I need to go to Canada! Help!

Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need to go to Canada! Help!

Originally Posted by JamesM
I went to Ottawa once for about two hours.

It was enough.

Just to pre-warn you.
Very harsh!

I was born and raised in Toronto, but far prefer Ottawa - going to live there permanently in 2017. I will always of course be a Leaf fan though!

Of course, it is all 'horses for courses' and personal preference and of course precisely WHERE you might live in each respective locale!
Old Oct 4th 2016, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Ottawa earlier this year and really enjoyed myself.

S
Old Oct 5th 2016, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Ottawa in May, loved it. Summers might be a bit humid, but that's a general problem of the north American east.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I was in Ottawa in May, loved it. Summers might be a bit humid, but that's a general problem of the north American east.
Yes, in May, and in October, the weather in Ottawa can be quite pleasant.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

harryg7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

The GFs Gran was born in the UK, which means she could apply for the ancestry visa one day.

But the main reason for going to Canada is that its better money-wise, and she has a shed load of stuff from her old house.

Few questions:

1. What is the best way to monitor the IEC visa availability?

2. What documents do bring when I go to Canada to persuade to officer that I'm good for 6 months and I will be returning at the end of the visa?

Thanks

Harry
Old Oct 6th 2016, 9:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

1. Just keep an eye on the website, it's usually announced in advance (although not always - just to keep you on your toes!). And keep an eye on the IEC thread on here, as somebody will always post on there the moment it opens.
2. Proof of ties to the UK - house, job, etc, plus funds ($10k or so), and good insurance.

HTH.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harryg7
2. What documents do bring when I go to Canada to persuade to officer that I'm good for 6 months and I will be returning at the end of the visa?

Probably obvious, but a return flight ticket....
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

So I've applied for the IEC 2017, and I am going over next week as a tourist, hoping for the 6 month stay.

I'm actually looking to travel, visit different places and do a lot of skiing.

I have a few questions:

1) Do I actually need to book a return flight? Because I don't know where I'll be near the end of my time (Toronto / Vancouver etc.).

2) Money - when proving I have funds, do I actually need to show hard cash or just proof of funds in my account which is in GBP?

P.s. I've got an ETA, medical insurance, blah blah...

Thanks!

Harry
Old Oct 26th 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

So I've applied for the IEC 2017, and I am going over next week as a tourist, hoping for the 6 month stay.

I'm actually looking to travel, visit different places and do a lot of skiing.

I have a few questions:

1) Do I actually need to book a return flight? Because I don't know where I'll be near the end of my time (Toronto / Vancouver etc.).

2) Money - when proving I have funds, do I actually need to show hard cash or just proof of funds in my account which is in GBP?

P.s. I've got an ETA, medical insurance, blah blah...

Thanks!

Harry

1) I would say yes. the immigration officer may be very suspicious that you are coming to visit a gf and have applied for IEC. They may feel like without an return ticket you have no intention of leaving.

If you don't know return dates or locations yet purchase a ticket that can be changed at minimum costs. It can sometimes be more expensive to buy 2 one-way tickets anyway.

2) just proof of funds is fine, although its worth having some Canadian currency on you.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Thought I'd check in and provide an update.

I was very lucky to receive an invitation (IEC - UK pool) on the 19th January, and I submitted all of my documents on the 23rd January, and was approved on January 26th (yay) - the 2/3 months waiting for an invite (not knowing if I was even going to get one at all) was awful!

So, I've been in Canada as a visitor (done lots of skiing and sight seeing) since November 2nd. I plan to return to the UK at the end of April 2017 (before I go past my 6 month visitor allowance).

However, I have a question that I'd like to run by you very helpful people:

1) I don't plan to activate my working visa until I return to Canada in May'17 after a few week visit back in the UK - however, I fancy nipping down the Caribbean for a long weekend in March.. When I come back through the boarder, could I explain this to the officer with proof of my IEC letter? I would basically just rather re-enter Canada for a month as a visitor before returning home.

Thanks all in advance, and apologies if my question comes across as confusing.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thought I'd check in and provide an update.

I was very lucky to receive an invitation (IEC - UK pool) on the 19th January, and I submitted all of my documents on the 23rd January, and was approved on January 26th (yay) - the 2/3 months waiting for an invite (not knowing if I was even going to get one at all) was awful!

So, I've been in Canada as a visitor (done lots of skiing and sight seeing) since November 2nd. I plan to return to the UK at the end of April 2017 (before I go past my 6 month visitor allowance).

However, I have a question that I'd like to run by you very helpful people:

1) I don't plan to activate my working visa until I return to Canada in May'17 after a few week visit back in the UK - however, I fancy nipping down the Caribbean for a long weekend in March.. When I come back through the boarder, could I explain this to the officer with proof of my IEC letter? I would basically just rather re-enter Canada for a month as a visitor before returning home.

Thanks all in advance, and apologies if my question comes across as confusing.
I don't see why you shouldn't especially if you have a ticket booked to the UK showing you would be going back in a month.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

makes sense I suppose, thank you!