Husband on TWP - what do we need?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute
Question Husband on TWP - what do we need?

Hi,

My husband is currently working in Calgary on a TWP, the kids and I intend joining him in July (my kids are 6 and 8). We had been told that all the kids and I needed was a copy of his work permit with our passports. However, I've been reading this forum and the Wiki articles and CIC website and I'm now confused and a bit worried! Much talk about Spousal Work Permits and Temporary Residence Visas

Now, I'm sure the kids and I were not mentioned on my husbands TWP application (that was all handled by his company) and I will not be working in Canada (aside from looking after my dearly beloved and our little darlings, of course ) So do I still need a Spousal Work Permit (not to work!) or a Temporary residence Visa (we're all British passport holders)?

I understand that the kids, in theory don't need a study permit but have read that they are sometimes requested anyway. Does anyone have any recent experience with schools in Calgary?

Hope someone can help - I need to relax (without wine )
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:37 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband on TWP - what do we need?

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Hi,

My husband is currently working in Calgary on a TWP, the kids and I intend joining him in July (my kids are 6 and 8). We had been told that all the kids and I needed was a copy of his work permit with our passports. However, I've been reading this forum and the Wiki articles and CIC website and I'm now confused and a bit worried! Much talk about Spousal Work Permits and Temporary Residence Visas

Now, I'm sure the kids and I were not mentioned on my husbands TWP application (that was all handled by his company) and I will not be working in Canada (aside from looking after my dearly beloved and our little darlings, of course ) So do I still need a Spousal Work Permit (not to work!) or a Temporary residence Visa (we're all British passport holders)?

I understand that the kids, in theory don't need a study permit but have read that they are sometimes requested anyway. Does anyone have any recent experience with schools in Calgary?

Hope someone can help - I need to relax (without wine )

IANAL and this is not advice.

I just cleared immigration to Halifax on Tuesday on TWP. My wife and kids follow in May.

The official told me to send a copy of my TWP to my wife so "[they] would be able to process them easily when they arrive".

My wife and kids were put on my TWP "to make things easier". From what she was saying it seems (to me at least) that you can manage without so long as you are happy produce a few more bits and pieces and answer a few more questions.

I have therefore left my wife with:
- - photocopy of my passport
- - photocopy of my offer letter
- - photocopy of my LMO
- - photocopy of my TWP
- - letter granting transit of my kids to Canada with her

She will also be travelling with:
- - marriage certificate
- - kids brith certificates

I think I have gone a bit OTT but that's just me.
The key thing is the LMO number and TWP number. Belt and braces says you might want to take everything as above.

Note, at Halifax I was told "all children of PRs and TWPs are automatically eligibale for education so no need for study permits".

hope that helps

wbx
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:55 pm
gmb
Forum Regular

gmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wbexpat

Note, at Halifax I was told "all children of PRs and TWPs are automatically eligibale for education so no need for study permits".
That's strange, because on the London CIC website it says:
Note that children between the age of 6 and 16 years old need to apply for an open study permit, as your accompanying dependant, prior to travelling to Canada.
http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/worker/e_worker.htm
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:30 pm
gmb
Forum Regular

gmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDV
I will not be working in Canada (aside from looking after my dearly beloved and our little darlings, of course ) So do I still need a Spousal Work Permit (not to work!) or a Temporary residence Visa (we're all British passport holders)?

My understanding is that you might be allowed to apply for a spousal work permit, but you are not required to (http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/worker/e_spouse.htm) and that you do NOT require temporary residence visas if you are British citizens (http://tinyurl.com/34kymd)
And I think you do require study permits for the kids (http://tinyurl.com/385qyk) unless you plan to homeschool.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbexpat
IANAL and this is not advice.

I just cleared immigration to Halifax on Tuesday on TWP. My wife and kids follow in May.

The official told me to send a copy of my TWP to my wife so "[they] would be able to process them easily when they arrive".

My wife and kids were put on my TWP "to make things easier". From what she was saying it seems (to me at least) that you can manage without so long as you are happy produce a few more bits and pieces and answer a few more questions.

I have therefore left my wife with:
- - photocopy of my passport
- - photocopy of my offer letter
- - photocopy of my LMO
- - photocopy of my TWP
- - letter granting transit of my kids to Canada with her

She will also be travelling with:
- - marriage certificate
- - kids brith certificates

I think I have gone a bit OTT but that's just me.
The key thing is the LMO number and TWP number. Belt and braces says you might want to take everything as above.

hope that helps

wbx
Thanks wbexpat, this has given me some comfort! (I may still have the wine though!)

Regarding the schooling, there still seems to be some conflicing opinions as to actual requirements so if anyone has had experience with Calgary schools for children of people on TWP, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

MrsDV
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

We did apply for study permits at the same time as the work permit, because there was so much conflicting opinion as to whether we would need them and it seemd easier just to pay the money to be on the safe side.

Nobody actually asked for them when we registered them for school (in Foothills, south of Calgary). When we landed at Calgary airport the immigration officer asked if I wanted a spousal open work permit (which we hadn't originally applied for) and so I decided to get one - just in case I decided to work - and we just paid for that and got it there and then.

I am not sure whether it would be possible to do the same with study permits at immigration at the airport though.

I have a feeling that Gryphea was under the impression that she would not need a study permit for her son at school in Calgary. Maybe she will be along to answer your question, or you could perhaps pm her to ask what she did in the end.

Lisa
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
We did apply for study permits at the same time as the work permit, because there was so much conflicting opinion as to whether we would need them and it seemd easier just to pay the money to be on the safe side.

Nobody actually asked for them when we registered them for school (in Foothills, south of Calgary). When we landed at Calgary airport the immigration officer asked if I wanted a spousal open work permit (which we hadn't originally applied for) and so I decided to get one - just in case I decided to work - and we just paid for that and got it there and then.

I am not sure whether it would be possible to do the same with study permits at immigration at the airport though.

I have a feeling that Gryphea was under the impression that she would not need a study permit for her son at school in Calgary. Maybe she will be along to answer your question, or you could perhaps pm her to ask what she did in the end.

Lisa
Thanks Lisa, I'm realxing more by the minute .....

MrsDV
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

fionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nice

I can't say about schools in Calgary but here in Drayton Valley, Alberta we were asked for the study permits when we enrolled the kids and we were also asked for the updated ones when our work permits were due for renewal.

Fiona
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:10 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say a definite yes............ you need them. Every time I did something with the lad here, they required them. The school board and the schools, and we are a small city 2.5 hours south of Calgary where you would assume people are more ignorant to the law, but nope, they want them....

Hope that helps you!

Mrs Miggins xx
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
I would say a definite yes............ you need them. Every time I did something with the lad here, they required them. The school board and the schools, and we are a small city 2.5 hours south of Calgary where you would assume people are more ignorant to the law, but nope, they want them....

Hope that helps you!

Mrs Miggins xx
Thanks ladies, we will definitely be getting the study permits.

MrsDV
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:21 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gmb;
And I think you do require study permits for the kids ([URL
http://tinyurl.com/385qyk[/url]) unless you plan to homeschool.
Question from the unwise...

We would plan to Home Educate as we do in the UK, but, would it be worth getting the study permits just in case that we a) wish to enter the system at some point via either ours or the girls choice or b) take part in some of the part-time and sports options which exist.

Don't wish to be rude in asking - but how much are we talking roughly for a study permit per child - as at present our children wouldn't enter school officially for another 3 years in Canada (but it would be this Sept in the UK) so by the time they were ready for Canadian education, we would hopefully have full PR status anyway??

Oh I am now getting very confused.

Can anyone help with some or all of this?

PS We will be in Sask.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:29 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
We would plan to Home Educate as we do in the UK, but, would it be worth getting the study permits
No.

just in case that we a) wish to enter the system at some point via either ours or the girls choice
If and when that happens, and if your kids do need study permits to enter the system, you could apply for the study permits at that point.

or b) take part in some of the part-time and sports options which exist.
I don't know which part-time or sports options you're thinking of. Most children's sports and other extra-curricular activities are organized through community associations, independently of schools and outside of school time.

Don't wish to be rude in asking - but how much are we talking roughly for a study permit per child
$125 per person.
x
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:31 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
No.

If and when that happens, and if your kids do need study permits to enter the system, you could apply for the study permits at that point.

I don't know which part-time or sports options you're thinking of. Most children's sports and other extra-curricular activities are organized through community associations, independently of schools and outside of school time.

$125 per person.
x
Ha ha - not funny but greater enlightenment - Thank you Judy....you are such a mine.

I will file for later.

Dawn
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins

Hope that helps you!

Mrs Miggins xx
Mrs M

Beg to differ but LEthbridge No51 School Board told me not to bother getting Study Permits for Hannah and Nate and registering them without the permits was ok - just needed copy of the TWP and SOWP.

If you remember as me and the kids were coming over there was a lot of confusion over Study Permits for the Kids of TWP holders - Dunniflat actually had to have one for her sone who wasnt even going to be going to Kindie. The end result of everyones discussion was to get one for each child just to be safe but as I said Nate and Han dont have them just notes on their passports of Phils TWP and my SOWP.

Gay
x