Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long did you wait to get landing card after landing?

How long did you wait to get landing card after landing?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:34 pm

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of
Default How long did you wait to get landing card after landing?

Hi,

I landed on Jan 8 this year at Peace Arch in Blaine / Surrey. They said I'd get my landing card in 4-6 weeks. However I want to book a trip for travel early March out of Canada and returning April. Recognizing that I should have received the card well within this period, not getting it will really screw things up, so I want to weigh up the risks.

If you landed recently, how long did it actually take to get your landing card after your landing date? Can you provide the following details. Thanks

Landing date:
Date landing card received:
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:40 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you wait to get landing card after landing?

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Hi,

I landed on Jan 8 this year at Peace Arch in Blaine / Surrey. They said I'd get my landing card in 4-6 weeks. However I want to book a trip for travel early March out of Canada and returning April. Recognizing that I should have received the card well within this period, not getting it will really screw things up, so I want to weigh up the risks.

If you landed recently, how long did it actually take to get your landing card after your landing date? Can you provide the following details. Thanks

Landing date:
Landed May 2007, my PR card arrived in 5 weeks, wifes took 3 weeks.
I travelled to the US without PR card, had no problem.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

icedcoffee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Landing date:
Mine took 4 weeks and a couple of days was begining to worry, but it came.

if you dont get it in 6 weeks I would call them.

Good luck and stop worrying this early ,
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Do you mean PR Card?

What is your nationality and how do you intend to return to Canada?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:15 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Landing date:
Not matter which country you fly to you will always need your passport. If you are British then just use your British passport. If you don't have your PR card through by then you should take along the paperwork the immigration officer gave you when you officially landed in Canada.

You should have been told by the immigration officer that the paperwork they handed back to you was proof of your PR status until your PR cards come through.

We Landed 24th oct and recieved our PR cards 16th November - so it didn't take long.

Last edited by Cookie; Jan 22nd 2008 at 11:19 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

tom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nice

OK, I am missing something. I will hopefully be landing in a month or so and figured that was it, end of the process and I can start working...

If I get the landing card a few weeks later does this mean I have to wait another few weeks to work?

I bet I have missed some vital fact about how this works

Tom...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom17
OK, I am missing something. I will hopefully be landing in a month or so and figured that was it, end of the process and I can start working...

If I get the landing card a few weeks later does this mean I have to wait another few weeks to work?

I bet I have missed some vital fact about how this works

Tom...
You're a PR when you land. The card is just the usual proof of your status (although you can have a "valid" PR card but already have lost your PR status as the card is valid for 5yrs).

I know a lot of PRs in Canada (who have been here since before the card was introduced) who don't even have a card. I don't know what they use for ID but certainly when trying to set up life here (health cover, etc) it could be difficult without one.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: How long did you wait to get landing card after landing?

Hello all

Am I missing something here. Are you all implying that your PR cards were sent to your UK address? I was under the impression that they can only be sent out to a Canadian address. I was going to send mine to Canadian immigration laywer but will sent it to my UK address if possible to speed up process.

Regards
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:55 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Hello all

Am I missing something here. Are you all implying that your PR cards were sent to your UK address? I was under the impression that they can only be sent out to a Canadian address. I was going to send mine to Canadian immigration laywer but will sent it to my UK address if possible to speed up process.

Regards
Only sent to Canadian addresses.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:58 pm

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
...You should have been told by the immigration officer that the paperwork they handed back to you was proof of your PR status until your PR cards come through.
Hi, well they confirmed that we were permanent residents at the point of landing, but I asked about travel outside of canada, and the Immigration Officer said that I should not do so without the landing card. From what I can see, it's more about getting back into Canada without causing confusion, as it would appear that if I already have legal status, and the right to return, with or without a landing card. Obviously having the card makes it a million times easier.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:03 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, well they confirmed that we were permanent residents at the point of landing, but I asked about travel outside of canada, and the Immigration Officer said that I should not do so without the landing card. From what I can see, it's more about getting back into Canada without causing confusion, as it would appear that if I already have legal status, and the right to return, with or without a landing card. Obviously having the card makes it a million times easier.
Clearing immigration on arriving back into Canada is no problem, it just takes longer as they need to check that you are indeed a PR.

The problem is actually getting back to Canada. If travelling by a commercial carrier (plane or bus), the airline/bus company may refuse you. Basically they have no way of knowing you are a PR, and you'll be on the return leg of ticket. Commercial carrier will want to see a return ticket or proof of PR or work permit.

Many many arguments on here about the legality blah blah blah of the airline doing this, point is some members of this forum have been refused. If you have a British passport IMO it's unlikely you'll be turned away. However, just be aware of the risk. I flew to the US without PR card a week after landing, and had no problem on the return leg.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Jeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant futureJeffinthecity has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Clearing immigration on arriving back into Canada is no problem, it just takes longer as they need to check that you are indeed a PR.

The problem is actually getting back to Canada. If travelling by a commercial carrier (plane or bus), the airline/bus company may refuse you. Basically they have no way of knowing you are a PR, and you'll be on the return leg of ticket. Commercial carrier will want to see a return ticket or proof of PR or work permit.

Many many arguments on here about the legality blah blah blah of the airline doing this, point is some members of this forum have been refused. If you have a British passport IMO it's unlikely you'll be turned away. However, just be aware of the risk. I flew to the US without PR card a week after landing, and had no problem on the return leg.
I landed on the 29th December through Niagara Falls...got my nifty little PR card yesterday!!Proper swish...loadsa coool stuff on it!! Started my new job today...