Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

how long to land after PR is granted

how long to land after PR is granted

Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:19 pm
mpb
Forum Regular

mpb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long to land after PR is granted

Hi all,

I have applied for PR in the common-law class in Aug 04, through Buffalo, NY. I am hoping to get it in the next few months. My question is: how much time do I have to land after my application is accepted?

Also I am getting married to my sponsor in July 05, does this make any difference in my application? Should I even mention it to Buffalo?

Thanks for your help

mpb
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:15 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to land after PR is granted

Originally Posted by mpb
Hi all,

I have applied for PR in the common-law class in Aug 04, through Buffalo, NY. I am hoping to get it in the next few months. My question is: how much time do I have to land after my application is accepted?

Also I am getting married to my sponsor in July 05, does this make any difference in my application? Should I even mention it to Buffalo?

Thanks for your help

mpb
Your visa would be valid for one year from the date of your medical exam. Since you probably took the exam in July or August that is your limit. You should be getting your visa soon. If it does not arrive before your marriage then advise the visa office.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:30 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

I thought the Visa was for one year but if your medical was over 12 months you had to have a fresh medical?

[QUOTE=Jim Humphries]Your visa would be valid for one year from the date of your medical exam....QUOTE]
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:55 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Airseir]I thought the Visa was for one year but if your medical was over 12 months you had to have a fresh medical?

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Your visa would be valid for one year from the date of your medical exam....QUOTE]
Most often a new examination is required. Occasionally if the applicant is in the USA or certain other countries, it can be extended.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:10 pm

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Ouch.

So the longer it takes to get the passport equests following Medicals the shorter the period you have to move. Considering it can take 3 months to sell a house and then I have 2 months notice to work this is frightning news.

Most often a new examination is required. Occasionally if the applicant is in the USA or certain other countries, it can be extended.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Airseir
Ouch.

So the longer it takes to get the passport equests following Medicals the shorter the period you have to move. Considering it can take 3 months to sell a house and then I have 2 months notice to work this is frightning news.
Well those 2 things can be done in parallel of course. Every effort is made to get the visas out as quickly as possible.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 6:17 pm

Not that easy to do in parrallel - but at a push it would be possible.

The problem with selling in the UK is that the buyer can pull out right up to the day of contract exchange. This would potentially leave me in the situation of no Job and still a large Mortguage to pay. Far better to ensure contracts are exchanged and then work off my notice.

I am sure you are right that the Visa's are issued as quick as possible, and that it is up to us to get over there as quick as possible - however it does seem strange that they give you a year on the visa but issue it from 3 to x months after the medicals.

Well those 2 things can be done in parallel of course. Every effort is made to get the visas out as quickly as possible.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:49 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

The problem with selling in the UK is that the buyer can pull out right up to the day of contract exchange. This would potentially leave me in the situation of no Job and still a large Mortguage to pay. Far better to ensure contracts are exchanged and then work off my notice.

I am sure you are right that the Visa's are issued as quick as possible, and that it is up to us to get over there as quick as possible - however it does seem strange that they give you a year on the visa but issue it from 3 to x months after the medicals.
Worst case you do a short landing over a weekend and go right back to work on monday, expensive I know, but better than starting from scratch.

Good luck
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:34 am

That is the back up plan.
As it is I am not too worried myself but feel for other people who may live in a plcae where the property market has gone stagnent. Fortunatly for me I live in a small Lincolnshire village where the prices keep going up and properties have often sold before the estate agents can get the for sale sign up. Like I say it is normally 3 months from putting up for sale to contract exchange.

Mind you if they take 10 months from medicals to send PPR I will get worried.

Originally Posted by mhhp
Worst case you do a short landing over a weekend and go right back to work on monday, expensive I know, but better than starting from scratch.

Good luck
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Does it not also work in the reverse that the seller can back out at the 11th hour?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:57 am

It does - but I can not think of any reason why I would want to do that once I have my visa.

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
Does it not also work in the reverse that the seller can back out at the 11th hour?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

It does - but I can not think of any reason why I would want to do that once I have my visa.
Me neither...just checking but was just thinking of your concerns of the timings being all wrong and not having a job etc...but I guess it's the job you are most concerned with.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:22 am

I guess this thread has got a bit mis-leading. To be honest I am not too concerned for myself (I am sure life can change that for me ). I was just suprised that the Visa wasnt for 12 months and that you would be able to re-new your medicals if they went over 12 months. Renting for 2 months after sale of house would just be an inconvenience and at the moment I have 10 months left on my medical, so as long as passport requests come in the next 4 months I am still comfortable, if they come in the next 6 months I am looking at landing and then comming back to finish working my notice. If they come in 8 months I need a quick sale, land and come back to work my notice. If they come in 10 months or later I am stuffed

My main concern was for people who are in a housing market area that has gone stagnent. It is not unusual in some places to take aver a year to find a buyer and complete - but from what I have seen on this forum people in that position are aware of the difficulty and put thier house up for sale straight after IA.

Guess in short - I need not have joined this discussion for my own research but have a terrible habbit of working between two goal posts - best case scenario and worst case scenario and always like to know what the absolute worst case is. I then predict what I believe the average case is and work between the three parameters.

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
Me neither...just checking but was just thinking of your concerns of the timings being all wrong and not having a job etc...but I guess it's the job you are most concerned with.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

I guess this thread has got a bit mis-leading. To be honest I am not too concerned for myself (I am sure life can change that for me ). I was just suprised that the Visa wasnt for 12 months and that you would be able to re-new your medicals if they went over 12 months. Renting for 2 months after sale of house would just be an inconvenience and at the moment I have 10 months left on my medical, so as long as passport requests come in the next 4 months I am still comfortable, if they come in the next 6 months I am looking at landing and then comming back to finish working my notice. If they come in 8 months I need a quick sale, land and come back to work my notice. If they come in 10 months or later I am stuffed

My main concern was for people who are in a housing market area that has gone stagnent. It is not unusual in some places to take aver a year to find a buyer and complete - but from what I have seen on this forum people in that position are aware of the difficulty and put thier house up for sale straight after IA.

Guess in short - I need not have joined this discussion for my own research but have a terrible habbit of working between two goal posts - best case scenario and worst case scenario and always like to know what the absolute worst case is. I then predict what I believe the average case is and work between the three parameters.
Ah got it...here's hoping it's less than 10 months!