Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How's the Immigration Process going?

How's the Immigration Process going?

Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:25 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Question How's the Immigration Process going?

Hi All

I've just joined the forum as we are about to start the process of applying to immigrate to Canada from the UK. My boyfriend and I will be applying under the 'Skilled Worker' category.

I know this is a really broad question, but I'm just trying to get as much information as I can at the moment.

How is the process going for you? Does anyone have any tips or advice to give me? How long have you been waiting, and have you had any hiccups along the way?

Many Thanks for any replies
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How's the Immigration Process going?

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hi All

I've just joined the forum as we are about to start the process of applying to immigrate to Canada from the UK. My boyfriend and I will be applying under the 'Skilled Worker' category.

I know this is a really broad question, but I'm just trying to get as much information as I can at the moment.

How is the process going for you? Does anyone have any tips or advice to give me? How long have you been waiting, and have you had any hiccups along the way?

Many Thanks for any replies
Hi,

I recently attended the 'Emigrate Show' held at Sandown Race Course a couple of weeks back, as I had been reading some horror stories about the processing times of skilled worker visa's taking up to 33 months. I decided the best way was to speak to the Canadian High Commission Direct. This is what I was told in a nutshell, From the time of submitting your application, you will get your AOR (File Number) within 3 months, I hear some people are getting them a lot quicker than this, the CHC are really getting there fingers out at the moment. About 18 months after this you should receive a letter either to inform you of an interview being needed or to say the interview has been waived and to go for your medicals, after the medicals are complete the process is then quiet straightforward and quick. On the whole the process should take about 20-24 months, the best advice I can give you is to check your application carefully before submitting as mistakes can prove very time consuming for you and the CHC.

Myself and my husband submitted our application on 13th March 2004, We received our file number on 11th June 2005, I was told by the Canadian High Commission that our file will be reviewed around October 2005, so hopefully this time next year we should receive notification to go for our medicals, so I reckon early 2006 we should receive our visas (fingers crossed).

We were told in the group seminar at the show that over 80% of UK applications are waived for interview, you just need to take extra care of filling out the application form. There is another show in March 2005 where you can talk to the High Commission direct and attend the seminars, you will then get the most up to date information, especially regarding processing times, as they are receiving a large amount of new applications daily, due to the pass mark being lowered, which unfortunately means longer waiting times.

I hope this has been helpful

Good Luck