Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor?

How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor?

Old Jan 15th 2003, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

ukmale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor?

I’m a British Citizen and I want to spend up to 6 months in Canada, I’ll be staying with family and friends. How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor? I have money to support myself. Does anyone know how much I need (money) to prove to the immigration officer that I can support myself for that period of time.

Kindest Regards and Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2003, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Lion 63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I'm not sure what's about British citizen, but I know per sure(I'm an Italian citizen) that we (so all the EU citizens) have to stay in Canada (the same for USA) only 90 days if they enter the country like visitors. After that period you must leave the country. This is called visitor waiver visa(for the Usa) something similar for Canada.So I think if you are near to the period of 3 mounth staying in Canada and you want to stay for more time you have to informed the emmigration about any possibility to extend your visitor status or I assume stying more than 90 days without informing them about your intentions may cause problems to you.
And anyhow you have not the right to work legaly in Canada if you remain in this status and don't apply and obtain the permanent residence status.

Regards
Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Fargo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, so if I enter Canada and stay my 90days can I go to NY or somewhere for the weekend and then come back to Canada for another 90days?
Old Jan 17th 2003, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Lion 63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Fargo
Ok, so if I enter Canada and stay my 90days can I go to NY or somewhere for the weekend and then come back to Canada for another 90days?
ha ha,
Yes but you have to stay(in New York for exempl) out of Canada for other 90 days then re-enter again in the same year in Canada that's the problem.Do you understand?
Try to take informations from the British Embassy about that

Regards
Old Jan 17th 2003, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Fargo is an unknown quantity at this point

No, not really, please check your PM.