Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Humanitarian & Compassionate grounds...

Humanitarian & Compassionate grounds...

Old Jul 9th 2001, 9:35 pm
austenhealeySPAMLESS

I am British, my boyfriend of 4 years is a Canadian citizen, we live in the UK.
Although I am a computer programmer, I cannot qualify as an Independent immigrant any
which way I look at it, as I have no degree and only 18 months experience. If we were
to continue to reside in the UK, we wouldn't necessarily be considering marriage -
but it seems that is our (my) only option in going to Canada.

If anyone has any suggestions as to an alternative route of entry, notably some
advice about under what types of circumstance people are generally granted PR on
humanitarian and compassionate grounds, I would be *so* grateful. I fully appreciate
the role marriage plays in the 'proof' of a relationship, but there's no denying that
we would mainly/only be doing it in order for me to gain entry via spousal
sponsorship, which makes me a little uncomfortable..!

I guess I am thinking along the lines of entering as a visitor; applying from within
- is that possible? And if I receive an AIP, I can work?

It's not my first choice; I would much prefer to have things wrapped up before
leaving, but I am getting to the point where I am willing to investigate anything
if it means I can instigate proceedings in moving to somewhere that already feels
like home...

Thanks for listening, Claire

Old Jul 10th 2001, 4:39 pm
Paul

I am british and my fiancee is canadian. We too were both working in london and then
both of us flew to canada in may. I went in on a visitors visa. We are marrying in
september and then will apply for PR from within. The humanitarian and compassionate
grounds are usually the fact that you are now married and it would be too much stress
to split husband and wife up. they ask you why you can't apply in your own country.
In my case it would be that we wanted to get married in canada as some of my fiancees
family were unable to fly to england and also that my family have moved away abroad
so there is not much family left in the uk for me anyway. as far as i am aware it is
very rare that husband and wife are split up unless immigration have solid reason to
believe that you just married to get into the country

paul

[email protected]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 21st 2001, 3:22 pm
G & C Boudreau

To apply from within Canada you would have to be married. He can sponser you as his
fiance, but that also requires you get married within 90 days.

You can come as a visitor, but I know coming from the states that was only for 6
months for me. And we were married before that time was up and I was able to apply
from within.

Even if he did sponser you as a fiance he would have to show the ability to support
you in Canada, which means he would have to be working there.

C. Boudreau

>
the
    >
Independent
    >
months
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >