Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How much funds necessary at the airport?

How much funds necessary at the airport?

Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Optimistic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much funds necessary at the airport?

Hi,

I will be posting my experience with CHC and Royal Mail U.K. very soon(its interesting, believe me). In the mean time I have a question.

Do I have to take the same amount of funds as declared initially in my application when I applied for immigration or can I take only the minimum amount required by rules(I can do with some luxury with the remaining)? Not really. I am working in the U.K. and would like to work till the end of my contract otherwise I will loose my bonus. I want to go to Canada for a short visit at the moment.

Thanks

OP
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Default Re: How much funds necessary at the airport?

Ok. Dont reply.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

You really need to be patient!

I'm no expert but I would *assume* as long as you have the minimum you should be fine.

Originally Posted by Optimistic
Ok. Dont reply.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

Hi,

I will be posting my experience with CHC and Royal Mail U.K. very soon(its interesting, believe me). In the mean time I have a question.

Do I have to take the same amount of funds as declared initially in my application when I applied for immigration or can I take only the minimum amount required by rules(I can do with some luxury with the remaining)? Not really. I am working in the U.K. and would like to work till the end of my contract otherwise I will loose my bonus. I want to go to Canada for a short visit at the moment.

Thanks

OP
I recently landed with very slightly more than than the minimum required, stayed for about a week with some friends to check the place out and returned home with virtually the same amount of funds. No problem with CIC or customs. Gave CIC the friends address for them to post the PR cards.

Prepare 2 copies of the goods to follow, with prices for each line item and total up all the prices at the end.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for replying. It answers my question. May I ask you shriver9, did you take these funds in cash or in some other form? Are there regulations to this?

Thanks

OP
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks for replying. It answers my question. May I ask you shriver9, did you take these funds in cash or in some other form? Are there regulations to this?

Thanks

OP

I took cash, in US dollars. I've read on this and other fourms that CIC can accept bank drafts, travellers cheques and even bank statements provided the date on that statement is the same date that you land.

If you take bank drafts, do take note that Canadian banks may take up to a month to clear it.

If you are taking more than C $ 10K, you need to declare it in on the form that will be given to you on the plane. Just state it for settlement funds.

I visited Calgary. The plane landed at Vancouver and we had to take a connecting flight to Calgary. The immigration and customs procedures were done at Vancouver as it was the first port of landing. These procedures took us about 1 hour as there were only a few new immigrants at the time we landed. The CIC officer told us that at busy times it may take up to 4 hours to complete the procedures. So if you have to take a connecting flight to another Canadian city, make sure there is a gap of 4 to 5 hours between the time you land and take the connecting flight.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks Shriver9,

This web sit is very helpful to me as I applied on my own and do not have the luxury of clearing my doubts and queries with a lawyer.

I will fly to Torronto from U.K.. So I dont have the worry of a connecting a flight. But it is very useful info for anyone who needs it.

Does anyone else has the experience of taking settlement funds in cash? Also am I supposed to take the same amount as declared in the application or can I take just the amount as required by the rules?

Thanks again

OP