Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How to obtain PR for independant children

How to obtain PR for independant children

Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

gillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant future
Default How to obtain PR for independant children

Hi

My husband, 17 year old son and myself now have PR in Canada and will be coming out in September. However our 22 year daughter, a graduate in psychology, is doing an internship in New York and hopes to join us when she finishes in April, 09. The CIC would not accept her as an dependant. Could anyone therefore let us know the best way to get her a visa so she can join us. She will be dependant on us totally when the internship finishes and we are moving her clothes etc. with us to Canada, as she genuinely has nowhere to store them. Could we apply under humanitarian grounds?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:55 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to obtain PR for independant children

Why CIC didn't accept her as dependent in your original application?

If she was under 22 and full time student at the time of application, continues to be full time student since before turning 22, was and continues to be your dependent, is unmarried and not in common-law relationship and underwent medicals with you all then what's the problem?

If you won't be able to add her to your case (it still may be a chance, although very slim) then there is nothing you can do once you land. She will be completely on her own, even if still financially dependent from you.

But if her internship is not a part of her study and she already completed her education then she is no longer a dependent. She will have to apply on her own once she qualifies.

I would strongly suggest her to find job in Canada after her internship in US is completed - this will be the fastest and surest route leading to her own PR application and speedy processing.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

gillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant futuregillevans has a brilliant future

Hi

Just to clarify unfortunately we were not approved under the BC PNP until after she had turned 22 and we could not apply for PR status until this had been approved. CIC said because she had a job between leaving Uni and the internship she could not be classed as dependant. We did apeal and sent proof she had applied for an internship while still at Uni but they did not accept this. She would also like to qualify and then work as a ski instructor once she gets to Canada (she is brilliant with children) and wondered if she could get PR status this way.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gill and Ray.

Why CIC didn't accept her as dependent in your original application?

If she was under 22 and full time student at the time of application, continues to be full time student since before turning 22, was and continues to be your dependent, is unmarried and not in common-law relationship and underwent medicals with you all then what's the problem?

If you won't be able to add her to your case (it still may be a chance, although very slim) then there is nothing you can do once you land. She will be completely on her own, even if still financially dependent from you.

But if her internship is not a part of her study and she already completed her education then she is no longer a dependent. She will have to apply on her own once she qualifies.

I would strongly suggest her to find job in Canada after her internship in US is completed - this will be the fastest and surest route leading to her own PR application and speedy processing.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:05 am

Just as I wrote in my previous reply - getting job in Canada, working here on valid work permit in skilled occupation and having employer express in writing intentions to convert current temporary employment to permanent position after your daughter becomes a PR would be the best route (a PNP route would also work), providing of course that she meets other selection criteria.

Work of ski instructor is a seasonal thing, thus it won't help.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=gillevans;6726483]When I e-mailed BC PNP some time ago I understood they said that Ski instructors were one of the occupations on their list that were needed?

I thought if you were not in a specialized profession such as tradesman or nurse etc. it would be hard to get a job without being a resident. She has experience in human resources.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:04 am

BC PNP requires job offer - such offer must be for full time, permanent position. Cannot be a seasonal job. If your daughter is a qualified and certified ski instructor and can find permanent, full time job offer for non-seasonal position and employer is willing to go through PNP then it may work.

But why graduate in psychology would be looking for job as ski instructor?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
BC PNP requires job offer - such offer must be for full time, permanent position. Cannot be a seasonal job. If your daughter is a qualified and certified ski instructor and can find permanent, full time job offer for non-seasonal position and employer is willing to go through PNP then it may work.

But why graduate in psychology would be looking for job as ski instructor?
Hi

Thanks for getting back, its just that she has always skied (being part of a the University ski race team) and has always wanted to get the qualifications to instruct. As you suggest I think the best way forward is for her to stay with us and look for a permanent job and hope that an employer will delay her start till she gets a work permit in place, but can you apply for PR from Canada?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:42 am

Yes, by sending WP and/or PR application to proper visa post abroad.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Yes, by sending WP and/or PR application to proper visa post abroad.
Thanks very much for your help

Gill