know it was a lottery draw kind of thing.. and awesome.. I do want to live here permenantly, and yes 2018 was a typo, should be 2019.

I’ve been working in Canada since November 2017 as a Part Time worker (capped to 20hrs max) Because of my study permit.. I can work fulltime from Oct - March/April.. but I don’t think this will give me a full year of Work Experience? So I was thinking of either shutting up and applying for a work permit or this IEC working holiday visa.. i’m confused and unsure of what to do.. and yes, I do want to stay in Canada permenantly..
In which case, I'd forget the IEC and work on a PR app, if eligible. Once your application is underway, you could then get a Bridging Open Work Permit to tide you over between your current permit ending and getting PR.

As mentioned in your previous thread, there's no requirement to work in Canada for any length of time for most PR apps. So you don't need to work for a year first unless you're not eligible at the moment. What were your scores on the FSW and CRS as per your previous thread?
Old May 22nd 2018, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In which case, I'd forget the IEC and work on a PR app, if eligible. Once your application is underway, you could then get a Bridging Open Work Permit to tide you over between your current permit ending and getting PR.

As mentioned in your previous thread, there's no requirement to work in Canada for any length of time for most PR apps. So you don't need to work for a year first unless you're not eligible at the moment. What were your scores on the FSW and CRS as per your previous thread?
Wow that sounds like exactly what I need; a Bridging Open Work Permit. And my scores are as follows: FSW:79 CRS:537.
Old May 22nd 2018, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Wow that sounds like exactly what I need; a Bridging Open Work Permit. And my scores are as follows: FSW:79 CRS:537.
Note:

The CRS is including my Canadian Study Experience and one year of Canadian Work Experience too.
Old May 22nd 2018, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Your an awesome person though. Your always active on the forum and a very knowledgable individual, thanks again for your quick and informative replies.

I’m planning on meeting with a immigration lawyer just to go over the points we’ve discussed and moreover the Brodging Open Work Permit, and then apply for the PR/Work Permit ASAP..

I’m currently in Vancouver.. I know it’s a long shot but would you know anyone of know of any good, immigration lawyer near my neck of the woods?
Old May 22nd 2018, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Work Experience gained while on a Study Permit can't be used to meet the CEC requirements.:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Does your program/school give you eligibility for a Post graduation work permit?

Edit: I just searched your other thread. Based on what you wrote there and here, I suspect a Post Graduation Work Permit is the way to go provided you are eligible.

Last edited by Snowy560; May 22nd 2018 at 2:34 pm.
Old May 22nd 2018, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Canadian Work Experience gained while on a Study Permit can't be used to meet the CEC requirements.:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Does your program/school give you eligibility for a Post graduation work permit?

Edit: I just searched your other thread. Based on what you wrote there and here, I suspect a Post Graduation Work Permit is the way to go provided you are eligible.
I have tried finding my institution on the post grad authorised institution list but it isn’t there.

I had a chat with management at the school and they told me it’s basically a hit and miss, one person claimed to have got the post grad but most don’t. Hence why my preference to the work/EE route.
Old May 22nd 2018, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Eligibility depends on:

- the school;
- the program.

You can check here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ions-list.html

Select British Columbia from the Drop Down menu, select your institution and refer to the column on the right.
Old May 22nd 2018, 3:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Your an awesome person though. Your always active on the forum and a very knowledgable individual, thanks again for your quick and informative replies.

I’m planning on meeting with a immigration lawyer just to go over the points we’ve discussed and moreover the Brodging Open Work Permit, and then apply for the PR/Work Permit ASAP..

I’m currently in Vancouver.. I know it’s a long shot but would you know anyone of know of any good, immigration lawyer near my neck of the woods?

No need for an immigration lawyer if you don't have a complex background and are capable of reading and filling out forms! You would need to apply for Permanent Residence and I believe obtain Approval In Principal / Acknowledgement of Receipt / Invitation to Apply etc., before you would be able to apply for a bridging open work permit anyway. So that would be your first step!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk-permit.html

Do have a good read on the steps you need to take to apply for PR etc.,

Last edited by Siouxie; May 22nd 2018 at 4:12 pm.
Old May 22nd 2018, 4:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

537 is an incredible CRS score. I'd agree with others on this thread, if you can secure 537 legitimately then IEC would likely be a waste of your time unless you really needed as a plan B.
Old May 22nd 2018, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Eligibility depends on:

- the school;
- the program.

You can check here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ions-list.html

Select British Columbia from the Drop Down menu, select your institution and refer to the column on the right.
Unfortunately, my institute doesn't offer PGWP eligible programmes.. Which makes me want to go ahead with the Bridging Open Work Permit/EE option..
But thanks for the link anyway.
Old May 22nd 2018, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
No need for an immigration lawyer if you don't have a complex background and are capable of reading and filling out forms! You would need to apply for Permanent Residence and I believe obtain Approval In Principal / Acknowledgement of Receipt / Invitation to Apply etc., before you would be able to apply for a bridging open work permit anyway. So that would be your first step!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk-permit.html

Do have a good read on the steps you need to take to apply for PR etc.,

I agree, I did some digging in the forum last night and also found that a lawyer would be necessary only if the applicant has a criminal record/illness etc.. But this being said, I just wanted to get some final advice on the subject to confirm - but I think I may not have to as the link you've provided is very helpful and comprehensive. I will have a nice long read, thanks for the link.
Old May 22nd 2018, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: IEC IEC IEC...

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
537 is an incredible CRS score. I'd agree with others on this thread, if you can secure 537 legitimately then IEC would likely be a waste of your time unless you really needed as a plan B.
That's why I thought i'd get input from the knowledgeable individuals on this forum (they haven't disappointed). Thanks for the input guys; it means a lot. I appreciate every second.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.