Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long did you have to wait for citizenship certificate

How long did you have to wait for citizenship certificate

Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

rizzelator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long did you have to wait for citizenship certificate

Hi All,

As the subject of the thread says, I was wondering if anyone has applied for a citizenship certificate recently and if so how long did it take to come?

I'm hoping to be in Montreal in august, been waiting 10 months for it so far and starting to get itchy feet over it not coming in time!

Thanks in advance
rizz
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you have to wait for citizenship certificate

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...imes/index.asp
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

mrshopper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rizzelator
Hi All,

As the subject of the thread says, I was wondering if anyone has applied for a citizenship certificate recently and if so how long did it take to come?

I'm hoping to be in Montreal in august, been waiting 10 months for it so far and starting to get itchy feet over it not coming in time!

Thanks in advance
rizz
Hey rizz, we sent my daughters application for a citizenship certificate to the London office in September last year-got the intial letter saying that they are sending it to Canada for processing in October, but have not heard a peep since. We are hoping to be back in Canada by August this year as well. Hopefully we both hear something soon! The cic website lists a number to call to check your status, but it only works if you are in Canada :curse:
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

I applied in June, the confirmation letter says that processing takes between 3 and 12 months in canada, i emailed the consulate at the end of january to see if i could get any info on it, and to be honest i dont think they were thrilled to hear from me.

I'm hoping that itll come in the next month or if not i might be able to get it fast tracked, if thats even possible?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 7:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I applied in June, the confirmation letter says that processing takes between 3 and 12 months in canada, i emailed the consulate at the end of january to see if i could get any info on it, and to be honest i dont think they were thrilled to hear from me.

I'm hoping that itll come in the next month or if not i might be able to get it fast tracked, if thats even possible?
1. No fast track, else everyone would apply for it.
2. You could have got a limited validity Canadian passport a lot quicker while the application for the card was going through.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. No fast track, else everyone would apply for it.
2. You could have got a limited validity Canadian passport a lot quicker while the application for the card was going through.
Why can't he apply for the passport now, if he wants?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:02 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why can't he apply for the passport now, if he wants?

He should, you don't require the card to apply.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

He should, you don't require the card to apply.
Really? I was born in N.Ireland to a canadian parent, I thought that a citizenship card was the evidence that i required to apply for a passport?

The passport application states the following:

To be completed if you were born outside of Canada.
1) Provide ONE (1) of the four documents listed below (no copies):

Certificate of Canadian citizenship
Certificate of naturalization
Certificate of registration of birth abroad (issued by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship)
Certificate of retention of Canadian citizenship (issued before February 15, 1977)

Of which I believe the citizenship certificate is the only proof that i am eligible to apply for.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

mrshopper is an unknown quantity at this point

Really? I was born in N.Ireland to a canadian parent, I thought that a citizenship card was the evidence that i required to apply for a passport?

The passport application states the following:

To be completed if you were born outside of Canada.
1) Provide ONE (1) of the four documents listed below (no copies):

Certificate of Canadian citizenship
Certificate of naturalization
Certificate of registration of birth abroad (issued by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship)
Certificate of retention of Canadian citizenship (issued before February 15, 1977)

Of which I believe the citizenship certificate is the only proof that i am eligible to apply for.
Thats what I was told by Passport Canada as well, made a point of asking in person last time I was in Canada. They said you definitely need to apply for the certificate first as you will need to send it in with the passport application. Annoying it takes so long to get it through though :curse:

Last edited by mrshopper; Apr 14th 2009 at 4:58 pm. Reason: spelling!