Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How To Get a SIN (Canadian Social Insurance Number) from Outside Canada?

How To Get a SIN (Canadian Social Insurance Number) from Outside Canada?

Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

MAC32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How To Get a SIN (Canadian Social Insurance Number) from Outside Canada?

All

Please Help!!!

What is the process of Applying for A Social Security Number for Canada?

How do I apply for one from Spain?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Mac
Old Dec 18th 2009, 8:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How To Get a SIN (Canadian Social Insurance Number) from Outside Canada?

Unless you are a canadian citizen you cant get one while outside canada.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: How To Get a SIN (Canadian Social Insurance Number) from Outside Canada?

Ok I have an LMO (Yet to Activate my TWP for When I land) however I am wondering how I get an Social Security Number?

Regards

Mac
Old Dec 18th 2009, 8:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAC32
Ok I have an LMO (Yet to Activate my TWP for When I land) however I am wondering how I get an Social Security Number?

Regards

Mac
Go to a service canada office once you get here and fill out the form. Doesnt take long, and they can (allegedly) give you the number there and then even if the card itself takes a week or two to arrive.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Go to a service canada office once you get here and fill out the form. Doesnt take long, and they can (allegedly) give you the number there and then even if the card itself takes a week or two to arrive.
YOUR AWESOME THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:43 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

When I first obtained my SIN in 2003, they gave me a slip of paper with the number on it (think I might still have that somewhere), so I could give it to my employer. A couple of weeks later the card turned up. This was at the Service Canada center on Dixie road in Mississauga.

When I got PR this year, I changed from a temp SIN to a non-expiring one, and was immediately issued the new number and given a printout with the information, and again a few weeks later the card turned up. This was at the Service Canada center on Cross Avenue in Oakville.

My understanding before going to get my first SIN is that it'd be issued to me there and then, provided I had appropriate documentation.

Oh, and you can get the form online, just go here. Fill it out, print it, job done

Last edited by sharkus; Dec 18th 2009 at 9:48 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you All For your great Information
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:31 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

We got our TWP at the airport.............when we arrived in town we nipped to service canada and they issued us with our sin numbers there and then.
You get a print out with the number on and then the card follows later.......
LB
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

this looks handy

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/index.shtml