Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How long can I remain in Canada on Common Law Partner visa?

How long can I remain in Canada on Common Law Partner visa?

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default How long can I remain in Canada on Common Law Partner visa?

Is there a limit on the time?

We do hope to marry though within 2 years of living in Canada. Do I then need a different visa?

Also, is the common law partner visa a passport stamp? or some kind of plastic card?

Thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can I remain in Canada on Common Law Partner visa?

You won't have a visa as such, you will be a Permanent Resident and therefore be entitled to stay as long as you like (and apply for citizenship once you've spent 3 years there). You will have to keep up your residency obligations though to keep your PR - 730 days out of every 5 years.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:29 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You will have to keep up your residency obligations though to keep your PR - 730 days out of every 5 years.
That's true for most PRs, christmasoompa, but I think jameswales said in another thread that his partner is a Canadian citizen. If that is the case, he'll be different from most other PRs. Once he has become a PR, any day that he spends outside of Canada in the company of his Canadian common law partner or spouse will count as if it was a day spent in Canada, for the purposes of meeting his residency obligation.

The only caveat, jameswales, is that a day you spend outside of Canada in the company of your Canadian common law partner or spouse once you are a permanent resident (PR) will not count towards the residency qualification for a citizenship application.

Christmasoompa was correct in indicating that permanent residency was permanent residency was permanent residency, regardless of how you got it. You'll be getting it via the spousal / common law sponsorship route. Some people get it via the skilled worker route. Some get it via a Provincial Nominee Program. Still others get it via a business class application. And so on.

Once you are a PR, you will get a permanent resident card.
x
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all

Great info guys - many thanks.

How much is visa application at the moment?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jameswales
Great info guys - many thanks.

How much is visa application at the moment?
http://www.cic.gc.ca
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

So from this page:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

I have calculated a total fee of $550 CAN - is this correct?